what do you like th most and the least about your dyspraxia

Chat with others about dyspraxia and share your experiences.

what do you like th most and the least about your dyspraxia

Postby nathanw-j » Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:02 pm

i dont like it because i was diagnosed and then my parents divorced and i haven't seen my dad since, it is a bit ok because i cant remeber him

i like it because it gives me an excuse to fall asleep in lessons :lol:
“I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.” ~ Marilyn Monroe
nathanw-j
Splendiferous Member

Re: what do you like th most and the least about your dyspraxia

Postby Steph » Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:16 pm

Why does it give you an excuse to fall asleep in lessons? I'm not trying to start an argument about it or anything but I just don't get why that would be an excuse to fall asleep in lessons-I never fell asleep in lessons at school although I have come close to it in training courses at work!

The thing I like the most is that it has made me have a unique perspective on life-sometimes it can be lonely knowing that nobody understands the way I think but, most of the time, I like the fact that I have this different perspective on life.

The thing I like the least is how it affects my organisation. I hate being disorganised although my organisation has got better over the last couple of years.
Steph
Forum God !

Postby wadey » Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:58 pm

I agree with Steph, dyspraxia does not give you an excuse to sleep in lesson

The thing I like most about dyspraxia is that it makes me have an imaginative mind.

the thin i most dislike about dyspraxia is that it affects my social skills and some days i wish that i could just 'fit in'
wadey
Site Admin

Postby Creative » Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:13 pm

The thing i like most is understanding about people with difficulties.

The thing i like least is not feeling like I'm very indepandant and struggling to socalise in groups.
Creative
Forum God !

Postby Rodge1991 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:33 pm

I like my empathy and creativity, my sense of humour, my long term memory, the idea that I am truly 'unique' plus other little things here and there.

I dislike a lot of things but mainly tripping over and bumping into things/people, not being understood, my bad short term memory, my lack of emotional handling, my incredible bad short term memory, plus so many other things It'll take up most of this page!
Rodge1991
Mega Poster

Postby nathanw-j » Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:53 pm

Steph wrote:Why does it give you an excuse to fall asleep in lessons? I'm not trying to start an argument about it or anything but I just don't get why that would be an excuse to fall asleep in lessons-I never fell asleep in lessons at school although I have come close to it in training courses at work!

The thing I like the most is that it has made me have a unique perspective on life-sometimes it can be lonely knowing that nobody understands the way I think but, most of the time, I like the fact that I have this different perspective on life.

The thing I like the least is how it affects my organisation. I hate being disorganised although my organisation has got better over the last couple of years.

http://www.dyspraxiafoundation.org.uk/s ... ondary.php - 9th bullet point
“I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.” ~ Marilyn Monroe
nathanw-j
Splendiferous Member

Postby Steph » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:20 pm

I read it but got the impression that it meant needing more hours of sleep at night. Then again, I'm an insomniac so any decent period of sleep would be amazing for me!
Steph
Forum God !

Postby Katielauren2001 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:50 am

Like: Not alot!
Like the least: Awful social skills :(
Dyspraxia is me I would never change that :)
Katielauren2001
Splendiferous Member

Postby trembz9393 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:01 pm

I guess I dislike being misunderstood and feeling sometimes like an outcast.

I like however, that my dyspraxia has taught me many life lessons about being strong, and self pride. I used to hate having this condition because I hated being different. I then realized; if I didn't have it, then I would be like everyone else, which wouldn't be me. I could have been one of those bullies, not thinking of how much people could suffer from my actions. I could have been one of those ignorant teenagers freely using the word "faggot" or "retard", and be so careless to what those people go through everyday. I like how it has give me a new understanding for people, and how it has taught me to never pass jugdement on anyone. I like that I have the mindset of wanting to know more instead of being ignorant like everyone else. It has been a long hard ride, but I wouldn't have my life anyother way. :D
trembz9393
Advanced Member

Postby kat95 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:24 pm

The things I like about dyspraxia is my empathy towards others and my determined personality which I think I have got from dyspraxia as I keep on wanting to try again until I can do something and if I can't I know I have at least I have tried.
The things I do not like about dyspraxia is my disorganisation, which gets me flustered at the best of times and my short term memory, I keep on getting into the habit of pouring a glass of water, forgetting about it and then leaving them around the house, a massive trip hazard.
kat95
Mega Poster

Postby Purple_Alpaca » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:37 am

I like the fact I understand how it feels to be “different“, which means I would never judge someone for problems they can‘t control. I know how it feels to be laughed at and looked down on so I could never bring myself to do that to another person.
I also love my imagination and creativity. When I was younger I was terribly depressed ( still sometimes am, my mental health is fairly poor ) and was despearate to escape. I joined a theatre group and learned to act and sing.For the first time I felt free. Performance felt like flying :‘)
I also obsessively read book after book and wrote long diary entries, poetry, stories, fanfictions and scripts.
If my dyspraxia hadn‘t depressed me so much I‘d never have discovered where my talents lay, and what gave me the most pleasure.

My dypraxia makes me so sad at times though. Just once it‘d be nice to understand things other people take for granted like how to cope with social situations without looking silly/rude/stupid, or being able to walk upstairs carrying a mug without spilling its contents everywhere!!

On balance I am slowly accepting what I can‘t change and modifying behaviors I can in order to appear more “normal“ in public. In private though, I‘m as eccentric and Hollyish as ever! ^_^
Smile, dance, laugh, live and don't take anything for granted. Being here is a gift.

“My advice to you is please don't ever sit in your room and lock yourself away because you don't think you're good enough.”

Hello(:I'm Holly.
Purple_Alpaca
Forum Master

Postby Remus » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:27 pm

Steph wrote:Why does it give you an excuse to fall asleep in lessons? I'm not trying to start an argument about it or anything but I just don't get why that would be an excuse to fall asleep in lessons-I never fell asleep in lessons at school although I have come close to it in training courses at work!

I totally agree. Whilst us dyspraxics grow more tired easily, that doesn't give you the excuse to fall asleep in lessons. Unless you was suffering from a serious health issue or something like Narcolepsy, I personally would find it quite disrespectful if I was a tutor. If you falling asleep in your lessons, I certainly recommend you catch up with sleep during your own hours or go see a doctor about it.

For me, the best part of my dyspraxia is the way it has shaped my life, my personality and my values when it comes to things like diversity and being different.

The worst part for me is the people around you and the difficulties what can occur when dealing with people who don't know the full story and how you have to do your best to try and make them understand.
Remus
Site Admin

Postby jemstein123 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:38 pm

The difficulty not understanding myself or who I am as a person. :|
jemstein123
Advanced Member

Postby nathanw-j » Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:01 pm

i have sleeping problems at night and find it easier to sleep during day
nathanw-j
Splendiferous Member

Postby _robyn_ » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:12 pm

I use to be aloud to fall asleep in lessons, but that was due to my anaemia not dyspraxia. And if I did fall asleep I was sent to medical.

I definitely like my eccentric personality. I can do some things other can not thanks to my long term memory and determination- I also avoid conflict which according to others just makes me a naturally nice person and I am unintentionally funny.

I hate not being understood.
_robyn_
Mega Poster

Location: I got 20% in geography- so even if I did know I bet it would be wrong.

Next

Return to General Dyspraxia Chat