Obessions

Chat with others about dyspraxia and share your experiences.

Obessions

Postby fizzi_lou » Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:53 pm

Does anyone else have really strong obsessions?
I know this is usually classed as being more aspergers but I go through phases of having obsessions with things.
It's usually a tv show or movie but it can be something more random. With shows I just watch them over and over again and buy all the merchandise I can find and decorate my room with everything about that show.
Past obsessions have been High School Musical, ducks, Sabrina the Teenage Witch, milk (don't ask, it was really weird). I also get obsessed with songs I love - I'll listen to a song on almost constant repeat until I get bored of it and then find a new song.
Current obsessions are Glee and Victorious (my Victorious dvd is on in the background as I type this)
I love Glee, I'm a gLeek
I am VICTORiOUS!
fizzi_lou

Re: Obessions

Postby Purple_Alpaca » Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:11 pm

I‘m the same xD right now I love Sherlock.
Smile, dance, laugh, live and don't take anything for granted. Being here is a gift.

“My advice to you is please don't ever sit in your room and lock yourself away because you don't think you're good enough.”

Hello(:I'm Holly.
Purple_Alpaca
Forum Master

Postby fizzi_lou » Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:31 pm

awesome, its cool to know people have the same as me.
I've never seen Sherlock, I spend all my time watching Glee and Victorious :)
I love Glee, I'm a gLeek
I am VICTORiOUS!
fizzi_lou

Postby _robyn_ » Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:57 pm

I'm the same, although I'm seeing a child therapist about me have aspergers so I think my intense obsession are more to do with that :P

My main obsession is doctor who, I watch it everyday- I have a massive collection of magazines. I have action figures and I write doctor who fan fics in my spare time. I have even written out the exact script for a episode before from memory- I have been obsessed since I was 6, now I'm 13 :p I'm still obsessed.

I also get small obsession that I lose after around a year or 2. I can solve a rubix cube in 2 minutes. I have lists of prime numbers on my wall and I know everythng about the number 233. And dont worry about having a obsession of milk, I have had obsessions with goats, strawberry milk- anything strawberry (I once went strawberry picking and it was the funnest thing I had ever done, until I went to a doctor who museum :D)
_robyn_
Mega Poster

Location: I got 20% in geography- so even if I did know I bet it would be wrong.

Postby Steph » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:11 pm

I have had various obsessions over the years (I have Aspergers as well as dyspraxia). The TV programmes I am obsessed with are Eastenders (never miss an episode!), Waterloo Road, Casualty and One Born Every Minute. I watch these all the time and it has always upset me that you can only get DVDs of Casualty up to Series 3! I have other obsessions as well-my ongoing obsession is with medical conditions. I have had this one since I was a small child-my mum used to collect medical textbooks called the Doctors Answers and I used to read them cover to cover. There was a round on body parts in the pub quiz I went to yesterday and the bloke who marked it asked if someone on the team was a doctor as we only got one wrong and I supplied most of the answers! I work in a special school and research any conditions that I don't know much about when I read them on the files. Over the years, I have had other obsessions such as wheelchairs, brands of pushchairs, pregnancy and childbirth and the television programme 999. I am also obsessed with reading real life memoirs of people who have lived through traumatic childhoods.
Steph
Forum God !

Postby _robyn_ » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:19 pm

Steph wrote:I have had various obsessions over the years (I have Aspergers as well as dyspraxia). The TV programmes I am obsessed with are Eastenders (never miss an episode!), Waterloo Road, Casualty and One Born Every Minute. I watch these all the time and it has always upset me that you can only get DVDs of Casualty up to Series 3! I have other obsessions as well-my ongoing obsession is with medical conditions. I have had this one since I was a small child-my mum used to collect medical textbooks called the Doctors Answers and I used to read them cover to cover. There was a round on body parts in the pub quiz I went to yesterday and the bloke who marked it asked if someone on the team was a doctor as we only got one wrong and I supplied most of the answers! I work in a special school and research any conditions that I don't know much about when I read them on the files. Over the years, I have had other obsessions such as wheelchairs, brands of pushchairs, pregnancy and childbirth and the television programme 999. I am also obsessed with reading real life memoirs of people who have lived through traumatic childhoods.

Weirdly enough I'm the same. I would not say I'm obsessed but I do sometimes google random illnesses and learn about them, and I know this may sound weird and some people think I have real issues- but I read about serial killers and interesting crime cases. yesterday I read about Steven Stayner who was kidnapped aged 7 and escaped age 14. then I read about his brother who grew up to be a serial killer.
_robyn_
Mega Poster

Location: I got 20% in geography- so even if I did know I bet it would be wrong.

Postby Steph » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:41 pm

Yeah I am really interested in true crime cases too-I find it fascinating from a psychological perspective and did Criminology at University so it links in nicely with that too. I also like reading fictional crime stories too.
Steph
Forum God !

Postby MontyDyspraxia » Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:08 pm

I am EXACTLY the same. I'm currently obsessed with Star Trek: The Next Generation, and one of the main characters Data the android, who has countless traits of Asperger's :D But these past few days, it has started to shift towards the Original Series and I haven't even started watching it yet! It is showing on TV on 11th April, I'm just itching for it to start! I've been watching clips on Youtube in preparation for it. I am particularly obsessed with the relationship between Captain Kirk and Spock since slash fiction is one of my main, lifelong obsessions. I also happen to be obsessed with gay men anyway (no offence to you gay women out there, you're awesome, too!) Did you know that Star Trek is one of the reasons why we have slash fiction today? Believe it or not, that's one of the reasons why I started watching Star Trek in the first place.

My favourite videos that I found on Youtube are:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3HcEgmd37Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iODVgsnTCw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCC0OaU8ndA
"Push! Push harder!" <3

And here's one from Next Generation. Data SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2j8kUXxxStA
"When we kiss, it feels like a flying saucer landing" ~ Strange Powers by The Magnetic Fields

My Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/BethGoth15?feature=mhee
Check it out, I dare ya ;)
MontyDyspraxia
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby fizzi_lou » Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:12 pm

See this is where I get confused, because I have a lot of the traits of aspergers and have done a lot of research over the past around 3 years which has really confirmed my suspicions that I have it. The problem is no one believes me or takes me seriously. My college just think I'm shy and have 'inner problems' so they forced me to do counselling and have a mentor person but I hate that. I just don't know what to do. I was referred for a dyspraxia assesment with a neurologist and he's referred me for further testing but that was a few months and I haven't heard anything back.
I love Glee, I'm a gLeek
I am VICTORiOUS!
fizzi_lou

Postby fizzi_lou » Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:15 pm

MontyDyspraxia wrote:I am EXACTLY the same. I'm currently obsessed with Star Trek: The Next Generation, and one of the main characters Data the android, who has countless traits of Asperger's :D But these past few days, it has started to shift towards the Original Series and I haven't even started watching it yet! It is showing on TV on 11th April, I'm just itching for it to start! I've been watching clips on Youtube in preparation for it. I am particularly obsessed with the relationship between Captain Kirk and Spock since slash fiction is one of my main, lifelong obsessions. I also happen to be obsessed with gay men anyway (no offence to you gay women out there, you're awesome, too!) Did you know that Star Trek is one of the reasons why we have slash fiction today? Believe it or not, that's one of the reasons why I started watching Star Trek in the first place.

I lreally love femslash, I love reading and writing it and even rp-ing it. I'm obessed with the relatioship between Brittany and Santana on Glee, and also between Jade and Cat on Victorious
I love Glee, I'm a gLeek
I am VICTORiOUS!
fizzi_lou

Postby MontyDyspraxia » Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:41 pm

fizzi_lou wrote:I lreally love femslash, I love reading and writing it and even rp-ing it. I'm obessed with the relatioship between Brittany and Santana on Glee, and also between Jade and Cat on Victorious

I'm not too crazy about femslash, but it's OK. I just don't have any femslash couples that I like.
"When we kiss, it feels like a flying saucer landing" ~ Strange Powers by The Magnetic Fields

MontyDyspraxia
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Purple_Alpaca » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:18 am

I <3 slash fiction!!
Team Johnlock!
Smile, dance, laugh, live and don't take anything for granted. Being here is a gift.

“My advice to you is please don't ever sit in your room and lock yourself away because you don't think you're good enough.”

Hello(:I'm Holly.
Purple_Alpaca
Forum Master

Postby MontyDyspraxia » Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:16 pm

The guy who plays Sherlock is going to be in the Star Trek sequel! :D

MontyDyspraxia
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby _robyn_ » Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:33 pm

Steph wrote:Yeah I am really interested in true crime cases too-I find it fascinating from a psychological perspective and did Criminology at University so it links in nicely with that too. I also like reading fictional crime stories too.

I love reading fiction law and crime books, such as the firm and the hidden man.
I also love watching crime shows (CSI, NCIS, law and order, law and order SVU, the mentalist)

Have you read any of the Alex Cross series? I have watched Along Came a Spider and Kiss the Girls which were both really good, I have never gotten round to reading some other alex cross books.
_robyn_
Mega Poster

Postby Steph » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:48 pm

I have never heard of Alex Cross but will see if there are any of her books on the Kindle store. Thanks for alerting me :D
Steph
Forum God !

Next

Return to General Dyspraxia Chat