Umm...Hi

Chat with others about dyspraxia and share your experiences.

Umm...Hi

Postby FindingMyFeet » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:01 pm

Hi guys,

I recently found out my friend has dyspraxia, she didn't tell me her mum let it slip, we are both sixteen and coming up to the final exams for our GCSE's. Can anyone tell me in what ways I can give her the best possible support.
FindingMyFeet

Re: Umm...Hi

Postby Remus » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:52 pm

The best possible support you can give her is to just be there for her if she wants to talk about her concerns or need help with something.
Remus
Site Admin

Postby Steph » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:07 pm

I agree with Remus. One thing that a lot of people with dyspraxia struggle with around exam time is anxiety and feeling like they could have done better. I used to constantly analyse what I had written in my exam papers and try and work out whether I had got the answers right or not. Dyspraxia can affect the way our brains process information so exams can often strike fear into dyspraxics (not saying that people without dyspraxia don't get nervous too). I remember crying when my French teacher told me she thought I had probably got a B grade in my oral exam (I was a bit of a perfectionist and wanted at least an A)-yet there was nothing crying could actually change and it just made me very stressed. Your friend may struggle with such thoughts around exam time so just be prepared to listen to her and offer support. You sound like a very caring friend and she sounds lucky to have you.
Steph
Forum God !

Postby FindingMyFeet » Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:27 pm

Thanks guys I'll do my best to give her all the support she needs, and I'm always free to talk or listen to anyone, it's just the way I am.
FindingMyFeet

Return to General Dyspraxia Chat