Dyspraxia - a question of tact?

Chat with others about dyspraxia and share your experiences.

Dyspraxia - a question of tact?

Postby cosmiccreeper » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:28 pm

So I was just thinking today and thought I'd put this as a topic. Do you think dyspraxia affects how tactful you are? If not, why not? And if so, does it make you more, or less, tactful?

Personally, I like to think I am a considerate person, and I really try and think before I say things, especially in difficult social situations, where I don't want to offend people. I guess I could have learned how to do this over the years through practice though, rather than it being a 'natural gift' I have. I've read that being different (having special needs in this case) can make people very considerate and thoughtful, but I know some people who are dyspraxic (and on this forum, from reading some of the comments) say that because of dyspraxia they can blurt things out without thinking, which can make them sound rude and seem uncaring. In other words, not exactly very tactful. But surely you can't be both tactless and considerate?

Do you guys often say things and immediately wish you hadn't? Or offend people and not know why?
cosmiccreeper
Advanced Member

Re: Dyspraxia - a question of tact?

Postby Remus » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:30 pm

When it comes to dyspraxia and things like that, I've always agreed to a certain degree that dyspraxia affects it but mainly, I think it's just personality which is the driving force behind it.

Personally, I have always considered my thoughtfulness as one of my greatest strength. I always think before I speak, it's rare for me to blurt something out although I have had the odd incidents in the past. I always try and analyze my thoughts before putting them out there to people and be considerate of other people's feelings.

I think you can be blunt to a certain degree before it crosses over into rudeness. I also think it really depending on the situation because I find on here, I probably sound a lot more blunt that I come across in real life.
Remus
Site Admin

Postby cosmiccreeper » Tue May 01, 2012 11:14 am

OK interesting - what you said about personality being the biggest driving force is something I agree with.

I too always try to think before I speak, if I make a faux pas I'll really feel guilty, to the point that I vow to never make the same sort of mistake again. This is probably why I come across as very quiet. Though I will occasionally say things that make people laugh without meaning to, because I've said something that they never would have said - so perhaps I can be blunt but I try to think things through as well!

And Internet forums in general will probably make your words seem blunt whatever you say - after all it is harder to pick up on nuances through text, and you can't use your tone of voice or anything to help you get your point across, even if you would do that in real life.
cosmiccreeper
Advanced Member

Postby nathanw-j » Tue May 01, 2012 1:44 pm

i tend to blurt thing out without thinking about it
“I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.” ~ Marilyn Monroe
nathanw-j
Splendiferous Member

Postby lycanfist » Wed May 02, 2012 8:23 pm

I often say things randomly, and which sometimes are offending, such as the time I accidently said my baby cousin was adopted :roll:. But ironically I am quite strategic, I am really good at strategy/war games :D
"You are what you dare" - The didact, halo cryptum
I am the worlds biggest Halo, and hunter x hunter fan :D
http://www.youtube.com/lycanfist
http://www.twitter.com/lycanfist
lycanfist
Super Poster

Postby Bladen » Sat May 05, 2012 3:37 am

Its not specifically dyspraxia itself that makes people thoughtful but rather what people go through, learn and become because of what dyspraxia has lead them to situations wise, me for example, I think things deep, observe and its a strength and its a downfall, I cannot see things simple because my experiences because of dyspraxia have lead me to not see things that way anymore.

Make sense of that if you will, I'm in a lazy mood so forgive my lazy typing :roll:
You might know me one of these aliases:
Spyke, Shoden

if not, well.
blah.
Bladen
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Return to General Dyspraxia Chat