Phobia's

Chat with others about dyspraxia and share your experiences.

Re: Phobia's

Postby Philip » Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:42 pm

Seeing Blood (but I don't mind blood tests)

The dentist even though my current dentist is fine, I do get quite worried (I know it important to go, to get any treatment done, but I am quite embrassed how my teeth look sometimes, a few small gaps not straight, small mouth etc) and would like to improved my smile to make it easier for me.

Having a fear of having false teeth when I am older (my dad had them when he was about 40 and still has them, due to his parents not taking him to the dentist when he was a child, broke a tooth and smoking since he was about 18)

Getting lost

Telephones answering or using one

Dogs, when I was three a dog tried to jump up at me, for no reason. (even though one of my uncle's and his wife now have a dog, we don't see them often, but their dog is quite daft and just got a lot of energy to burn.

Going to the doctors of fear of something bad. most of the time I just need to be told you are okay.
Last edited by Philip on Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Philip
Splendiferous Member

Postby johndurhamgreen » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:16 pm

I have a lot but, heres a few main ones i'm having at the moment is walking back in the dark on my own i get creeped out and also when pepole pepole in cars who park whilst you all walking near you, it really freaks me out, because I feel like it's a kidnapper.

and lamp posts + Trees ... that's really weird I know, and i'm not sure why, it's just I always feel like they're going to fall on me.

With phobias for me, I tend to have cycles of what actaully bothers me, does anyone else get that or relate?
johndurhamgreen

Postby in_the_shadows » Wed May 30, 2012 3:09 pm

Trypanophobia- Fear of injections/medical stuff involving needles
Gerascophobia- Fear of growing old
Pocrescophobia- Fear of gaining weight
I also have pretty major phobias of being abandoned and talking in front of people ^^
Should probably warn you all; I tend to write in a kind of stream of conciousness... for which I am very sorry

It is absurd to divide people into good and bad. People are either charming or tedious.
~Oscar Wilde
in_the_shadows
Advanced Member

Postby dizzyd » Wed May 30, 2012 5:46 pm

Ants. I really just can't function when there is an ant about.
“And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
dizzyd

Postby phoenixmiko » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:59 pm

Arachnophobia - fear of spiders
Claustrophobia - fear of small, enclosed spaces
Acrophobia - fear of heights
Trypanophobia - fear of craneflies
Last edited by phoenixmiko on Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
phoenixmiko

Postby stickyman10 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:23 am

Im scared of the london underground every time a train pulls in i feel faint and i get relly dizzy and i ahve to remain consious
stickyman10

Postby Priyaluvv8 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:44 pm

I have many phobias like:

Anuptaphobia
Chronophobia
Clinophobia
Cyclophobia
Didaskaleinophobia
Emetophobia
Erotophobia
Lilapsophobia
Priyaluvv8
Super Poster

Postby BethanyGillam » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:39 pm

i am scared of many things. I think the oddest being spoons. I cant touch a metal spoon without hyperventalating.
BethanyGillam
Super Poster

Postby synthi31 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:57 pm

To understand why we have phobias, try "Phobias: Fighting the Fear," by Helen Saul (Arcade Publishing, 2002). For self-help advice, check out "Triumph Over Fear: A Book of Help and Hope for People With Anxiety, Panic Attacks and Phobias," by Jerilyn Ross and Rosalynn Carter (Bantam, 1995).

Bridges. If you're freaked out by very large bridges, concentrate on those. You might head to the Chesapeake Bay Bridge and work your way up from being a passenger in the back seat, to sitting in the front passenger seat, to driving with a passenger and finally to driving alone (you can have a friend tail you if it makes you feel better), suggests psychotherapist Jerilyn Ross. For general bridge phobias, Ross often starts closer to home (think 14th Street Bridge or Memorial Bridge) and works up to the Bay Bridge.

Baltimore sports two tunnels, so head north and test yourself with a drive through the Inner Harbor Tunnel or the Fort McHenry Tunnel. As with bridges, your best bet is to try going through as a passenger first and then work your way up to a solo trip.
There's no shortage of asphalt in the D.C. area, but Ross reports that most people who come to her with fears find the Capital Beltway scariest of all. "There's something about it being a circle," she says. "People feel like once they get on, they can't get off." Follow the bridge model outlined at left. There's a limit to how high you can go in the District, but for many people the fear of heights is actually the fear of open spaces that are elevated, so hotel balconies can offer good practice, as can rooftop restaurants and Metro escalators.
synthi31

Previous

Return to General Dyspraxia Chat