Life Expectancy

Chat with others about dyspraxia and share your experiences.

Life Expectancy

Postby Neil » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:22 pm

So how long does everyone estimate that an otherwize healthy human being with dyspraxia does live for?
Neil

Re: Life Expectancy

Postby Remus » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:13 am

Overall, I would say we have roughly the same life expectancy as anybody else. We may be quite accident prone but at the same time, any normal person could suffer from the same accident. With our dyspraxia, I think we are generally more aware of our condition and our body limits, what we can do and what we can't and we take steps to deal with that unlike a normal person who wouldn't do that.
Remus
Site Admin

Postby Neil » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:07 am

Thanks for the excellent reply; and that's good news that we're not likely to kick the bucket far sooner.
Neil

Postby Steph » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:43 am

I agree with Remus-dyspraxia is like dyslexia or autism-in itself, it's not a condition that is associated with a shorter life expectancy, unlike conditions such as, say, cystic fibrosis or certain forms of epilepsy.
Steph
Forum God !

Postby Neil » Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:26 pm

My only concern is that because some of us (me, for example) have eaten a bit more than normal, and binge drank to cure the sorrow and frustration, and even take drugs for mental energy or for further escape. Lord knows the damage I've done to my vital organs because of it all. Hopefully it's not to bad, though. Thanks for the replies guys.
Neil

Postby Alice » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:11 pm

I'm not sure adiction problems correlate with dyspraxia. Therefore I think they're unlikely to affect the life expectency of an "average" dyspraxic person.
Alice
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Brian » Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:01 am

Same as 'normal' people. Dyspraxia is a non life threatening condition. So, life expectancy is the same as so called 'normal' people.
Talking is a sign of strength and not weakness

Help is always available and can be found here: http://www.dyspraxicteens.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=8414
Brian
Splendiferous Member

Return to General Dyspraxia Chat