Social difficulties

Share any tips or ideas that you have which make living with dyspraxia easier.(Please start a new thread for each tip)

Social difficulties

Postby megscullen97 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:42 pm

Me + talking = not a very good situation
My social life isnt very good at the moment. Dont get me wrong i go to a lot of clubs eg drama and i love it . I just struggle talking to people does anyone have any tips to help me get over my social difficulties.
An example
I went to london on a school trip the other day and i was sat next fo a girl i hadnt seen or spoken to in years and i couldnt even say hello we just sat in silence until one of us fell asleep.

Please help
MEGAN CULLEN
never judge a book by its cover...
megscullen97

Re: Social difficulties

Postby nathanw-j » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:42 pm

i get this a lot, but i usually ignore everyone but the person i want to talk to and it is a lot easier :)
“I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.” ~ Marilyn Monroe
nathanw-j
Splendiferous Member

Postby kat95 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:37 pm

Hi, I did have this problem and I still do to a certain degree particularly when talking to people in large groups. I think the most important thing to remember is try and be yourself! I know this sounds cliche but when I was younger I used to almost put on a mask and pretended to be something that I was not which I could not live up to. In reality I am shy but will be much more outgoing once when I get to know somebody better. I would just try and talk to people about common interests, if you like drama and stuff, maybe ask them whether they like going to see plays, what plays they like, or talk about music anything which can start off a conversation. Try and keep eye contact I know this may be kind of difficult I detest eye contact and avoid it when possible but reassuring lances of eye contact will show that you are interested in the conversation and should hopefully keep it flowing.

I hope these tips help, good luck megscullen97 :)
kat95
Mega Poster

Postby DystantMind » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:30 pm

When meeting new people and trying to make new friends it might be helpful to remember that they are in the exact same situation as you... Like when I started Uni I was nervous about meeting people but then I remembered that a lot of people will feel the same and they'll want to talk to you as much as you talk to them. Just try and give a good impression, be yourself, don't try and show off or be what you think other people will want you to be (i.e. a stereotype). I think I've put off people in the past because I've tried to be a 'typical boy' to try show off and people have ended up getting the wrong impression of me.

Good luck
DystantMind
DystantMind
Advanced Member

Postby kitty123 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:09 pm

When you talk to her start by asking her about her hobbies its easyier to talk then as she feels she is telling you about a subject she is really interested. Just remember to ask questions and look interested
"dyspraxia made me who i am today without it life would be boring (the little lifts you get when you manage to to an simple "everyday task like pouring juice without spills )" [/color]
kitty123
Super Poster

Return to Dyspraxia Coping Tips