people skills

Chat with others about dyspraxia and share your experiences.

people skills

Postby hayleystarmix » Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:19 pm

does anyone else feel as if dyspraxia affects there 'people skills'?
I am a very bad communicator, very bad at reading body language and find myself with a very short attention span/fuse with people. I never react aggressively but sometimes I just find myself really fed up really quickily then I lose interest in them. Also I find it hard to explain things outload even if i know how to explain things brilliantly in my head it never comes out right and i get very frustrated. Has anyone else had these problems? how do you cope with them and how do you let people know you're not being stupid? as one of the roles in my job is making sure clients trust you and im worried some people will lose faith in the practice because I cant explain it properly!
hayleystarmix

Re: people skills

Postby Remus » Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:13 pm

I have really bad people skills. I have fantastic empathy skills and I'm great 1 to 1 with people but when I am in a packed environment such as shops or college, I'm really awful, I just go to pieces even with something as simple as just buying something from a shop, I find nerve-racking.
Remus
Site Admin

Postby galexy96 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:14 pm

I also have terrible people skills. I just find it very difficult to hold a conversation with someone, especially one to one. I am bad with small talk and body language. I don't have much advice when it comes to improving, maybe practice some skills such as body language and eye contact with people you are comfortable talking with such as family.
galexy96
As Mad As A Box Of Frogs !

Postby wadey » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:25 pm

I also have bad people skills, once i get to know someone well and if i like them i can talk to them on a 1:1 but if they someone else in the room then i find it really hard to commuicate. I not very good at reading body lanague and i tend to avoid eye contact. I like it with all people this inculded family
wadey
Site Admin

Postby hayleystarmix » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:48 pm

another one I particularly struggle with is people that are hard of hearing, because my dyspraxia affects my speech people cant lip sync me :|
hayleystarmix

Postby Steph » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:48 pm

I struggle with social skills too. I am very bad at reading body language and social situations. I always seem to open my mouth without taking the situation into account and then I end up embarrassing myself or inadvertently offending someone. I give the illusion of having good eye contact though as I have become an expert over the years at looking at people's noses or foreheads so it looks like I am giving them eye contact but I'm not actually looking into their eyes. I don't think I could cope in work without this as a lot of my job involves meeting with professionals such as social workers so I have had to train myself to do this.
Steph
Forum God !

Return to General Dyspraxia Chat