Can't read Black on white.

Chat with others about dyspraxia and share your experiences.

Can't read Black on white.

Postby BethanyGillam » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:29 pm

does anybody else have this problem? How do you cope? It impacts me comstantly.
BethanyGillam
Super Poster

Re: Can't read Black on white.

Postby MontyDyspraxia » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:47 pm

Have you ever considered changing the background to a different colour? I don't necessarily have this problem (for me, it's the opposite) but my support worker at university always makes sure the background is a cream colour. It's not too dark; not too light. It might help you :)
"When we kiss, it feels like a flying saucer landing" ~ Strange Powers by The Magnetic Fields

My Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/BethGoth15?feature=mhee
Check it out, I dare ya ;)
MontyDyspraxia
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby BethanyGillam » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:56 pm

yes i like to have things printed on blue. I have an overlay too. I just get annoyed when teachers forget and i cant read the board. I just feel like it holds me back. I don't know wether it is a symptom of Dyspraxia. I have always just assumed so.
BethanyGillam
Super Poster

Postby Steph » Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:03 pm

It sounds like Irlens Syndrome to me which can be present with dyspraxia but it does not affect every dyspraxic. Special clinics can test you for this and you may be able to get tinted lenses which present everything in the colour you read best with. These are expensive though.
Steph
Forum God !

Postby wadey » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:00 pm

this sounds very much like irlens syndrome, it might be worth to check it out or even to read up about it on the internet.
wadey
Site Admin

Postby Remus » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:28 am

I agree with Steph and Lucy, it does sound like Irlens Syndrome. One of my fellow students had it in my class and had to have every printed off in yellow and use coloured screens to read.
Remus
Site Admin

Postby BethanyGillam » Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:18 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. I don't want to think that i have something else wrong with me. I will just have to wait and find out more.
BethanyGillam
Super Poster

Postby wadey » Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:13 pm

BethanyGillam wrote:Thanks for the suggestions. I don't want to think that i have something else wrong with me. I will just have to wait and find out more.

My mum is a trained person in Irlens Syndrome and to be honest most people have it but some people don't notice it while others people do.
wadey
Site Admin

Postby Sorc_Mac » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:13 pm

Plastic coloured overlays also work very well. I did a project on this. Its easy enough to get around but for a white board id suggest the tinted glasses. They help alot. It is suggested people use the overlays first before they get glasses. Also you could ask the teacher to use another coloured marker like green. Hope this helps. :)
Sorc_Mac

Return to General Dyspraxia Chat