Would you like to see me and Betsy perform at Crufts?

Chat with others about dyspraxia and share your experiences.

Would you like to see me and Betsy perform at Crufts?

Postby k9ruby » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:09 pm

Then please click on "vote" http://bit.ly/WmKj3S

Shameless I know but an oppurtunity of a lifetime for us both and I just know she will enjoy it! We want to show even if you have the co-ordination of a pregnant penguin you can still have a go at doggy freestyle/htm :D

http://bit.ly/WmKj3S

She isn't even 9 months yet :D
k9ruby
Site Admin

Re: Would you like to see me and Betsy perform at Crufts?

Postby nathanw-j » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:51 pm

who is bettsy?
“I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.” ~ Marilyn Monroe
nathanw-j
Splendiferous Member

Postby wadey » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:24 pm

k9ruby wrote:Then please click on "vote" http://bit.ly/WmKj3S

Shameless I know but an oppurtunity of a lifetime for us both and I just know she will enjoy it! We want to show even if you have the co-ordination of a pregnant penguin you can still have a go at doggy freestyle/htm :D

http://bit.ly/WmKj3S

She isn't even 9 months yet :D

Have voted for you, and I hope you don't mind but i have shared the link asking my friends to vote for you as well :)
wadey
Site Admin

Postby k9ruby » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:52 pm

Betsy is my 9 month old working border collie x working labrador and she is very clever! Thanks so much for voting and please do share us- we appreciate that as well!
k9ruby
Site Admin

Postby nathanw-j » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:29 pm

you make your dog dance?
“I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.” ~ Marilyn Monroe
nathanw-j
Splendiferous Member

Postby k9ruby » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:47 pm

Yes I do. She is trained through progressive reinforcement, which means everything is her choice. :D
k9ruby
Site Admin

Postby nathanw-j » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:00 pm

if you say so, i just think it isnt very nice and makes them look stupid
nathanw-j
Splendiferous Member

Postby k9ruby » Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:37 pm

if you say so, i just think it isnt very nice and makes them look stupid

Personally I believe a well trained dog (through progressive methods) has a better quality of life, has a better relationship around the people around them and much more freedom. Betsy is clicker trained so imagine if Isaid to you every time a lamp came on £50 would appear in your pocket, but the lamp only came on once you had typed 100 words of work, what would you be more inclined to do? :P
k9ruby
Site Admin

Postby nathanw-j » Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:07 pm

i get what you mean but i still think it makes them look stupid and isnt it a bit bad for their bones or something like that?
nathanw-j
Splendiferous Member

Postby k9ruby » Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:20 pm

i get what you mean but i still think it makes them look stupid and isnt it a bit bad for their bones or something like that?

Not when done properly. Of course, if you have a very young puppy jumping more than poles on the floor, or a puppy over 6 months but under a year jumping more than elbow height, yes there could be a problem. Or if you have a very old dog with arthiritus, or an pet dog that is obese and hardly used to physical exercise, then yes there may be issues with any weightbearing moves.

However, if you are switched on and keep your dog lean it means less risk of high impact activities, and actually less risk for rough and tumble in their lives. For example, some agility trainers immediately put dogs on full scale obstacles without working on balance, rear end awareness, basics under highly distracting enviroments etc- that is very wrong. However we have been doing puppy agility since Betsy was 4 months old- all she is working on is directions with poles at jump bump height or on the ground, weave entries, building confidence in tunnels, rear end awareness and balance exercises, contacts and motivated recalls. She is 9 months old. All of these things benefit her in other areas of her life- she is more eager to learn, has better focus, is more willing to offer concrete behaviors, gets on with other dogs and people, and has fantastic awareness of her back end (think of dogs as a two wheel drive- they need training to become 4 x4s!) which keeps her safe.
k9ruby
Site Admin

Return to General Dyspraxia Chat