Autistic children and certain schools

Chat with others about dyspraxia and share your experiences.

Autistic children and certain schools

Postby Rodge1991 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:01 pm

A few weeks ago I read in the paper that schools 'deal' with autistic children by leaving and sometimes even locking them in isolation-there have been case of autistic students being dragged into such rooms. The reason the schools do this? Because they can't be bothered to actually help the student out and instead take the easy route. Autism is under the umbrella as dyspraxia but I was treated like this at school. That's why I'm bringing it up
Visit my Dyspraxia Blog:http://www.DyspraxicFantastic.com
ImageImage
NUMQUAM DEFICERE ~ Never Give Up
Rodge1991
Mega Poster

Re: Autistic children and certain schools

Postby BethanyGillam » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:34 pm

When i was in year 4 my teacher left me in the stock cupboard all day. After that i wouldnt go back to school for 6 months. My mum reported it and nothing happend.
BethanyGillam
Super Poster

Postby Rodge1991 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:45 am

I'm sorry to hear that :/ It just so wrong and yet it is us that suffer- we need the support. For me the school knew it was going on with me and they actually used it as a threat that if I didn't 'behave' then I WILL be put into isolation for the rest of the day. I am hoping to expose the truth even more.
ImageImage
Rodge1991
Mega Poster

Postby SonicRocks369 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:30 pm

Shocking!! :shock:
Sasha

Sonic the Hedgehog Rocks!!
"An adventure's no fun if it's too easy." - Sonic the Hedgehog

Danger Mouse is Awesome! :)
SonicRocks369
Splendiferous Member

Postby Steph » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:48 pm

I have mixed feelings about this. In cases where it is used as laziness or a refusal to teach, then that is appalling and needs to be dealt with urgently. However, working with children with severe autism, I know that sometimes these rooms are needed to help them to calm down. There are students at my place who will become overstimulated and go into meltdown and then lash out and the only way to keep the other students safe is to restrain them and move them to a safe, quiet room. However, we never lock them in and we never hold the door shut either. The rooms in themselves aren't bad-it's the abuse of them that is.
Steph
Forum God !

Postby SonicRocks369 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:24 pm

Something or Someone needs to stand up/has to be done for these children! :idea: :|
Sasha

SonicRocks369
Splendiferous Member

Postby Steph » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:55 pm

Were you referring to my post? As I mentioned, we don't lock the rooms or hold them shut but there are certain students for whom a quiet room really works and is written up in their behaviour plans as being a calm environment.
Steph
Forum God !

Postby wadey » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:30 pm

I agree with Steph has said. The school where I work will put a child into another room if they need to calm down, but we don't lock the door or hold the handle. We will stay in the same room as the child and when the child has calm down and when the child says he/she is ready to go back into the classroom.

If a child is being put into a room because the teacher is lazy then that person should be reported as it is illegal to do that
wadey
Site Admin

Postby SonicRocks369 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:35 pm

wadey wrote:I agree with Steph has said. The school where I work will put a child into another room if they need to calm down, but we don't lock the door or hold the handle. We will stay in the same room as the child and when the child has calm down and when the child says he/she is ready to go back into the classroom.

If a child is being put into a room because the teacher is lazy then that person should be reported as it is illegal to do that

Ok, Sorry. :|
Sasha

SonicRocks369
Splendiferous Member

Postby BethanyGillam » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:05 pm

In my primary school me and an autistic boy were treated badly by some teachers. He was terrefied of pigeons and a playground worker put him in the sports outdoor storage shed thing with a pigeon inside. They were fired but it isn't fair that they pick on people with disabilities. Something should be done about it.
BethanyGillam
Super Poster

Postby Rodge1991 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:14 pm

It;s the thing to take a stand, one voice is too small. But with a large group we can be heard and this is what forces changes. I understand placing a child into isolation for a little bit but some of these were just left there for hours on end.
ImageImage
Rodge1991
Mega Poster

Postby BethanyGillam » Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:24 am

Putting them in isolation is wromg period. It happend to me. My mum didnt send me to school so i could be in isolation she sent me there to learn social skills and get an education. Schools are just lazy. It is the lousy state school system British people are so proud of. Joke teachers and support workers who cant be bothered to help just leave kids in rooms. You don't need a degree to do that there are too many carrer teachers and support workers. I dont mean to offend anyone. But i got all 2s in my year 6 sats because i was never in class. It is wrong i deserved as much chance to learn as everyone else in my class. But the teacher couldnt be bothered. Wrong is wrong doing something for a short period of time doesn't make it right.
BethanyGillam
Super Poster

Postby Steph » Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:23 am

So, just out of interest (not trying to wind anyone up here), how would you suggest dealing with a child with autism who can be violent towards their classmates when they become distressed? Other than removing them to another room for the shortest period of time possible, there is not much else you can do that protects the other children as well. I'm taking it that you weren't violent at school-where I work, the quiet rooms are used for children who have already lashed out at others and need to be taken there for their own and others safety. As I have said already, using it for any other purpose is wrong, as is locking the doors or holding them shut so they can't leave the room. Some of the students where I work will actually ask to go there when they are getting stressed or anxious as they see it as a calming place.
Steph
Forum God !

Postby Steph » Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:06 pm

I hope people are not getting the wrong impression of my workplace from this thread. Quiet rooms are only used as a last resort, as is restraint, and are used for the minimum amount of time possible to assist children with severe behavioural problems to calm down. We are there to help the children, not wind them up or stress them out.
Steph
Forum God !

Postby wadey » Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:25 pm

BethanyGillam wrote:Putting them in isolation is wromg period. It happend to me. My mum didnt send me to school so i could be in isolation she sent me there to learn social skills and get an education. Schools are just lazy. It is the lousy state school system British people are so proud of. Joke teachers and support workers who cant be bothered to help just leave kids in rooms. You don't need a degree to do that there are too many carrer teachers and support workers. I dont mean to offend anyone. But i got all 2s in my year 6 sats because i was never in class. It is wrong i deserved as much chance to learn as everyone else in my class. But the teacher couldnt be bothered. Wrong is wrong doing something for a short period of time doesn't make it right.

Sometimes a child needs to be removed for their safety and the other children safety. We don't ever put a child in there for no reason. Most of the time when we taken a child out of the classroom setting and into the quiet room they will calm down in about 5 - 10 minute and then ask to go back to the classroom. They are some child who no longer kick off and now ask to go in there when they are getting angry.
wadey
Site Admin

Next

Return to General Dyspraxia Chat