Recognising things as part of dyspraxia

Chat with others about dyspraxia and share your experiences.

Recognising things as part of dyspraxia

Postby lirael101 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:30 am

Does anyone else have trouble working out what's part of dyspraxia and what's just you? Like, I'm always being yelled at by parents and teachers for 'tone of voice' when I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. Does anyone else have this problem? Also, I have trouble recognising certain cues at school and always have to watch everyone else all the time to make sure I'm not doing something wrong...anyone else?
Be yourself, don't take sh** from anyone, and never let them take you alive.
lirael101

Re: Recognising things as part of dyspraxia

Postby Rodge1991 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:20 am

Same here!
I have looked on many Dyspraxia websites and books to get a run down of what could be me and what could be the Dyspraxia- most of the problems I have is actually linked to dyspraxia, including the uncontrollable voice level which I also suffer from, plus many other 'colourful' differences- I have drawn the conclusion that it cannot be controlled and it is just the way the dyspraxia affects me.

I find it impossible to control my voice at times, it is something I cannot alter. Thankfully it happens rarely, or at least I don't get picked up on it much-I don't know really. I find that my voice can go the opposite and become really quiet and I don't know it!

To answer the question;
The way I see it, if it says 'uncontrollable pitch of voice' on several Dyspraxia websites and books, then I take it as that and not my own person.

But it just goes to show how uneducated teachers really are, I mean even though I do have the advantage of seeing it all from the other side. I think if anyone is dealing with children, or adults for the matter, with certain 'complications' then they should be aware of the way it can affect the individual and also the others around them. Dyspraxics can suffer from self-esteem problems, as you are probably aware of, and to keep shouting at you for a problem you cannot control is only going to make matters worse.

But with something as trivial as voice pitchness etc, they don't understand what it is like, because they speak with ease-it is a simple task that ANYONE can do. Wrong. Does your teachers know of your Dyspraxia? If they do they should be 'refreshed' on the matter. Explain the complications you are having to your head of year-they 'shoud' be understanding and know how to assist you.

Sorry for the long winded answer but I don't know how to condense it down further!
Visit my Dyspraxia Blog:http://www.DyspraxicFantastic.com
ImageImage
NUMQUAM DEFICERE ~ Never Give Up
Rodge1991
Mega Poster

Postby rosestar » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:38 am

I have this problem, I'm always apologising to people because of the way I say things rather than what is being said. I'm not aware of the tone in my voice or volume and don't know if this comes under dyspraxia. I'm turning 22 and was only diagnosed with dyspraxia just this year so trying to find out what is related to it.
rosestar

Postby SonicRocks369 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:52 pm

Rodge1991 wrote:But it just goes to show how uneducated teachers really are, I mean even though I do have the advantage of seeing it all from the other side. I think if anyone is dealing with children, or adults for the matter, with certain 'complications' then they should be aware of the way it can affect the individual and also the others around them. Dyspraxics can suffer from self-esteem problems, as you are probably aware of, and to keep shouting at you for a problem you cannot control is only going to make matters worse.

But with something as trivial as voice pitchness etc, they don't understand what it is like, because they speak with ease-it is a simple task that ANYONE can do. Wrong. Does your teachers know of your Dyspraxia? If they do they should be 'refreshed' on the matter. Explain the complications you are having to your head of year-they 'shoud' be understanding and know how to assist you.

Sorry for the long winded answer but I don't know how to condense it down further!

I have the same problem as all three you. I wish people would understand we can't help it!!! :|
Sasha

Sonic the Hedgehog Rocks!!
"An adventure's no fun if it's too easy." - Sonic the Hedgehog

Danger Mouse is Awesome! :)
SonicRocks369
Splendiferous Member

Postby Steph » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:04 am

I struggle with controlling the volume of my voice too. Even when I try to whisper, I can be heard clearly from the other side of the room :lol: I always get told I'm too loud but it's something I can't really help.
Steph
Forum God !

Postby Paddington » Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:07 am

I am not sure if I struggle with this but reading this I suspect I might. Occasionally my parents tell me to quieten down and I don't understand why. This is usually when I get really enthusiastic about a subject. They also say don't use that tone of voice which gets me really confused. I would advise you refresh their memory a good way of explaining it might be that its a bit like your a CD player and someone else is controlling the volume (just a random idea but if you can explain it in things that other people recognise I often find this helps).
"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work"- Thomas Edison ( dyspraxic entrepreneur)
Do not judge by appearances, but judge with right judgment.”
Paddington
Mega Poster

Postby nataliekirkland » Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:49 am

I struggle with controlling my voice level and often when I try to be quiet as I want to keep something private people who i don't want to hear what I'm saying end up hearing so I normally wait until I can get them privately before telling them what I want to
nataliekirkland
Mega Poster

Return to General Dyspraxia Chat