Cycling - any advice? Bike, scooter or tricycle?

Share any tips or ideas that you have which make living with dyspraxia easier.(Please start a new thread for each tip)

Cycling - any advice? Bike, scooter or tricycle?

Postby bliss_jennings » Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:06 pm

Next year for uni I have to move off campus and live about 15/ 20 minutes away in the town. I'd like something to speed up the commute and, since driving a car is out of the question, I was thinking about bikes. I haven't ridden a bike since I was young and I was never really that good - I used to fall off and wobble around a lot which, since I'd be going along a very busy road, is perhaps a bit dangerous.

I did some research and found out you can buy adult tricycles like the ones here: http://www.missioncycles.co.uk/adult-trikes-c-23.html . I feel like these would be much better but I'm worried about being teased by people who think it's funny to see a 19 year old girl on a trike...

I did a bit more research into scooters and found out you can buy 'kick bikes', like scooters with a bike wheel at the front. Here is an example: http://kickbikescooters.co.uk/store/kic ... bzk5mRthN0 . This is my other option, since I was always good on scooters when I was young. But still I'm worried about being teased, and would it be too tiring for my legs?

I would really appreciate some advice! It is my 19th birthday in a month and my mum would like to buy me whatever I choose for my present :D
bliss_jennings

Re: Cycling - any advice? Bike, scooter or tricycle?

Postby Steph » Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:09 am

I would go for the adult tricycle myself. I know you worry about people teasing you but, on the link you gave, they look quite sophisticated and trendy so I don't think it will attract any negative attention.
Steph
Forum God !

Postby wadey » Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:53 pm

I would also go for the adult tricycle, I seen lots of them around where I live so I shouldn't think you would get teased
wadey
Site Admin

Postby Paddington » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:31 pm

Go for whichever you think is more useful for instance if you think you will be carrying a lot of stuff I would go for the tryke but if you don't want to go for the scooter . I think they both look good but the trike would probably be less tiring. I would go for it and don't worry about getting teased the pros will probably outweigh the cons
"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work"- Thomas Edison ( dyspraxic entrepreneur)
Do not judge by appearances, but judge with right judgment.”
Paddington
Mega Poster

Postby Bruce » Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:00 pm

Riding a bike takes a lot of practice, especially with dyspraxia. But if you do learn how, it will be a lot more efficient than a scooter or a trike.
Bruce
Forum Master

Postby Justsomeone761 » Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:23 pm

So, I live in the Netherlands and here éverybody has a bike. People assume that when you go somewhere, you take your bike. No matter if you're going to the bakkers or a friends place at the other side of town, you take your bike. Everywhere are special red roads for bicycle's and racks to place them in. It's a real problem not to have one, so imagine our parents fright when my brother and I just couldn't learn to ride one. Even though my parents are very understanding, they pussed us really hard to learn, and I'm glad they did. Eventually I learned. I can ride a bike quite well now. I have trouble ajusting to a new one, and can't have someone sitting on the back, but that's all. My brother never learned though. He has had a adult tricycle for quite a few years now, and it works very well for him. He rarely gets negative responses and has his own spot to park it at school. There is barely any differece in the severity of mine and my brothers dyspraxia. He can't ride a bike or write, and I can't run or throw a ball and can only write a bit.
I think it depends on the person. If I were you, I'd just go try to learn, try it out, try adult tricycles (you ussually can at the store) and see if you think you can learn, and if it's worth your time to.

As for teasing and other negative responses, I think it depends on how you wear it. If you sit on a tricycle with an attitude like 'yeah, this is my bike. So what?' I don't think you'll get teased very much, but, again, it is up to you whether you can, and want, to do that. I have never found carrying heavy stuff a problem on my bike. I have one with a crate on the front of it, wich really helps. I have to go to school every morning with a backpack filled with books and my laptop (for the writing-problem), and yes, it costs more energy if your bike's heavier, but when it comes to balance I've never had a problem. I hope you find a solution that works for you! Good luck!
Weeds are flowers too, once you get to know them. - Eeyore
Justsomeone761
Advanced Member

Return to Dyspraxia Coping Tips