Dypraxia Is it Genetic?

Chat with others about dyspraxia and share your experiences.

Re: Dypraxia Is it Genetic?

Postby wadey » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:18 pm

no one else in my family have dyspraxia however my brother is dyslexic
wadey
Site Admin

Postby C » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:52 pm

I think there may be certain genetic predispositions for disorders such as dyspraxia, autism, ADHD and dyslexia. However, unlike disorders such as william's syndrome and down syndrome, there is no clear genetic/chronosomal deficency. No-one in my immediate family is diagnosed with it. However, I have a cousin who has dyspraxia, a couple of aunts with dyslexia and a second cousin with Asperger's Syndrome, as well as a cousin who has hydrocephalus.
C
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Creative » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:29 pm

I often wonder if I had children would they be dyspraxic? My mum has some dyspraxic difficulties.
Creative
Forum God !

Postby _robyn_ » Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:20 pm

My dad said he was bit clumsy. But he was a fast learner and could do his shoe laces earlier than most (rather than me who still can't do them :P)

So I think it is just me.
_robyn_
Mega Poster

Location: I got 20% in geography- so even if I did know I bet it would be wrong.

Postby Alice » Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:31 pm

We're certain my Dad has dyspraxia and/or aspergers, my brother has dyspraxia, dysgraphia, and irlens syndrome. My Dad thinks he may have just mutated it, but we do have a long family history of "bright but lazy underachivers" and I know it's easy to conclude someones lazy or awkward if they have these kinds of problems.
Alice
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Miwa » Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:00 pm

My dad have dyslexic difficulties, my mum was a little bit clumsy and my aunt is known for being clumsy and forgetful ! However she is very good at gymnastics and sports so I don't know.. :') However my cousin is a diagnosed dyslexic, and my big sister had some dyslexic problems too. So it probably runs on both sides of the family, which makes sense.. I am not dyslexic but I am dyspraxic and probably dyscalculic, so I suppose that things on the same spectrums tends to run in families !
Miwa
Super Poster

Postby tigerwoods631 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:35 pm

Well myself, my sister, my mum and dad all have learning issues including dyspraxia and dyslexia
tigerwoods631

Postby kitty123 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:41 pm

i am sure its genetic. My mum has it my eldest sister had it and one of my other sister has it and theres me. Out of 6 children 3 of us have Dyspraxia. so i think it is genetic
"dyspraxia made me who i am today without it life would be boring (the little lifts you get when you manage to to an simple "everyday task like pouring juice without spills )" [/color]
kitty123
Super Poster

Postby Paddington » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:56 pm

I am pretty certain it can be genetic.
My family from my dads side has a history of mild dyspraxia. My grandfather once asked why I was doing some occupational therapy exercises it turned out he had similar problems ( un diagnosed dyspraxia)

my dad is dreadfully un organised has problems with time keeping and balance and has hand writing so bad even I sometimes struggle to read it (and I have some of the worst hand writing) he also has hand eye coordination problems ( one of the reasons why he will never dance). This again is ( I believe) un diagnosed dyspraxia

My brother has dyspraxic tendencies ( for those of you who don't know it means he has some of the traits of dyspraxia but not enough to actually be called dyspraxic).

I have it the worst but with three successive generations of my family having dyspraxia I believe that in my family it is inherited.
"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work"- Thomas Edison ( dyspraxic entrepreneur)
Do not judge by appearances, but judge with right judgment.”
Paddington
Mega Poster

Postby Justsomeone761 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:22 pm

i'm really sure it runs on my dads side of my family:
me: dyspraxia, possibly dyslexia
my brother: dyspraxia
my dad: dyspraxia and dyslexia (both undiagnosed)
i think my grandad, his two brothers and two of my fathers brothers have dyspraxia but they have never been diagnosed. the rest of the family, i don't know because i have rarely ever met them, but i wouldn't be suprised if atleast half is dyspraxic too. i think alot of my familymembers show traits of autism too, but i'm not sure as i don't know hem so wel.
Weeds are flowers too, once you get to know them. - Eeyore
Justsomeone761
Advanced Member

Postby nataliekirkland » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:13 am

I'm not sure- though some of my family have some symptoms- my brother has aspergers syndrome, and my Mum has some symptoms, but has never been diagnosed
nataliekirkland
Mega Poster

Postby Rodge1991 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:41 pm

From my research I have gathered that Dyspraxia can be obtained by the following means (this is only strong theories by the experts so there is a slight chance it may be slightly wrong or incorrect...don't shoot the messenger! :lol: )

1. Genetics
from Mother 37% Chance
From Father 60% Chance

2. Lack of/no air to the brain at birth

3. Serious head injury, e.g stroke etc
Visit my Dyspraxia Blog:http://www.DyspraxicFantastic.com
ImageImage
NUMQUAM DEFICERE ~ Never Give Up
Rodge1991
Mega Poster

Previous

Return to General Dyspraxia Chat