Bowling

Chat with others about dyspraxia and share your experiences.

Bowling

Postby Remus » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:01 am

Anyone here go bowling? I haven't been since I was little but I would like to try it now as it looks fun as well as a form of exercising my arms. However, the whole shoes thing is putting me off with me being unable to tie. I have a pair of walking boots which are laces but my parents tie them for me tight in the house before I ever go out in them but the thought of someone having to tie them for me in public, I find so embarrassing and degrading.
Remus
Site Admin

Re: Bowling

Postby Steph » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:47 pm

I love bowling! I go fairly regularly, both with work and socially. I used to use the frame that you can push the ball down but now bowl freestyle with the bumpers up so the ball has a chance of knocking down some pins! Regarding the shoes, I believe that some of them come with Velcro if you ask around so that could be an option. Also some newer places let you bowl in your own shoes now.
Steph
Forum God !

Postby BethanyGillam » Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:25 pm

Dont need to change shoe all the time. I told members of this forum that there is a sport out there for every one. Hope you found yours good luck. Ps ask for velcro if you must change shoes or just tuck your laces in. It will be fine.
BethanyGillam
Super Poster

Postby Remus » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:04 pm

Thanks guys. I might pop into my local one and ask if they do velcro.
Remus
Site Admin

Postby wadey » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:25 am

I Sometimes go bowling, but not often as it hurts my wrist (have slight arthetics) but like they others said they should have velco shoes
wadey
Site Admin

Postby Paddington » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:52 am

Bowling is a really fun sport and is well worth the go if your local bowling place only has lace ups there is a was you may be able to get round this. if it is just the bow tieing you struggle with then tie a simple knot 2wice to keep the shoes on and tuck the lose ends into the shoes over time if you go regularly you might decide to get your own and then you could get Velcro.
"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work"- Thomas Edison ( dyspraxic entrepreneur)
Do not judge by appearances, but judge with right judgment.”
Paddington
Mega Poster

Postby _robyn_ » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:33 pm

Well, I own a lot of awesome pumps that have elastics on the inside to slip on. They seriously are awesome and have just made doing shoes so much easier. But even so, with laces since you only need them until you get to bowling you could tuck the laces inside the shoe or wear velcro. Then at bowling you can ask for velcro shoes.
I love bowling, I usually go with my grandparents- except they always beat me :P but it is still amazingly fun :D
_robyn_
Mega Poster

Location: I got 20% in geography- so even if I did know I bet it would be wrong.

Return to General Dyspraxia Chat