Just been diagnosed guide

Chat with others about dyspraxia and share your experiences.

Just been diagnosed guide

Postby kitty123 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:38 pm

Hello so i'm thinking about writing a guide specifically aimed at teenagers that have just been diagnosed with dyspraxia. The reason for this is that there are lots of guides for adults who have just been told they have it, and many for parents whose children who have just been diagnosed, but there are few guides just for teens.

Seem so i wasn't diagnosed with dyspraxia as a teen i am calling for your help. Firstly is this a good idea or do you think there is enough already? If you do think this should be something i should seriously consider doing what do you reckon i should include in it;eg topics to include. What do you think would have been most helpful to have had. A short mini guide eg a page or so or a much longer guide. not professionally publishing it but just for the forum.

Many thanks in advance

Kitty123
"dyspraxia made me who i am today without it life would be boring (the little lifts you get when you manage to to an simple "everyday task like pouring juice without spills )" [/color]
kitty123
Super Poster

Re: Just been diagnosed guide

Postby Steph » Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:45 am

I think it's a fantastic idea. Topics I would include are when to disclose dyspraxia and how to do so appropriately, going through puberty with dyspraxia (the 2 of them don't mix well!) and sections on applying for university and also looking for employment as not everyone will want to go on to university and I think there needs to be a lot more written about dyspraxia in the workplace.
Steph
Forum God !

Postby kitty123 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:36 pm

I think this may end up longer than first anticipated, well I will start by thinking of the topics to write about. Obviously one will be what dyspraxia is but a simpler description as well as a more scientific one
"dyspraxia made me who i am today without it life would be boring (the little lifts you get when you manage to to an simple "everyday task like pouring juice without spills )" [/color]
kitty123
Super Poster

Postby Paddington » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:18 am

I think its an excellent idea. And I agree with steph it would be very useful to include how to tell your friends you have dyspraxia. I think you should also include what benefits we are entitled to. Even though I was diagnosed at the age of 7 it is only in the past year I have realised I am entitled to enlarged exam papers for graphs. Many teens are unsure if / what they are allowed and I felt really nervous about asking teachers without any idea as to whether I was allowed any benefits in exams.
"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work"- Thomas Edison ( dyspraxic entrepreneur)
Do not judge by appearances, but judge with right judgment.”
Paddington
Mega Poster

Postby kitty123 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:11 pm

so far i have the following topics to include.

What is dyspraxia
How dyspraxia can affect people(symptoms)
When to disclose dyspraxia
Dyspraxia and exams (including exam entitlement, revision tips and dealing with exam stress)
I think that is plenty to start with for now and more will be added as i write it. Feel free post below about anything you think should be added
:D
kitty123
Super Poster

Postby Justsomeone761 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:02 pm

maybe you should add some opinions and views on dyspraxia and common reactions.
Weeds are flowers too, once you get to know them. - Eeyore
Justsomeone761
Advanced Member

Postby kitty123 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:54 pm

ok so this mini guide is being written and is near completion. i will upload some of it for you all later on
kitty123
Super Poster

Return to General Dyspraxia Chat