Hello, I'm a duck!

Share any tips or ideas that you have which make living with dyspraxia easier.(Please start a new thread for each tip)

Hello, I'm a duck!

Postby Luna_is_so_cool_like » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:59 am

First off, I hope the thread name made a few of you laugh.
Lately, I've been really paranoid about the way I walk. People have frequently compared me to a duck/penguin over the years, but lately I've been more self conscious about it.
I walk with my feet turned out. REALLY turned out. It's so noticeable! I also always look at the floor when I'm walking around, I don't know why, I've always done it. This causes me a few problems, such as constantly walking into things, such as poles, signs, the cute guy in 6th form, etc.
The problem is, I can walk with my head up, but if I'm not watching the floor I tend to walk all over the place, I just can't keep in a straight path! The last time I tried walking whilst looking up, I ended up tripping off the pavement and falling onto a car that was driving past! :oops:

Does anyone else have walking problems?
- If ever you feel hella sad, just remember that you're hella rad -
Luna_is_so_cool_like
Splendiferous Member

Re: Hello, I'm a duck!

Postby Steph » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:27 pm

I don't walk with my feet turned out but I do get told I have a very distinctive walk. I bob up and down quite a lot when I am walking.
Steph
Forum God !

Postby Luna_is_so_cool_like » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:48 pm

Glad I'm not the only one who walks funny!
Luna_is_so_cool_like
Splendiferous Member

Postby nathanw-j » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:03 pm

i get told that when i walk my torso doesnt move much
“I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.” ~ Marilyn Monroe
nathanw-j
Splendiferous Member

Postby Remus » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:51 am

I've never had any comments on my walking and I have no trouble walking in a straight line which is why it was pointless when I had my dyspraxia assessment. My only problem is I do tend to look down at the pavement because I find I have to put in a lot of concentration, making sure I don't trip over something and because of this, I have smacked in signs and lampposts before which is rather embarrassing! :oops:

Although people did used to comment on me waving my arms up and down because I used to do that a lot whilst walking.
Remus
Site Admin

Postby Luna_is_so_cool_like » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:45 am

I sway my arms weirdly when I run. I can't explain it, but I do.
Luna_is_so_cool_like
Splendiferous Member

Postby nathanw-j » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:07 am

Remus wrote:I do tend to look down at the pavement

i do this as well or i trip
“I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.” ~ Marilyn Monroe
nathanw-j
Splendiferous Member

Postby Dan D Lyons » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:59 pm

I do look down a lot and I do kinda walk funny with a bobbing up and down sorta thing. People say that I apparently "run like a girl", whatever that means... :?
07williamsdj Nov 15, 2010 - Jul 11, 2012
Dan D Lyons
Mega Poster

Postby boopidoop » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:28 pm

I was once walking to my lesson, and didn't realise that my feet were turning in. This happens frequently, but ever since I broke my leg, it happens more :(

Some guys were picking on me, pretending to do the walk in the video linked below. I said to them: "Ok, try walking to that lamppost and back using that walk, one by one."

So they did. The first one walked up and tripped over his shoelaces, and scraped his forehead on the gravel, grazing his face. The second one made it to the lamp post, tripped up and fell into the lamppost and landed on his bum and the third did it successfully. I then congratulated him and then said "Hey look, a bird!" He turned around, tripped over his own feet and landed on his bum, and gradually started to roll down a hill.

Feeling glad, I said "Not as funny when it happens to you, is it?". Then I got detention for bullying. SERIOUSLY?!? :?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqhlQfXUk7w
boopidoop

Postby nathanw-j » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:58 pm

^^ HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
nathanw-j
Splendiferous Member

Postby Luna_is_so_cool_like » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:52 am

boopidoop wrote:I was once walking to my lesson, and didn't realise that my feet were turning in. This happens frequently, but ever since I broke my leg, it happens more :(

Some guys were picking on me, pretending to do the walk in the video linked below. I said to them: "Ok, try walking to that lamppost and back using that walk, one by one."

So they did. The first one walked up and tripped over his shoelaces, and scraped his forehead on the gravel, grazing his face. The second one made it to the lamp post, tripped up and fell into the lamppost and landed on his bum and the third did it successfully. I then congratulated him and then said "Hey look, a bird!" He turned around, tripped over his own feet and landed on his bum, and gradually started to roll down a hill.

Feeling glad, I said "Not as funny when it happens to you, is it?". Then I got detention for bullying. SERIOUSLY?!? :?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqhlQfXUk7w

That's amazing, that made me laugh so much! :D XD
I think the detention is so unfair, though!
Luna_is_so_cool_like
Splendiferous Member

Postby Bruce » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:33 pm

I'm just clumsy. Sometimes get a bit dizzy.
Bruce
Forum Master

Return to Dyspraxia Coping Tips