Am I dyspraxic? What should I do?

Chat with others about dyspraxia and share your experiences.

Am I dyspraxic? What should I do?

Postby yoghurt » Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:16 am

Hi everyone :D I am new to this forum, and I came across it when I was searching dyspraxia. Last week my mum mentioned to me that she used to think I was dyspraxic when I was little. I had no idea what it was but I read up on it and realised that I had a lot of the symptoms and mentioned it again to my mum, who said I couldn't be because I can play football and the violin (which I hate). But I am starting to have problems at school, and I don't know what to do. So here are my symptoms:

Fine motor skills- I have always had pain in when hand when writing, and its always been quite messy, which my school have noticed. I also struggle to use a knife and fork and my drawing is terrible. However, I have reached grade 5 in violin (which sounds good, but most people who have been playing violin for as long as I have are at least grade 6). I find it hard to hold a bow, and move my fingers quickly on the fretboard thingy.

Gross motor skills- I walk with a kind of stomp, and as I run, my arms and legs flap out. I am terrible at all sports except football ( or soccer for the americans) and long distance running. I am terrible at catching, and am very clumsy. I always spill my drink and drop things. but I have been playing football since I was 5, and I play for my local team ( although i do fall over on the pitch).

School- School was mostly easy in primary school, as the teachers did things for you, and we always had a lot of time to write stuff. I had some teachers who thought I wasn't trying, but some that gave me really good grades and understood me. but now in secondary school its much harder. I am really forgetful and disorganised, so i often dont remember to bring my textbook or do my homework. I am going into year 9, where I start my GCSE courses in some subjects, and we have to take a lot of notes, quickly and neatly. As you can imagine I struggle with this, and a lot of teachers think I do't try. I am terrible at languages and maths.

Social skills- I have a reasonable amount of friends, and once I get to know people I am fine. But at first, I am really shy with people and whenever they talk to me I don't know what to say so they think I am weird and unfriendly. I also struggle with looking people, especially who I don't really know, in the eye.

Thanks if you can help, guys. I don't know if I am dyspraxic, or what I should do next. My mum doesn't think I am, and doesn't really believe my problems at school, although she doesn't say it I think she thinks i'm not trying. Thanks if you can help :)
yoghurt

Re: Am I dyspraxic? What should I do?

Postby Paddington » Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:31 pm

Hi Youghurt Paddington here I am a 15 year old dyspraxic dyslexic welcome to the forum!

From what you have said it sounds like you have a high chance of having dyspraxia. The fact that you can play the violin has no bearing on it my dad has dypraxic tendencies ( he has some of the traits of dyspraxia but not enough to be called dyspraxic) and he is an engineer and used fine motor skills all the time dyspraxia is different for every one some people may walk in an unusual way whilst others don't. I do agree that it makes sense when you say your struggling in year 9 for me that's when my dyspraxia became really noticeable. The social skills sounds a lot like what I have and this too c could be an indication as well as the poor maths. The writing and the using of knifes and forks sounds like it would back the idea you are dyspraxic as well as the poor organisation.

If you definitely feel you have dyspraxia my advice is to go to your school SENCO ( the person who deals with learning disabilities) ( bring along a friend if you think it will help) with a list of symptoms and things you feel you struggle with and that dyspraxia affects if you think it could help mention that you talked to some people with dyspraxia and that they feel you are as well. Hopefully they will take it from there or if not try and bring in your parents to talk as well hopefuly the SENCO will help you get a diagnosis and then you may be able to use a laptop and have other benefits to make your GCSE's farer for you.

If you have a trusted teacher it might also be good to talk to them first they might also feel you have dyspraxia but never mentioned it to you.
Caged in chaos ( by Victoria Biggs) is also worth a read if you suspect you have dyspraxia.
Hope this helps :)
"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work"- Thomas Edison ( dyspraxic entrepreneur)
Do not judge by appearances, but judge with right judgment.”
Paddington
Mega Poster

Postby wadey » Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:09 pm

Hi Yoghurt, welcome to the forum.

I agree with everything what Paddington have said. It may also be worth going to your GP to talk to them and see if you can get a refferel to get someone to do an assesment and test to see if you are dyspraxia or not
wadey
Site Admin

Postby yoghurt » Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:15 pm

thanks guys.
I forgot to mention that on friday my schools SENCO told me to see her at break, and I thought I was in trouble so I went there and she told me that some teachers were not able to read my handwriting in the exams last year, and they had noticed my messy work this year. I told her that I was really slow at writing and that it hurt my hand and she told me that she had asked me to come here so that she could ask if I wanted to use a laptop in lessons. She also said I could use it for exams. However, i'm pretty sure that in GCSE they don't give you a laptop just because you have 'messy handwriting'. Maybe she suspects that I'm dyspraxic, but then why wouldnt she have got an educational physchologist ? unless she already has?
Sorry about that, O guess I just wanted to get it off my chest
anyway I really appreciate your help, and anyone else who comments on this.
yoghurt

Postby Steph » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:00 pm

It sounds to me like you have a lot of the symptoms of dyspraxia. I would speak to your SENCO again and ask either her or your GP about getting a referral to an educational psychologist who can diagnose dyspraxia.
Steph
Forum God !

Postby Paddington » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:53 pm

it may be she dosen't know how to your family will react plus Educational phsycholgists are realy costly my assesment cost about £550 also sometimes they don't want to say you definitely are this just in case you aren't. I recently got diagnosed with dyslexia but my English teacher had suspected since year seven ( 3 years)
"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work"- Thomas Edison ( dyspraxic entrepreneur)
Do not judge by appearances, but judge with right judgment.”
Paddington
Mega Poster

Postby yoghurt » Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:22 pm

thanks guys, I will keep you posted if anything happens. You really helped me, so thank you to the people that replied
yoghurt

Postby _robyn_ » Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:40 pm

Sorry if I am a bit late to reply.
I was diagnosed with dyspraxia when I was four and since then I have briefly played county cricket and I'm grade 7/8 on clarinet and piano. So this does not fit in with usual dyspraxic traits, however like you for how long I have been playing instruments and how long I play cricket it is more that I have just had to work a lot harder to achieve the same aims. And even still I can not read music and play piano and the same time, I have to memorize all my music and learn all my clarinet pieces by muscle memory because my hand eye co-ordination is pretty bad.
I'm in year 11 so right now I'm having all this lovely "so how on earth are we going to get you through exams" talks. In terms of using a latop, I am aloud to use one in the humanities and english as these require essays which I can not hand write (even with extra-time). In terms of obtaining extra support for exams, in turns out (thanks to that lovely man Michael gove -.-) it is harder now to obtain extra time and other things. Most people are required to have a medical reason (hence why getting a official diagnosis -not that you have to- could be a good idea) and you have to mark on nearly every exam you do how far you get in the time aloud without rushing. So if you were to pretend you had all the time in the world and do the exam and see how far you get. Then the mark you get with no extra-time gets compared and if the difference is very significant then that is a case for extra-time. (example being in r.s with no extra-time I got a C with extra time I got an A)
_robyn_
Mega Poster

Location: I got 20% in geography- so even if I did know I bet it would be wrong.

Return to General Dyspraxia Chat