Washing Your Hair

Share any tips or ideas that you have which make living with dyspraxia easier.(Please start a new thread for each tip)

Re: Washing Your Hair

Postby druchi » Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:16 pm

I love running things through my hair I used to have it very long *shoulderish length* and I would love running water and shampoo and conditioner through it.

Although I still have to be 'encuraged' t do these things :)
I must find a truth that is true for me . . . the idea for which I can live or die.
druchi
Splendiferous Member

Postby kitty123 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:44 pm

i realy cant wash my hair its not the feeling of the shampoo just the fact i always miss the front of my head and its anoyying
:evil:
"dyspraxia made me who i am today without it life would be boring (the little lifts you get when you manage to to an simple "everyday task like pouring juice without spills )" [/color]
kitty123
Super Poster

Postby Remus » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:39 pm

I hate washing my hair just because it always goes in my eyes and just sting like crazy.
Remus
Site Admin

Postby Dan » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:10 am

Steph wrote:Bar soap is very unhygienic-we are banned from using it at work for that reason as bacteria, including faecal bacteria, gets transferred onto the soap by someone washing their hands after the toilet and this bacteria, as Alice's mum said, survive in the cracks and get passed on to the next person. I never use bar soap-I always use liquid handwash when I am washing my hands and showergel when I am in the bath. As for washing my hair, I don't have any sensory issues with this but I do struggle to rinse the shampoo off properly.

It must be pretty rubbish soap if it can't even kill bacteria resting ontop of it. But yeah, I always use liquid soap, it just makes more sense to me.
Dan
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Alice » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:34 pm

Remus wrote:I hate washing my hair just because it always goes in my eyes and just sting like crazy.

It was like that for me for years, there's a knack too doing it without it getting in your eyes, I wish I could explain how.

I love washing my hair, brushing it, and trying to put it in plaits etc. This isn't a vanity thing, I don't think. Obviously the first one is good personal hygine as well as feeling nice, but the second too I like doing becase I like the feel of it. Has anyone else noticed how soft human hair is?

I like hair in general actualy, not just human. I love to stroke dogs I know, especially on the head or behind the ears where the fur is softer, I was the same with cats (except not on the head because they seem not to like it) until I became allergic.
Alice
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Bruce » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:49 pm

I just can't wash my hair properly! I have really bad dandruff...
Bruce
Forum Master

Postby Paddington » Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:53 pm

I don't like washing my hair it takes a long time and like Bruce I have really bad dandruff ( I find head and shoulders is really effective for this) . Luckily I keep my hair shoulder length ( its too long otherwise and just interferes with things) and so its quicker and easier. I also go for showers.

[quote="Remus"]I hate washing my hair just because it always goes in my eyes and just sting like crazy.[/quote]

I think it is easier if you scrub your hair not in the direct fire of the water and then close your eyes as you step in, leave for aprox 1 or so minutes then all the shampoo's rinsed out without the problems of stinging eyes. I find if you wash your hair and then your body the shampoo has more of a chance of getting out and not leaving you with sticky hair. The only problem is when this happens it normally takes me about 3 hours to discover this since I cant stand the noise of hair dryers.

Some how I am finding this quite funny the girl who grows mould and keeps black oranges in her room ( purely for experimental reasons) giving advice on cleaning ones self?
"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work"- Thomas Edison ( dyspraxic entrepreneur)
Do not judge by appearances, but judge with right judgment.”
Paddington
Mega Poster

Postby crimsonrose14 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:33 am

This will sound disgusting however I promise you its not as bad as it seems. I wash my hair ONCE a week if that. I use only baking soda as it is a cleanser and it doesn't interfere with my skin conditions, I found since using this my hair is manageable, less dry and less frizzy. I love it and it is so good for the hair. When I was 12 I washed all the oils out of my hair which caused extreme damage and hair loss. Baking powder is literally powder and will not feel slimy or sticky like shampoo so I strongly recommend it!

I noticed in the comments Dandruff and burning with dryers.

Dandruff, I fixed mine with baking powder and I swear by it though thoroughly wash it out!!! ALSO if it is severe and baking powder doesn't work then go to the doctors and they'll give you the shampoo my boyfriend uses he now has no dandruff and it smells good too. However washing your hair too much will take the oils out and this can cause dandruff and cause extra greasiness, the longer you leave your hair between washes, the healthier and less greasy it becomes. i can assure you as someone who is super conscious about herself I would not go out with greasy hair. SO ditch the daily washing of hair and switch to once or twice a week three times if pushed.

Dryer burning. Ditch the dryer its killing your hair anyway! Towel dry it carefully and allow your beautiful hair to dry naturally!!! Sounds mad I know however I used a hair drier three times this year, due to extreme cold weather outside I didn't fancy ice for hair!

Best wishes all xxx
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says 'I'm possible.

I don't want to be alone, I want to be left alone

Audrey Hepburn

crimsonrose14

Postby Justsomeone761 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:54 pm

I'm fine stratening my hair now, but that is because of a lot of practice. :wink:
I do really hate foam soap that you have in schools and stuff... also foam facewash.

I don't particularly mind bar soap, but I do tend to drop it, making it ineffective...

That. Very much. escpecially when it gets all slippery, that makes it feel so grose.

I didn't know how too use bar soap too, apparently :oops:
Weeds are flowers too, once you get to know them. - Eeyore
Justsomeone761
Advanced Member

Previous

Return to Dyspraxia Coping Tips