Should I say I'm dyspraxic

Chat with others about dyspraxia and share your experiences.

Should I say I'm dyspraxic

Postby Dyspraxic bear » Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:32 pm

There's a person in my class who says they have a major learning disability as they are bad at maths also they make sure nothing not lovely is said to the diabetic person. Nobody knows sept my best only real friend and my head of key stage be ause I always miss drop trip over or wildly hit off target they think I'm doing it on purpose and moan and complain also they say my writing is messy on purpose so people can't read it they mimick me behind my back and say things because their so loud I nearly always put my hands on my ears and close my eyes or go hide in a corner loud noise stresses me out also this person keeps shouting saying I'm weird should I tell e erroneous as teachers don't know and say nicely I needed to put a bit more effort in if anyone else wants to rant you are welcome however I think people may tease or bully me more than the snide remarks if I say
Dyspraxic bear
Power Poster

Re: Should I say I'm dyspraxic

Postby nathanw-j » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:01 pm

i only tell if people ask if i have a learning disability and even then i make them guess which one
Last edited by nathanw-j on Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
“I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.” ~ Marilyn Monroe
nathanw-j
Splendiferous Member

Postby Luna_is_so_cool_like » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:01 am

Making everyone aware of your Dyspraxia is the best thing you can do- I've informed my school, and I'm getting a lot of extra support; Laptops if I need them to type up my work, Extra time in exams and a scribe for exams, in case my writing becomes too messy.
People tend to be more understanding when they know you have problems too, my english teacher does all she can to help me out.
- If ever you feel hella sad, just remember that you're hella rad -
Luna_is_so_cool_like
Splendiferous Member

Postby Steph » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:09 pm

I have always been open and honest about my dyspraxia and Aspergers. I found my teachers at school really supportive once they knew and my work colleagues are too.
Steph
Forum God !

Postby Dyspraxic bear » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:25 pm

Thanks but it's hard to explain and I do think I qualify for extra time anyway last time I got it people teased me but I might think about my class knowing.....
Dyspraxic bear
Power Poster

Postby wadey » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:04 pm

If i applying for a job I will say i'm dyspraxic on the form. as with friends i wont tell them until i feel that i can trust them
wadey
Site Admin

Postby lilya » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:10 am

Im kinda having the same problem.
my writing sucks and the teachers grade me down for hanving bad penmanship
should I go through a long process of telling my school I have dyspraxia or not?
lilya

Postby Steph » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:23 am

If you already have a diagnosis of dyspraxia and it's affecting your grades, then yes I would definitely tell them. If you haven't yet got a diagnosis but feel you match most of the symptoms for dyspraxia, then I would contact your SENCO to get referred for a dyspraxia assessment. Hope this helps.
Steph
Forum God !

Postby wadey » Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:57 pm

lilya wrote:Im kinda having the same problem.
my writing sucks and the teachers grade me down for hanving bad penmanship
should I go through a long process of telling my school I have dyspraxia or not?

If it affecting your grades then I think you should - the school maybe able to help you
wadey
Site Admin

Postby safcjcp » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:33 am

I would tell people you teachers and people who need to know but with people other students it would depend on what type of people they are when people knew i had dyspraxia i ended up getting bullied a lot but a lot of people really didn't care but there were times when it was used as a way to get to me so i would fight them and then inevitably lose.
"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible." — Frank Zappa
safcjcp
Forum Master

Postby Rodge1991 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:44 am

This is going for the Passive-Aggressive approach.

Tell the teachers you have Dyspraxia; then if they don't support you then it's their fault! If you don't do very well at school and people ask, you can tell them it was the school! You tried your hardest but because of the lack of support from the school your full potential was not met.

Now when they ask (employers etc) what they can do to support you, you can tell them so they know not to make the same mistake as the school. Ergo, a better working/learning environment. Of course the employer/tutor will have to be open minded and willing.....
Visit my Dyspraxia Blog:http://www.DyspraxicFantastic.com
ImageImage
NUMQUAM DEFICERE ~ Never Give Up
Rodge1991
Mega Poster

Postby Priyaluvv8 » Fri May 17, 2013 3:10 pm

wadey wrote:If i applying for a job I will say i'm dyspraxic on the form. as with friends i wont tell them until i feel that i can trust them

I wouldn't either because I worry they bully me if they knew
Priyaluvv8
Super Poster

Postby Paddington » Sun May 19, 2013 5:27 pm

Honesty is always the best policy. However I know it can not be easy to tell people.Tell the person with a major learning disability to start of with they seem nice and supportive and it sounds like they would be a good person to help/stand up for you when/ if you decide to tell your class.
"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work"- Thomas Edison ( dyspraxic entrepreneur)
Do not judge by appearances, but judge with right judgment.”
Paddington
Mega Poster

Postby Billy1995fifa » Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:43 pm

wadey wrote:If i applying for a job I will say i'm dyspraxic on the form. as with friends i wont tell them until i feel that i can trust them

I be the same, i won't tell my friends that i have dyspraxia till i feel i can trust them enough.
Billy1995fifa
Power Poster

Postby Pokemoneiei » Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:40 am

good person to help/stand up for you
จีคลับ
Pokemoneiei
Advanced Member

Return to General Dyspraxia Chat