Telling your peers

Chat with others about dyspraxia and share your experiences.

Telling your peers

Postby Justsomeone761 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:28 pm

I feel like such an handicapable klutz today. This is mostly due to my new PE-teacher and new peers this year, even if they mean well. I told the teacher that I have dyspraxia and what that means. Previously the teachers always made me participate and said that I should tell them if I couldn't, but this one is all understanding about it, and just has me sit at the sideline keeping scores. And really, I'm not complaining about this. I hate PE and always dread it days before, but everybody is making a very big deal out of it. And it is, a big deal, but I'm more the suffer-in-silence type and it feels like there's a big neon-sign above my head that says: This girl has something!!! And when my classmates then ask me what is up, and I explain, they are very understanding and nice about it. And then they walk back to their friends, feeling good about themselves for being understanding to me, and then yell some jokes about another kid at the other end of the field that is slow, or runs a bit awkwardly, and I know they didn't mean a thing, even if they meant good. and it just makes me feel misunderstood and Very, Very handicapable.
So one of my classmates asked the teacher why I didn't have to run, and she send me something like this:

Hello Jolijn,
I liked it that one of your peers showed real interest in you today. You should consider telling your peers why you can't participate in some of the sports. I think it would be a good teaching moment for them: a good health shouldn't be taken for granted!
sincerely,

So, for starters, I'm not sick! And neither are you guys. Dyspraxia isn't a disease, and I'm frankly healthy, so.. yeah... back with misunderstood. But, should I tell them? Would they even want to hear this kind of information? Would it help? Or would it just enlargen the-outcast-effect? What would you do?
Weeds are flowers too, once you get to know them. - Eeyore
Justsomeone761
Advanced Member

Re: Telling your peers

Postby Steph » Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:00 pm

I think you should tell someone the next time they ask you why you are keeping the scores. They may not understand it fully (to be honest, I think it's hard for anyone to understand dyspraxia to the extent that we do unless they have it themselves) but any understanding is better than none at all and, the more we educate people about what dyspraxia means, the more understanding we will promote.
Steph
Forum God !

Postby Paddington » Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:49 pm

The more you can relate it to them the more they seem to understand it. Like when asking why you always take the scores say because every time I try to run it feels like my legs have been tied together or something like that. I hate those "understanding" people there was a girl who was "understanding" with me when I seemed to be near the bottom as soon as I got a rely good English result it was " unfair I got to use a laptop" and " I only got that result because I was allowed to type" so when she complained that it was unfair I got to use a laptop I told her I found it unfair that her hand was not in pain every time she wrote. the complaining went down to a minimum after that.
"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work"- Thomas Edison ( dyspraxic entrepreneur)
Do not judge by appearances, but judge with right judgment.”
Paddington
Mega Poster

Postby Pokemoneiei » Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:07 am

Thanks for the info
ทางเข้า gclub
Pokemoneiei
Advanced Member

Return to General Dyspraxia Chat