Drawing for a College B-Tec

Share any tips or ideas that you have which make living with dyspraxia easier.(Please start a new thread for each tip)

Drawing for a College B-Tec

Postby boopidoop » Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:13 pm

Ello! First post in about a year, I feel bad now :(

So, since my last post on here, I have left school part way through AS-Levels, to pursue my lifelong dream of being a Games Designer (Specifically, 3D modelling work, ie Characters, buildings, objects etc)

Trouble is, as a course requirement, we need to know how to draw. Most of you will see the issue already.

Now, drawing is a funny one for me. I can draw, to an extent, because of my ADD-riddled mind being overly creative, but the Dyspraxia severely limits my ability to do it. In order to draw a simple line, or paint within the border, I have to put all of my concentration into that arm. Sadly, by doing this, I get very tired very quickly, and so I can only draw for a few minutes at a time.

The other issue is that a lot of my better pieces are done by me purposely inducing a spasm in my arm, to create a more randomised effect. This can get incredibly painful if I do it too much, so again, time is an issue.

Recently, it's been getting worse. I'm finding that holding a paintbrush (let alone any other utensil) and being precise with it is causing spasms all over the place, which is obviously fairly embarrassing in a class full of video game geeks.

Not long ago, I suggested to my art teacher that I draw everything with a computer. This is because I find it easier to use, due to the more logical fashion it is displayed in, and how a few keystrokes can help me in difficult sections, such as straight lines, colouring in, etc.

Sadly, my course apparently "requires" paper drawings. This is seriously annoying me, for many reasons.

1: The drawing segment is purely to build up a portfolio for Uni, which apparently only needs some form of art, not specifically on paper.
2: The course leader isn't listening to my Games Engines tutor, who is an expert on Games Design B-Tecs, who says paper drawings aren't entirely required, only the ability to do quick sketches (which I find very easy)
3: The college legally has to find ways for persons with any disorder to continue on the course, or recommend another course that is either similar, or in a different college. They don't seem to be doing that.
4: My drawing teacher seems to think that my drawing ability, no matter how difficult, is proof that I can draw, and is going all motivational-speech-stereotypical-art-teacher mode ("You can do it, I know you can! You just have to believe! Get on the back of my lollipop unicorn, and we'll go to the land of gumdrops and roses! Weeeeeeeee!" *blegh*)
5: No matter how much I attempt to explain what Dyspraxia (and others) does to me, none of them truly get it. Probably because I have the conversational skills of a duck with a lisp, but that's another matter.

Has anyone been in a similar situation? Any advice, resources, or even Games Design teachers would be greatly appreciated!
boopidoop

Re: Drawing for a College B-Tec

Postby Steph » Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:12 am

I haven't been in that situation before but I just wanted to say I hope it all gets sorted out soon as it does seem very unfair and biased against you.
Steph
Forum God !

Return to Dyspraxia Coping Tips