University

Chat with others about dyspraxia and share your experiences.

University

Postby megscullen97 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:49 pm

I'm terrified of going to uni.
I've been offered a place at bImm manchester for songwriting and One at LIPA for Music, Theatre and Entertainment management in Liverpool.
For liverpool I would have to live away from home and I'm scared I might not be able to cope: I've never had a job before and I know I may have to get one. Mums assured me that which ever one I go for they will try to make it so I won't have to get a job...
Then there is the worry of not getting the grade, i panic in exams and my mind goes blank.
I just can't do it
Also there is the issue of accommodation will I like it? What about the people? Will they get my messiness? Or why I'm different?
*i'm sorry for my non structured rant, I just felt I needed to tell someone who would possibly understand.
MEGAN CULLEN
never judge a book by its cover...
megscullen97

Re: University

Postby Steph » Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:10 am

Hi Megan. I can understand how you feel as I was in the same situation myself ten years ago (that makes me feel so old!).University can be scary and daunting but it also gives you so many new experiences. Are you applying for Disabled Students Allowance? This involves an assessment which will highlight the areas in which you need support in order to achieve-this may be through the use of a laptop or being able to record lectures if your shirt term memory is impaired but also offers support with daily living if this is what''s needed. It is definitely worth applying for during the summer so the support is in place from the day you start university.

Panicking about exams is natural but I am sure you will get a place at one of your chosen universities. There is always the clearing system if you don't achieve the grades needed but I am sure you will. I know it's easier said than done but try not to get yourself too stressed out about it all as this will affect your performance. I always used to think I was going to fail all my exams but I always came out with the grades I needed so I have every faith you can do it too.

As for the accommodation issue, I am confident you will get on fine in your accommodation but, if you don't, most universities let you put your name down on an accommodation transfer list so that, if someone drops out of uni in the first few weeks and you would be better suited in their accommodation, you can transfer out but this may take a while. I worried a lot about what the other students would think of me but people at university are generally a lot more tolerant and accepting of eccentricities and quirks. I made friends at university that I still count as among my closest friends now, ten years later.

I have faith it will all work out for you but please try not to panic too much about it. University gave me the best 3 years of my life and I am sure it will be the same for you.

Good luck and I hope this helps a bit.
Steph
Forum God !

Postby megscullen97 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:03 pm

Thank you so much! Knowing someone understands has eased me a little. But honestly I'm still scared about but I suppose that won't go away until I actually get there.
MEGAN CULLEN
never judge a book by its cover...
megscullen97

Postby Paddington » Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:01 pm

everyone's nervous about the next big step in their life's. you should have seen my brother when he was just about to go to uni. the idea of his ever getting a job or talking to people was laughable. now he is confident friendly and has just got an internship at Intel. again with accommodation its really easy to fit in. unis try their hardest to make sure you want to stay there and there will always be someone willing to help.
"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work"- Thomas Edison ( dyspraxic entrepreneur)
Do not judge by appearances, but judge with right judgment.”
Paddington
Mega Poster

Postby lalacurf121 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:47 am

that won't go away until I actually get there.
คาสิโน 1688
lalacurf121
Super Poster

Return to General Dyspraxia Chat