My Indecisive Speech Problem.

Chat with others about dyspraxia and share your experiences.

My Indecisive Speech Problem.

Postby Duckiegirl123 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:27 pm

Basically I noticed that I had a speech problem a few years ago, I suppose it's always been there but I didn't speak as much at my last school as I do now. I was really shy so I never put my hand up or read in class let alone got up on a stage or in front of a camera like I do now. I'm loving having lots more confidence but it means my speech problem is becoming well an actual problem because I want to talk now, I want to be involved in my lessons and have a voice but sometimes I can't. I've worked out that it comes in three levels of severity:

1: I can speak almost normally with the odd stutter but if I make sure to take a deep breath before I speak I'm okay.

2: If I don't repeat what I want to say in my head at least three or four times I physically can't get them out of my mouth and even when I do I usually stutter.

3: I can barely string a sentence together, I can say some words but not others and I stutter loads. Days like this frustrate me because I can't just get on with my day I have to be constantly thinking about when I'm going to have to speak next I can't just do the things I want to because I can't talk.

Luckily I get one and two in about equal measures and three a bit less. Is this part of dyspraxia? is there a reason my ability changes from day to day? If anyone knows I'd be very grateful.
Duckiegirl123

Re: My Indecisive Speech Problem.

Postby Steph » Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:59 am

Speech problems can be a part of dyspraxia in some people. I am guessing the day to day fluctuations are probably due to stress or anxiety, both of which can make stutters more severe and both of which can render someone completely non verbal if they are extreme enough. It sounds like you are coping well as, at least you do speak now, rather than shying away because of your speech problems. Have you ever had Speech Therapy?
Steph
Forum God !

Postby Duckiegirl123 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:24 pm

Thank you so much for reassuring me. I've never had anything for speech. I've been doing my own fine motor therapy for a year now (going through school takes a while and I don't have long left there) maybe I could teach myself to do what a speech therapist would until I go to my local college which has much better disability support.
Duckiegirl123

Postby Steph » Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:43 pm

No worries. I hope you manage to get some proper speech therapy soon.
Steph
Forum God !

Postby lalacurf121 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:53 am

Thanks for the info
holiday palace cambodia
lalacurf121
Super Poster

Return to General Dyspraxia Chat