Careers

Stuck with your schoolwork? Post any questions or queries here and we'll all try to help.

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Fri Oct 28, 2005 3:19 pm

Time goes so fast. You need to give UCAS careful consideration, Miranda. Good luck with it.
carebear, I hope you continue to have success working in special schools.
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Postby Miranda » Fri Oct 28, 2005 4:23 pm

UCAS???

It probably does come round soon but even the idea...!!!

Im just not ready to think about colleges...

Carebear, im so glad for you
"I may not agree with your opinion, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."
Miranda
Mega Poster

Postby madame_tigre » Sat Oct 29, 2005 8:46 am

I'm pleased to hear this Carebear! :D

I have been volunteering at a special needs youth club once a week since February and I've been asked if I'd like to volunteer at another club as well. It's supposed to be for people with severe disabilities and the age group is more varied. The youngest is about 13 and I've been told the oldest people are in their 40's. I get to try it out next week to see if I like it. I feel complimented that i was asked, I must be doing at least something right!:D
madame_tigre
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Sat Oct 29, 2005 8:24 pm

Well done.
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Postby parnassus » Sat Nov 12, 2005 11:01 pm

I've just come back from Consider Your Call, a discernment group for Catholic students in Cambridge who are trying to find their way in the world. The theme for tonight was 'Adoration'. It was a wonderful night. I will post more about it on my Xanga tomorrow. The compass needle really seems to be swinging in a direction that both frightens and fascinates...I need courage! No such thing as a cowardly nun.
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Mon Nov 14, 2005 10:56 am

You have plenty of courage already, Vicky. We all know that. But I will say some prayers for you. I am going on retreat tomorrow, so I will have plenty of chances to do so.
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Postby pinkparrot » Mon Nov 14, 2005 1:19 pm

Yep, 1337 does have a point there.
pinkparrot
As Mad As A Box Of Frogs !

Postby Danni » Sat Nov 26, 2005 8:19 pm

IT technician, perhaps in a school or a small business. My organisation skills are pretty bad, but I seem to just be able to fix computers!
Danni
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Rosel » Tue Nov 29, 2005 2:29 pm

Strangly enough although i can't organise my self to work i can organise other people and holidays and trips. :roll:
Maybe it's because it involves research with practical results rather than writng essays!! i like researching things.
I'd like to run an English cafe/tea room in Germany, and organise holidays to England for Germans.
Rosel
Advanced Member

Postby Black_Haired_Angel » Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:38 pm

i have so many dream and ambitoions. prob a relaistic one for me is tosutdy youth work and theology and to later become an RE teacher. i loved RE depite haiving two very unethustiastic teachers and there is only two thigns stopgn me teachin and i dotn want them to stop me

1) diffictlies with launage and stuff! i fisn it hard 2 write on balck/white baords!

and

2) i'v been broguth up with a very strogn sterotype of teachers and i feel i cant amoutn to that! sterotype beign teacher HAVE to be right and i no i came been right all the time. im a sinner im not perfic.

yeah alos lots with youth work and this is a crazy oen btu i wud love to have a showp with coloured lined paper (yellow is the only coluour with lines paper!) and boks published and printed on colorus sleve (in particular bibles!!!)
Black_Haired_Angel
Super Poster

Postby parnassus » Sun Dec 11, 2005 10:02 am

1) diffictlies with launage and stuff! i fisn it hard 2 write on balck/white baords!

You can get round that by always using overhead projectors and photocopied handouts. It will just mean that you have to spend longer preparing your lessons at night (and that you will have to find a large supply of recycled paper for the handouts!). Some of the best teachers I've ever had - such as one RE teacher, oddly enough - hardly ever touched the whiteboard. Religious Education is the sort of subject that you can teach through discussion, reading, and project work. You don't really need a blackboard. If you do think one would come in handy, buy one of the little ones that stands on an easel, because they are on a slant. It is much easier to write on a sloping surface.

2) i'v been broguth up with a very strogn sterotype of teachers and i feel i cant amoutn to that! sterotype beign teacher HAVE to be right and i no i came been right all the time. im a sinner im not perfic.

Like all stereotypes, that's grossly inaccurate. Don't worry. :) A teacher's role is to encourage people to think, not to tell them what to think - especially in a subject such as RE. Providing you know the names of the philosophers and can distinguish your Buddhists from your Jains, you should be fine. It would be a different thing if you were trying to teach maths - there you really do have to be right constantly!
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby pinkparrot » Sun Dec 11, 2005 10:13 am

That is one of the reasons why I am not considering a career in maths. When I use a compass, I end up with a nebula in my maths book. I am good at some areas of maths, such as algebra.

I'm looking more towards a career involving English, law and as many languages as I can learn.

I thought about Science, considering my love of Biology but Chemistry is half and half and Physics is from a different planet. Geography I find is good in places (particularly the equatorial forests) but I find can be boring in other parts. Technology is out of the question because I can't sew, I snap plastic and I don't cook. I.C.T could work, as I can spring into action when the computer crashes.

I don't really know what I'm doing to be perfectly honest. I used to hate French in year 6 due to a horrible teacher I had and those awful games where the teacher says a body part in French and you have to quickly put your hand on it. Emphasis on the quickly.
pinkparrot

Postby parnassus » Sun Dec 11, 2005 10:19 am

I used to hate French in year 6 due to a horrible teacher I had and those awful games where the teacher says a body part in French and you have to quickly put your hand on it. Emphasis on the quickly.

No one asks you to do that at A-Level. :)

It is looking more and more likely that I will become a nun. I have found a group of religious sisters that looks perfect - the Corpus Christi Carmelites. Most Carmelite nuns devote their whole lives to contemplative prayer, but the Corpus Christi Carmelites have a mission outside their convent walls - they work in education, psychology, counselling, medicine, youth work and care for the elderly. I think there is a home for me there.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby pinkparrot » Sun Dec 11, 2005 10:24 am

This kind of idea is completely new to me. I do enjoy R.E (mostly because I like to argue about things and find beliefs fascinating.)

I have never really looked at careers there. I plan to somehow stumble around the world when I grow up and religion in other countries could be difficult. I do not want to break severe religious rules in another country, especially in one that is in favour of capital punishment. I can see my life being more exciting than I want it to be. :lol:
pinkparrot

Postby parnassus » Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:28 pm

When people learn that I live in Saudi Arabia (a strict Muslim state that permits capital punishment) they often gasp, "How do you stay alive?" With the possible exception of Taliban-run Afghanistan, where the government introduced petty and stupid rules in the name of Islam (people were forbidden to wear white shoes because that was the chosen colour of the Taliban's flag) the rules are perfectly simple. To get killed for a breach of Islam where I am sitting, you would have to either murder someone or commit adultery - with at least four witnesses to the adultery. So I don't think there's any likelihood of your dying for a religious infraction, pinkparrot.
parnassus
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Study Support