Careers

Stuck with your schoolwork? Post any questions or queries here and we'll all try to help.

Postby pinkparrot » Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:36 pm

What do you expect from an inexperienced 14-year old who has only stepped out of her country once in her entire lifetime? Knowledge? :wink:

I see. I have no idea as far as countries are concerned. I don't know which could be considered dangerous and which are not. Studying law could act as a bit of a safety net. I have absolutely no idea where Saudi Arabia is. All I know as far as maps are concerned is where England is, and that France and Germany are fairly near to it across some area of water. And that Italy is the boot one. That's it. So you see I might have a bit of trouble travelling the world. Perhaps I should be more realistic and become a teacher.
pinkparrot
As Mad As A Box Of Frogs !

Postby parnassus » Sun Dec 11, 2005 1:53 pm

In that case you need to travel as much as possible so you can learn about the earth you live on. Hanging up your travelling shoes because you don't know the map of Europe is a bit like me saying, "I don't know anything about Tennyson's poetry so I won't attend another Tennyson lecture."

Dyspraxia does not impede your ability to learn about other countries, cultures, and customs. It does not stop you from picking up a newspaper each morning or tuning into the BBC to hear what's going on in the world. You are an intelligent person, pinkparrot, which is why it is doubly shameful for you to be so ignorant. Sometimes I get the impression, from the tone of your language, that you're proud of not knowing about the riots in France or being unable to pinpoint Portugal on a map. Why don't you do something about it?

I am not particularly well travelled. Excluding Britain and Saudi Arabia, I've scarcely been anywhere. My knowledge of the globe comes from an obsession with a world map and a beautiful children's atlas that I had when I was younger (at one point I could list all the capital cities in the world) and the fact that I keep up with the news. I'm not suggesting that you should also be able to snap back, "Freetown!" when someone asks you the capital city of Sierra Leone. :wink: But I am suggesting that you buy a map and start paying attention to the news.
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby pinkparrot » Sun Dec 11, 2005 1:56 pm

Maybe you're right. :oops: :(
--------------------------------------------

Sorry about that. I don't really take criticism well, even if it is constructive. I cannot tell what form of criticism that was.

After logging out and thinking a bit, I see what you mean. News is standard to people as a whole because that's what it's for. I did actually watch the news a few days ago and found it quite interesting. Though I haven't watched it since-I don't know why. Being a class clown takes its toll- being ridiculous becomes your job, it was how I survived. Though I know that's no excuse. As for reading newspapers, I have never really done that. I remember reading some article to do with Harry Potter but that's about it.

I know dyspraxia is no excuse to not know about what goes on in the world, or to lay back and look stupid. I'll go back to working with it to achieve my goals rather than giving up in the face of it.

Now I am going to a new school I have a chance to reinvent myself and to drop the old ways. Reading your post I thought it might be an idea to get my act together. So I'll do my best to take the advice you've given. I'll give the news a go. :)
pinkparrot

Postby eDan » Sun Dec 11, 2005 4:42 pm

As someone who's planning to see a good deal of the world next year, I find that dyspraxia limits me in odd ways. I have no quarms with travelling by myself to some distant land, but I can feel thoroughly anxious and insecure walking down a street in London.
There will be some things I won't be doing that the average backpacker might, such as climbing mountains, long hikes and general outdoor sporting activities, but I'll certainly be doing what I can to absorb and understand the cultures I encounter. My point being that dyspraxia shouldn't be a limitation to travel.

I've always been fascinated by the wider world, and as with Vicky could reel off the capital city of any country you liked when I was younger. I agree that you shouldn't be worried about offending local cultures and find yourself on death row. Most countries are quite used to odd tourists wandering around with little sense of local sensibilities, and this is tolerated and understood. If you want to understand the religions, cultures and countries across the seas, then without doubt the best advice is to get yourself there and see them first hand.
eDan
Splendiferous Member

Postby david456 » Sun Dec 11, 2005 9:13 pm

Central London is nothing to worry about, the place is really small. I spent five weeks there this year.

I think I would struggle though on my own in a country that I haven't visited before, because although learning things about it, from books and the internet can be helpful, it's not the same as being there.
david456
Mega Poster

Postby pinkparrot » Sun Dec 11, 2005 9:20 pm

Yes, going into unknown territory can be a problem. Especially where roads are involved. I heard something about roads going the opposite way in some countries. I haven't mastered crossing the road where I am yet!
pinkparrot

Postby parnassus » Sun Dec 11, 2005 10:00 pm

pinkparrot, my intention was not to hurt you. * hugs * That was definitely constructive criticsm, because instead of saying, "You're wrong," I did point out how you could acquire better habits.

You don't 'look stupid' - that's the whole point. If you were too stupid to understand current affairs or to learn basic geography, no one would mind providing you did your best. Your best is all anyone can ever ask for. The quality of your language tells me that you must be an intelligent person, which means you can't allow yourself to be ignorant. It's an insult to your own mind.

A lot of dyspraxic people put on the 'class clown' act. I found myself being forced into that role during primary school, but I escaped from it (I loathed it) by becoming very withdrawn in secondary school and speaking to nobody. That was not a good thing to do. I trust that with our support and your own self-belief you can do better. Just remember that you are not the only one, although sometimes you don't quite seem to believe it yet. The vast majority of the people on these fora share your experiences, so there is no need to put on an act here - this is a place where you can be yourself. And that should be a good thing.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby towildhoney » Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:26 pm

I've been considering doing a PGCE in Religon and a catholic teaching certificate once I graduate but I'm unsure. I not sure if I'd make the best of teachers I learn in a diffrent way from most people and I'm not always patient. I went and observed and RE class in my old school though and it was so much fun they were working on arch bishop Romero and it realy gave me a sense of how valuable the work could be. The children were so fun and enthusiastic but it also is a great responsibility to educate a child and I couldn't do it unless I'd be good.

My Cath Soc in uni had a talk on vocations the other week Parnassus mainly priestly ones but good luck I hope you are reaveled the right path.
towildhoney
Forum Master

Postby parnassus » Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:39 pm

Whereabouts are you studying, Wild Honey?
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby towildhoney » Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:41 pm

UCL University College London not everyone gets the abreviation
towildhoney
Forum Master

Postby angel.kisses » Wed Jan 25, 2006 3:09 pm

I am going to be a primary school teacher :D

In September I am going to start my PGCE course and cannot wait :D

I was worried they wouldn't accept me, but they actually said it would be good as I have a different way of looking at things, so if a child didn't understand one way of learning something, I would probably know another way to teach them! I don't have major problems with spelling or anything, so they were fine about it. My dyspraxia is more about the emotional side of things (and also the fact I trip over thin air!)

I'm also determined that no child with any form of learning difficulty will be overlooked the way I was (I think they felt as long as I could read, I was OK - there were a lot of children in my class who left Year 6 not reading well, so I suppose I wasn't a problem!) - I'm going to make sure all the children get the help they need :)

It will be the first time I have lived away from home though, and of all the things I'm worried about it's silly things like how to work washing machines in the launderette that frighten me the most :? I'm no good with machines and things like that - I have a tendency to break them! So if you hear of any launderettes blowing up, you'll know it was me!

Good luck to everyone on here in their chosen careers :wink:
angel.kisses

Postby fuzzy » Wed Jan 25, 2006 5:41 pm

Good for you angel kisses; it looks like you have it all planned out! :D

Im thinking of becoming an academic- despite my slating of them in the past to certain indivuals (you know who you are :wink: ), Id quite like to study cultural history extensivley and possibley even write books on areas that Im interested in!
fuzzy
Splendiferous Member

Postby carrie » Wed Jan 25, 2006 6:22 pm

history at university hopeully then working in a hands on museum with some youth work in a church along side it
smile it could be worse

carrie

MY blog all about me and muy interests a bit like an online diary

http://runrigangelic.blogspot.com
carrie
Forum Master

Postby madame_tigre » Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:16 pm

Good luck to angel.kisses, fuzzy and carrie. You all sound very ambitious!

I'd like to continue doing admin work but not have that as a full time job as that can get too mundane. I'd also like to do some work with children and young people but wouldn't want to work full time with them either as that can get too hectic. Basically, I would like to blend in admin with caring for children and youths.

I also fancy working in a library. I can do a bit of admin work there but I could also help organise clubs and events and try to encourage children to read with joy. Bookworms are far from boring!
madame_tigre
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:58 pm

Have you considered working as a school secretary, or doing admin for a charity?
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

PreviousNext

Return to Study Support