5 or s

Stuck with your schoolwork? Post any questions or queries here and we'll all try to help.

5 or s

Postby Joss1991 » Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:17 pm

i have big trouble drawering them i fact i always have but it hasnt been a problem to recently when i do alegbra with 5 and s in the same sum my teacher cant tell the diffrents. I can read them fine but just not write them.
anyone have any similar problems
Joss1991
Splendiferous Member

Postby parnassus » Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:53 pm

This is a co-ordination difficulty. I suggest you get two of the special rulers available from the Early Learning Centre, a number strip and a letter strip. The number strip has numbers carved out of the plastic and the letter strip has letters. You hold the strip over the page and pencil in the 5's and the S's with the help of the cut-out shapes.
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby tears_on_a_pillow » Fri Dec 09, 2005 5:11 pm

I do that too! Although I handwrote a letter to my parents a few years ago and mydad said my handwriting is more like a criptic code!
tears_on_a_pillow
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Darlen » Fri Dec 09, 2005 5:29 pm

One thing you could try, if your Math teacher is in agreement is when you are writing algebra and you write an S, write it and put a line diagonally through it, like $. That way it'll look different and your teacher will be able to mark it correctly.

Most computer oriented people write their zeros with a slash through anyway!!

Cheers
Darren
Darlen
Power Poster

Postby parnassus » Fri Dec 09, 2005 5:32 pm

Most computer oriented people write their zeros with a slash through anyway!!

That must be very confusing to passing Norwegians.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby chocolatefudgecake » Fri Dec 09, 2005 6:23 pm

darlen wrote:One thing you could try, if your Math teacher is in agreement is when you are writing algebra and you write an S, write it and put a line diagonally through it, like $. That way it'll look different and your teacher will be able to mark it correctly.

But someone might mistake it for Dollers (especially if someone from somewhere like America reads it)

parnassus wrote: That must be very confusing to passing Norwegians.

Why's that?
-ChocFC-
A badger! a badger! My Kingdom for a Badger!
chocolatefudgecake
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby parnassus » Fri Dec 09, 2005 6:39 pm

The slashed 'O' is a letter in the Norwegian and Swedish alphabets.

I actually think Darren's idea is a good one, especially as it is unlikely that someone in a British school will have to work in dollars (unless you're doing currency conversion). The only problem would come at exam time - you couldn't expect the examiner to understand what you were doing.

Ah! I have it! You could write a cursive 's'! That looks like a little fishing line curling from a rod and is quite distinct from '5'. Ask your teacher to show a cursive 's' to you, Joss.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby Darlen » Fri Dec 09, 2005 6:54 pm

I did not mean a dollar sign, which has a straight line through an 'S', which is why I suggested using a diagonal line. I used the italic $, as an example, as this is the closest thing to what I meant, available on the keyboard.

The image below shows a cursive 's', which looks similar to the idea I was giving. Hope it works out and that you find a way around the problem. :)

Darlen
Power Poster

Postby david456 » Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:18 am

I keep the top of the five straight 5 *it's a straight line see), then is curls, with the s I curl it straight away at the top, so they become distinctive
david456
Mega Poster

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Mon Dec 12, 2005 3:31 pm

I think you should try to learn cursive writing. I learned cursive handwriting and it was helpful to me.
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Re: 5 or s

Postby Sarah » Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:39 pm

Joss1991 wrote:i have big trouble drawering them i fact i always have but it hasnt been a problem to recently when i do alegbra with 5 and s in the same sum my teacher cant tell the diffrents. I can read them fine but just not write them.
anyone have any similar problems

In algebra it doesn't actually matter what letter or symbol you use, providing you are consistant throughout. If s is used in the question you could put s = p or any letter or symbol you like so it's clear what you are doing, just make sure it's clear that it is an s there! (If necessary do an arrow from the question and just put = p or whatever letter/symbol you want to use). The letters in algebra do not mean anything, they just indicate a particular unkown.
Sarah

Postby pinkparrot » Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:56 pm

As long as you know which unknowns are which, you're fine.
pinkparrot
As Mad As A Box Of Frogs !

Postby Joss1991 » Mon May 22, 2006 7:33 pm

that could get confusing if i have +2 diffrent letters in the sum like

2x+3p-6s
Joss1991
Splendiferous Member

Return to Study Support