Use of a laptop?

Stuck with your schoolwork? Post any questions or queries here and we'll all try to help.

Use of a laptop?

Postby mrbojangles371 » Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:05 am

Hey... in new to this site... I am 17 and i am a senior in highschool, and ever since 2nd grade i used a laptop in school. I was wondering if anyone out there does this aswell?
mrbojangles371

Postby Joss1991 » Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:08 am

i go to a learning difficulties senior school where they give you a laptop so yeh i use a laptop all the time
Joss1991
Splendiferous Member

Postby fuzzy » Tue Jan 03, 2006 1:27 pm

I use a laptop when typing up my essays for university, but didnt use one at school, although I probably would have benifited!!!
fuzzy
Splendiferous Member

Postby parnassus » Tue Jan 03, 2006 1:39 pm

I used my laptop in class from my diagnosis onwards. The teachers weren't very accommodating, though. I was supposed to be seated near a plug socket and only one teacher actually made sure that no one else took my seat.
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby Danni » Tue Jan 03, 2006 3:12 pm

I don't own a laptop, nor do I need one- doing a computer course at college means I'm always seated in front of a computer anyway, and everyone in the class knows not to touch my seat :P (I've made a few changes to the layout of stuff on the computer I use the most to make things a bit easier for me).

At school if I'd been allowed to use a laptop I'm sure I would have found things a lot easier, and most likely would have gotten the As and A*s I was predicted, rather than the Bs and Cs I did get. I was going to fail my violin performance exam for my music GCSE anyway, though :P
Purple penguin resistance member
Danni
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby mrbojangles371 » Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:49 pm

see.. the thing with a laptop is its gr8, but i also hate it. You see, i used to go to this really small school, and i got soo much sh*t from people for it, then in my junior year i transfered to a performing arts school, and no one cared
mrbojangles371

Postby kitty_cute » Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:58 pm

Im getting a laptop, my parents have to go to the school first though, next wednesday to discuss my dyspraxia. Wait next Wednesday?! AHHHH!
Japan ! ^_^ <super kawaii>

No PM'S please unless it's urgent =]
kitty_cute
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby mrbojangles371 » Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:00 pm

hey.. just so you know, atleast in the US... if you need a laptop.. the school has to provide it for you and all the teachers have to let you use it
mrbojangles371

Postby Rosel » Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:18 pm

i used a laptop from AS level onwards, i had to see an Ed Psych, and i also got 25% extra time.
Rosel
Advanced Member

Postby david456 » Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:53 pm

Although the laptop is a great invention, it does take over the importance of handwriitng, spelling and punctuation. So when a computer isn't always available it does make life more difficult, as mistakes aren't highlighted, as they are on a document on a PC or Mac.

A laptop is great if it helps you in any way and is always worth using, but it is also useful to be able to cope without it. Still nearly every single job in Britain uses some sort of computer somewhere along the line, so whatever you do, you're very likely to use one throughout your adult life.
david456
Mega Poster

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:56 am

My dyspraxia isn't severe enough for me to need to use a laptop. I am very grateful that I am able to write with a pen - like David said, things can get very difficult if your computer breaks down. I much prefer to use a computer, though. I may get a laptop for my 18th birthday.
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Postby parnassus » Wed Jan 04, 2006 3:24 pm

Mrbojangles, for some extraordinary reason people often feel the need to attack what they don't understand. People used to make snide remarks about my computer 'privilege' ("She's supposed to be clever - how come she gets that?") but I knew I needed it, so I learnt not to care. This was one of the advantages of my late diagnosis - if I had been given the laptop earlier on in my life I would have probably found the slurs too difficult to cope with.
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby carrie » Wed Jan 04, 2006 5:37 pm

got one for high school but wont take it to school ... I wouldnt cope ... as my typing speed is poor but use it at home for essays
smile it could be worse

carrie

MY blog all about me and muy interests a bit like an online diary

http://runrigangelic.blogspot.com
carrie
Forum Master

Postby kitty_cute » Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:14 pm

I dont have handwriting problems, but my spellings not great (I think?!), and also my hand starts to really hurt really quickly and easily >< I still manage to write my diary though! ^_^
Japan ! ^_^ <super kawaii>

No PM'S please unless it's urgent =]
kitty_cute
The Cat's Pajamas !!

laptops

Postby Andy » Tue Feb 21, 2006 7:23 pm

Hi I have been given a small Palm top computer and this really neat keyboard which folds up and attaches to it cos carrying a lap top around along with a heavy schoolbag also my coordination probs just didnt work. Also I have brittle bones and shouldnt be carrying heavy things. I reccomend the Palm top I love it to bits its just like a real computer. :D :D :D :wink:
Andy
Splendiferous Member

Next

Return to Study Support