harry potter

Feel free to debate any issues you wish here. Warning: The topics discussed and their content may on occassion offend some.

Postby towildhoney » Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:46 pm

I think the books are much better than the films but I realy liked this film I also think its much better films than the others if you had not read the books. My worry is they left so much out of the film how there going to make sense of the subsequent films in book 4 they set up the orde of the phoenix so there going to have a lot of work to do in the next film. Also I think the whole theme of goverment ineptness thats in the books has been left out. The whole charecter of Barty Crouch and how he becomes as bad as the death eaters in trying to fight them? wonder if this was due to the US market?

if you like potter you should check out mugglenet and potter cast.
towildhoney
Forum Master

Postby Black_Haired_Angel » Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:54 pm

i havnt see harry potter and im in a toss up between ewither 2 see nanrnia: lion withc and the wardrob or harry potter!!
You toke the fall and thoguth of me above all
Black_Haired_Angel
Super Poster

Postby kitty_cute » Wed Jan 04, 2006 1:28 pm

I think it was the best one yet, although they did miss out some crucial bits... I didnt like the third one, it was rushed and it really wasnt clear for people who hadnt read the book. You could say that about the forth one though.
Japan ! ^_^ <super kawaii>

No PM'S please unless it's urgent =]
kitty_cute
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby fuzzy » Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:38 pm

The books will always be better than the films in my opinion. Having said that, Iv found the last two HP films to be extremely good and entertaining. Medrich11, i have to disagree with you- Alfonso Cauron was a much, MUCH better director than Chris Columbus.... that man had the directing talent of a pancake; he was unoriginal and made the film far too sugary sweet. Cuaron brought his own edge to the film and portrayed the story jsut how it should be- in a much darker climate. I do, however, I agree with you that Cauron/ Rowling's choice od Gambon for Dumbledore was wrong- but to be fair, they didnt exactly know that Richard Harris was going to die, and needed a new Dumbledore and fast. Gambon was the quickest and probably the best option that they had.
fuzzy
Splendiferous Member

Postby kitty_cute » Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:41 pm

Yep, yep, good point Fuzzy, and yes, the books are better than the films anyway

kitty_cute
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby guest » Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:47 pm

I think the later films are better but to be fair to Columbus he had to set up the story and so his films in a way had to be much more basic and explanatory

Postby fuzzy » Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:56 am

hhmmmm.......... true, it was Chris Columbus's job to set up the films the way the books were, and yes, I guess he made a decent job- I eman, he did the impossible by dirceting AND producing two films one after the other; thats a HELL of a lot of work and something which most directors would never do. Yet the casting, the scripts, the bloody sets were all proorly executed........ Firstly, the casting was rubbish. The kids that they hired should have been 9, not 11- that way thier voices wouldnt have broken halfway through the first film, and Ron and Harry wouldnt have loked like 14 year old teens when they were supposed to be bearly 12 years old. They also made a mssive mistake with those Weasly twins- in the books, they are portrayed as bulky and muscly- yet in the films they are weedy and sick looking and, in the first two films, have unnatrually high voices........... The scripts- the worst part MUST have been in the end of the second film when they all just stand up and clap for no reason....... that was the s***est, cheesyest, sickly sweet ending ever for a film, albiet a film, lets not forget, thats supposed to be about an evil dark wizard whos out to kill a young boy!!! The Chamber of Secrets also has one of the highest number of mistakes for a film ever made!! (eg things like peices of filming equipement being left in veiw of the camera etc... not to mention a basilisk which looks more like the Loch Ness monster!!)
fuzzy
Splendiferous Member

Postby kitty_cute » Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:50 am

fuzzy
Power Poster

Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:56 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hhmmmm.......... true, it was Chris Columbus's job to set up the films the way the books were, and yes, I guess he made a decent job- I eman, he did the impossible by dirceting AND producing two films one after the other; thats a HELL of a lot of work and something which most directors would never do. Yet the casting, the scripts, the bloody sets were all proorly executed........ Firstly, the casting was rubbish. The kids that they hired should have been 9, not 11- that way thier voices wouldnt have broken halfway through the first film, and Ron and Harry wouldnt have loked like 14 year old teens when they were supposed to be bearly 12 years old. They also made a mssive mistake with those Weasly twins- in the books, they are portrayed as bulky and muscly- yet in the films they are weedy and sick looking and, in the first two films, have unnatrually high voices........... The scripts- the worst part MUST have been in the end of the second film when they all just stand up and clap for no reason....... that was the s***est, cheesyest, sickly sweet ending ever for a film, albiet a film, lets not forget, thats supposed to be about an evil dark wizard whos out to kill a young boy!!! The Chamber of Secrets also has one of the highest number of mistakes for a film ever made!! (eg things like peices of filming equipement being left in veiw of the camera etc... not to mention a basilisk which looks more like the Loch Ness monster!!)

Meow, ooo, harsh words there fuzz. Yeah you may be able to find some on the mistakes guys on http://www.moviemistakes.com I think anyway lmao.

Yeah the Weasley twins were a bit of a joke, they look...they look anorexically ill. And I think the casting was a bit of a miss, because the ageing wasnt really planned to go with the filming story thing.. Okay I can never make sense of myself >< None the less, I do cry EACH time they all stand up and clap. Im not sure because its so cringey of the clapping, or because its really moving. I just cry either way anyway = D I thought the basalisk looked okay actually, apart form the material looked like on of those cheesy rubber halloween mask material. Lol. Well that all just made a whole lot of sense haha.

kitty_cute
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby kitty_cute » Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:56 am

Ooo update! Sorry, lol. On movie mistakes, it says there are... well just look at the figures.. lol. *is too lazy to type numbers, confuses brain*

Okay damn, that makes it more confusing, guess I'll have to type, heh :oops:

Harry Potter and the Philosophers Stone - 198 mistakes
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets - 287 mistakes
Harry Potter and the Prinsoner of Azkaban - 290 mistakes [note how I conviently bolded that, the largest mistakes!
Harry Potter and The Goblet of Fire - 66 mistakes - is this director the best of the three?

Some stuff for you to think of there!

kitty_cute
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby fuzzy » Thu Jan 05, 2006 2:31 pm

WOW what a cool website!!! See I *told* you all that the first two films were terribley made!!!! :P I think that both Cuaron and the foruth director (whos name i forget) are on a par with each other, although the acting in the fourth film is much better than the other three........
fuzzy
Splendiferous Member

Postby kitty_cute » Thu Jan 05, 2006 3:47 pm

True Fuzz but note that the first movie has the least mistakes?

kitty_cute
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby kitty_cute » Thu Jan 05, 2006 3:48 pm

Oh yeah and the last movie made is only 66 probably becaue its new and they havent counted/found all the mistakes yet *nod*

kitty_cute
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby pinkparrot » Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:45 pm

I only find mistakes in films when I have seen them over 10 times. It is one of the things I notice at night when I watch the same film every night for weeks.
pinkparrot
As Mad As A Box Of Frogs !

Postby kitty_cute » Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:47 pm

Hehehe, I just never notice

kitty_cute
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby fuzzy » Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:52 pm

Yes im very non observant!! I was looking through the ones of the first two Harry Potter films (I am subtly choosing to ignore the fact that there are more mistakes in the third film lol) and, being the true geek that i am, I stuck the Philosopher's Stone on and saw some of them for my selves- which has made come to the conclusion of 'OH MY GOD..... CHRIS COLUMBUS IS AN IDIOT!!!'
fuzzy
Splendiferous Member

PreviousNext

Return to Debate Forum