Worried About Work Experience

Stuck with your schoolwork? Post any questions or queries here and we'll all try to help.

Worried About Work Experience

Postby GirlInTheGraniteCity » Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:50 pm

We have to pick three categorys for work experience which we will do in May. One of the things I want to put is Child Care for sure. But I have no idea what to put for anything else :( . My teacher suggested a shop and I suppose that would be OK but we have to say why we would want our choice and I have no idea what to say. I need some dyspraxia friendly jobs but time is running out for me to decide. If anyone has any advice at all I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

{{{[[[~~~~~~~~~~<<<<<<<OOOO♥OOOO>>>>>>>~~~~~~~~~~]]]}}}

Heyy I'm Caroline, add me on MSN if you like =D Peace out xxxxxx

GirlInTheGraniteCity
Forum Master

Postby Black_Haired_Angel » Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:32 pm

tlk to the teacher in charge of it. i went on work expreance later than everyoen and maybe she might let you do work experacen later on in the eyar (mayeb liek after exam and that)

for em coz i did a privet placement and toke forver to fdo the checks i went THREE months after all my class mates but was well worth a longer wait!
You toke the fall and thoguth of me above all
Black_Haired_Angel
Super Poster

Postby GirlInTheGraniteCity » Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:35 pm

I already asked that and she said it isn't possible cos our whole year is doing it at the same time so I wouldn't be able to do anything in school.

GirlInTheGraniteCity
Forum Master

Postby Black_Haired_Angel » Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:47 pm

hmm thats is shocking coz my school did me an aception
Black_Haired_Angel
Super Poster

Postby GirlInTheGraniteCity » Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:53 pm

What did anyone do for work ex.?

GirlInTheGraniteCity
Forum Master

Postby Black_Haired_Angel » Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:05 pm

i worked at teh palce i do vol work in the kitchen

my vol work palce is teen ranch scotland in dundee (well outside dundee)
Black_Haired_Angel
Super Poster

Postby parnassus » Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:45 pm

I did work experience with a speech and language therapist. Put 'medical' - there are dyspraxic-friendly jobs in hospitals, believe it or not.
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby madame_tigre » Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:42 pm

I was at a Special Needs School for my work experience in Year 10. Most of the time I was placed in a mainstream nursery but when it came to lunchtime I would supervise (and play with) the primary children. I loved every minute of it!
madame_tigre
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby david456 » Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:55 pm

Always do a private placment if you can. If there is something you like the idea of, write them a letter or ring them up and explain that you are a school student who is really interested in..... and then say you would really like to work with their company for a couple of weeks to learn what they do.

If you leave it too long, you may have to do something you don't want to do. Work experience is a pain, but it can also help you decide whether a job you thought you wanted to do was how you thought it would be. It may make you change you mind about a career in that field. I know my work experience helped me make a few decisions.

Have a look through companies that have offered placements for pupils at your school and see if any interest you. If not get writing or calling to places you would like to go. It's always good to speak to the manager as they are the ones that make the decisions.
david456
Mega Poster

Postby Danni » Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:57 am

I did my work experience in the Natural History Centre in the Liverpool Museum. I arranged it myself, starting a year before I went :) I spent most weekends in there anyway at the time, so I was as knowledgable as some of the volunteers. It was fun, especially since I knew everyone, and one of my best friends did it with me :)

If you like museums or libraries try asking there- it's pretty dyspraxic friendly.
Purple penguin resistance member
Danni
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby fuzzy » Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:53 am

I would say sunmmat historical, like ghost tour guiding (the most dyspraxia freindsly job ever- you can be as quirky/ extrovert as you want- no limitations!!) but i know that there aint no companies in the Deen, being up here meself. (apaolgies for cockney acent there lol) What sort of stuff do you like? Maybe you could get summat that reflects your personal interests! :D
fuzzy
Splendiferous Member

Work placement

Postby Andy » Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:35 am

I feel the same I am a year behind so am only in third year just now but my work placement is October 2006 I want to work with children so am hoping that I can go to either a school or nursery but they are not on the list all the placements are rubbish(to me anyway)
Andy
Splendiferous Member

Postby david456 » Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:49 pm

I worked in a travel agents, as I thought I may like to be a holiday rep at the time, but what the experience did for me, was help me decide that I didn't want to do it and I had advice from people working in the industry, which is very helpful.
Try and do something you want to do. The best thing you can do is go into your old primary school and speak to an old teacher and say you really want to do a work placement there. They will then be able to tell you if this is possible.
david456
Mega Poster

Postby Andy » Mon Sep 04, 2006 6:58 pm

I have just made my choices for my work placements and I think I have made a big mistake co I have picke two primary schools and a nursery after I had picked the it said that you should be really good at reading well I can read ok but my close reading is really poor. :oops:
Andy
Splendiferous Member

NAS

Postby k9ruby » Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:00 pm

I did mine at the Northampton Socuiety for autism!

Staff were VERY understanding!
k9ruby
Site Admin

Next

Return to Study Support