Tips for Memory and Personal Organisation

Share any tips or ideas that you have which make living with dyspraxia easier.(Please start a new thread for each tip)

Tips for Memory and Personal Organisation

Postby parnassus » Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:22 am

How do you defeat your short-term memory difficulties and get your homework in on time? What is the best way to tidy up a messy bedroom or study? Share your strategies!
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby parnassus » Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:26 pm

1.) Have a whiteboard in your room on which to jot down personal reminders.

2.) If you can afford it, purchase a good quality electronic organiser or Dictaphone. Get used to carrying these in a small pouch hanging from your neck. (Not as unstylish as it sounds - mine is quite cool.)

3.) Carry a notebook in your pocket and ask people to write down what they want you to do.

4.) Eack weekend, make a huge - and I mean huge - colour-coded timetable for the upcoming week. It will take you a couple of hours, but it is worth it.

5.) Tape homework checklists into the back of each subject exercise books. That way you will know what your homework is even if you do lose your school planner.

6.) Ask your teacher to keep a spare set of stationery at school for you. Keep another at home.

7.) If it stands still for long enough, label it. Underwear drawer, shirt drawer, uniform drawer, summer drawer...

8.) Have three small collapsible laundry baskets in your room (darks, whites, and bright colours) so you don't leave your clothing all over the floor.

9.) Pin a list to your wall that tells you where everything belongs. This way you will always know where to put it and where to look for it.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby kitty_cute » Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:36 pm

I recommend post its! - brightly coloured sticky paper, that you stick on walls to remind you of things. Put them in a place you will see them - e.g outside your bathroom door, above the lightswitch, so you notice it.

Pin boards also help - pin up things to remind you.
Japan ! ^_^ <super kawaii>

No PM'S please unless it's urgent =]
kitty_cute
The Cat's Pajamas !!

computer

Postby k9ruby » Tue Feb 21, 2006 4:27 pm

get yourself a laptop at school if you can, along with a BIG memory stick.

get a PDA to put friends numbers on, emails, adressses, important events etc
Last edited by k9ruby on Tue Feb 21, 2006 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
k9ruby
Site Admin

Postby Goldenhamster » Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:01 pm

Personally (I wouldn't recommend this) I get by, by writing all important things on my hands. Unfortunately they have a tendency to get smudged, or else start creeping up my arms making me look positively tatooed. I try to write in my homework diary, but I can never find it when I need it. I tried to carry it around outside my bag but I kept leaving it in classrooms. I am nowhere near organised enough to keep an appointment diary, I just keep losing it and forgetting to use it, or even writing things in on the wrong day.
You don't have to be dyspraxic to be exeptional

But it helps!
Goldenhamster
Mega Poster

Postby Joss1991 » Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:53 pm

i used to be reallly organized until recently when my short term memory got worse.
Joss1991
Splendiferous Member

Postby Taradino_Cassat » Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:16 am

Before you got to bed write a list of all the things you need and tape it to your school bag or fridge or whatever, just don't forget to take it off. I remember walking to school with a list of books taped to my bag, arrrg embarrasing :oops: !
If you can find a Videogame you can beat me at I'll give you $1000000.

"Whoops I dropped the soap! ^_^;"
Taradino_Cassat
Advanced Member

Postby Bladen » Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:52 pm

I have a eally good tip which may apply to alot of people.

Though you may know how to do all this stuff, you just cannot be bothered right? then get off your buttocks and start helping yourself, making life easier rocks and you can make more mess for the hell of it.
Bladen
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby parnassus » Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:53 pm

Chronic disorganisation is a symptom of dyspraxia. It stems from significant difficulties with short-term memory. Some teachers accuse dyspraxic students of not caring when they lose their work or can't find their textbooks ("You just can't be bothered, can you?") when in reality most of us work extremely hard to stay afloat. I know that the majority of people on this forum are very determined - not lazy at all. I have to spend two hours getting my room presentable when my mum can do just as much in a quarter of the time. In the words of New Zealand's Dyspraxia Association, "I would if I could, but sometimes I can't." Getting off my backside isn't an issue.
parnassus
Site Admin

:

Postby k9ruby » Fri Mar 10, 2006 7:58 pm

Chronic disorganisation is a symptom of dyspraxia. It stems from significant difficulties with short-term memory. Some teachers accuse dyspraxic students of not caring when they lose their work or can't find their textbooks ("You just can't be bothered, can you?") when in reality most of us work extremely hard to stay afloat. I know that the majority of people on this forum are very determined - not lazy at all. I have to spend two hours getting my room presentable when my mum can do just as much in a quarter of the time. In the words of New Zealand's Dyspraxia Association, "I would if I could, but sometimes I can't." Getting off my backside isn't an issue.

Another great thing about having a laptop is ui only have one book to worry about (maths)!
k9ruby
Site Admin

Re: :

Postby Fortnox » Wed Mar 15, 2006 6:36 pm

k9ruby wrote:Another great thing about having a laptop is ui only have one book to worry about (maths)!

And the attention it draws to you. When you start up your laptop in class, don't pepole crowd round you, asking you what it is, or pressing buttons to annoy you, "accidently" hitting the power button, etc.?
Fortnox
Forum Master

Postby parnassus » Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:16 pm

Having to fend off some annoyingly immature people is much better than letting your education suffer.

Only set up your laptop when the teacher is in the room. This should solve that problem. Eventually the silly fools will tire of their game.
parnassus
Site Admin

lol

Postby k9ruby » Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:46 pm

Another great thing about having a laptop is ui only have one book to worry about (maths)!

And the attention it draws to you. When you start up your laptop in class, don't pepole crowd round you, asking you what it is, or pressing buttons to annoy you, "accidently" hitting the power button, etc.?

Well, i have solved that problem. i have a key that disables its buttons and keys and pointer! They dont know that!
k9ruby
Site Admin

Postby Fortnox » Thu Mar 16, 2006 4:55 pm

Lol! Nice trick Ruby, ingenious even.

Is a PDA a good idea? My mum has started talking about getting one, she says it'll improove my orgonisaiton. Don't get me wrong, she's not forcing me to get one, just saying its a posibility. So, is it a good idea? I'm just afraid it'll become one of those things that works for a while, but dosen't last, and one way or another ends up being a waste of time. Its not that I can't see the benifits of it, apart from anything else I can set up my time table on it so I don't have to peice together my 6 peices of time table to see what lesson I have next, and if I loose my pen or something I can put a reminder to get a new pen, and stuff like that. Does anyone else here use a PDA, do you reccomend it or?
Fortnox
Forum Master

Postby Danni » Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:54 am

They're great- so long as you don't sit on it! (which is what I did with mine...)

I'm going to buy a laptop next- I'm doing a computer course so it'll be more useful than a pda, and will be able to use it to type everything :)
Purple penguin resistance member
Danni
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Next

Return to Dyspraxia Coping Tips