Arabic Test

Stuck with your schoolwork? Post any questions or queries here and we'll all try to help.

Arabic Test

Postby Esioul » Mon Mar 13, 2006 3:02 pm

Agh, I have an arbic text this evening. Trouble is, I haven't done enough revision what with other essays etc and practicals reports which needed doing, I'm trying to revise now but there's not enough time. My spelling is always so awful, epecially in arabic.
Esioul
Forum Master

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Mon Mar 13, 2006 3:40 pm

Good luck with your test. I'm sure you'll do better than you think. Your spelling doesn't seem awful to me. ;)
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Postby Andy » Mon Mar 13, 2006 4:45 pm

good luck with your test
Andy
Splendiferous Member

Postby madame_tigre » Mon Mar 13, 2006 6:06 pm

Best of luck!
madame_tigre
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby kitty_cute » Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:16 pm

Best of luck! xxx
Japan ! ^_^ <super kawaii>

No PM'S please unless it's urgent =]
kitty_cute
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby monkey » Mon Mar 13, 2006 9:06 pm

good luck
monkey
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby parnassus » Wed Mar 15, 2006 3:19 pm

Just a tip - if you're finding Arabic spelling difficult, it won't be the written language itself that is causing you problems. It will be your pronunciation or your listening skills. Arabic is almost perfectly phonetic - it is spelt exactly how it sounds - so you're probably not 'hearing' the words right in your head. I suggest you get some Arabic music or tape recordings of Al-Jazeera (the news channel) just to accustom your brain to some of the more unfamiliar sounds, the ones we don't have in English. It helps me.
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby Esioul » Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:14 pm

Thanks guys. I think it went ok.

I mgiht try getting some arabic music or something. We don't have many tv channels at home and I don't really watch tv.

It's the grhayn (can't really transliterate that easily) that I can't say at all! I'm getting the hang of the ayn.

Shukran!

Mostly my sentences are limited to the bint, the bint's kalb, and the bint's kalb's bayt, and how the waled went to a mataam sini.
Esioul
Forum Master

Postby parnassus » Wed Mar 15, 2006 6:05 pm

Can you speak French? 'Gh' sounds just like the French 'r' - you roll it a little. 'Ghurfah' is closer to 'roorfah' than you think. Just take a short breath before you say the word and exhale in a rush as you approach the 'gh'.

Yes, I find it strange the amount of emphasis that Arabic teachers place on pet dogs - especially as most Arabs won't touch them, being Muslim. The bint is much more likely to own a bis than a kalb. ;)

You can get Arabic music from Amazon or occasionally in HMV. I recommend Amr Diab and Najwa Karam.
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Return to Study Support