Any Good Ideas

Stuck with your schoolwork? Post any questions or queries here and we'll all try to help.

Any Good Ideas

Postby Andy » Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:16 pm

I have a speech to write roughly 5mins for the speech making competion at school. I won it two years ago with a speech about Dyspraxia. Other topics have been "The life of a pie?" Barbie dolls,can Bob Geldof change the world ect so I am trying to think of something original for a topic. Maybe something amusing . :roll: :roll:
Andy
Splendiferous Member

Postby parnassus » Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:57 pm

The clothes label thread from this forum! :D

Err...perhaps not.

If I were you, I would choose an amusing event from my life (i.e. the time I journeyed across a thousand miles of desert without going to the toilet once because I was afraid of being spied on by goatherds) and title it 'The Art of Travel' or something like that. I'd announce at the beginning that I planned to give travel tips to the audience, but as the story unfolded, with all its mishaps, it would become apparent than I was actually sending myself up - along with popular travel writing. Have you any experiences you could use?
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby Andy » Sat Mar 18, 2006 8:25 am

That sounds great but I wouldnt even know how to start the farthest Ive been is Island of Arran (summer hols) Or London see my Nan. could you help me even with some bullit points it sound as if it could be hillarious
Andy
Splendiferous Member

Postby kitty_cute » Sat Mar 18, 2006 12:23 pm

You could mention how much you needed the toilet on the way up to London, and your bottle (with what was water) would not be able to hold the capacity of your bladder's.. *hem*.. contents :)
Japan ! ^_^ <super kawaii>

No PM'S please unless it's urgent =]
kitty_cute
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Andy » Fri Oct 27, 2006 5:38 pm

Help I have an essay to write for Monday and I cant even think of a title never mind writing the thing. It has to be imaginative with a dream running through like for instance the novel mice and men. All suggestions would bew very welcome but I need them by Sunday morning latest so that I can write it. :roll:
Andy
Splendiferous Member

Postby Kentigern » Sat Oct 28, 2006 8:17 am

Whatever you do don't fall into the trap of ending "and he woke up, found it was a dream and lived happily ever after". It is so cliched!

Here are some suggestions of how to approach the problem. Is there something you feel strongly about as an issue? I'm sure there is! Try and think of how you can weave this into a story involving a dream and real life. How could you get your message across? What techniques could you use?

An idea that occurs to me is that you could use contrast to make your point. The dreams could be the contrast of what is happening in real life. Something good might be happening in real life while something unpleasent might be happening in the dreams, or vice versa. It might be interesting to constantly flip between the dream and real life.

Think about the kind of ending you want. Does the dream become reality so that the dream and reality are one, or does the dream and reality diverge (become more distant frome aech other?)

Remember to use other techniques such as imagery etc.

I won't say anything else, but I hope that helps you think of something :)
Gordon Lawrence

Kentigern
Mega Poster

Postby Hermionefan5 » Sat Oct 28, 2006 11:28 pm

Do something you feel passionate about as Gordon says, but I wouldn't try to do abortion or the death penalty because those are often so controversial and people already have such decided opinions on them. Creation vs. Evolution usually falls under this category as well. My teachers from speech class told me this.

Suggested topics:
Stem Cell research
designer babies
the war in Iraq
euthanasia
animal testing
Image is from "Gilmore Girls" Season 1
"You are the same as everyone else."--"Forrest Gump"
"I want you to go out there and skate for these people like I have seen you skate."--"The Cutting Edge"
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Return to Study Support