Tips for Coping with SID, Phobias, and Panic Attacks

Share any tips or ideas that you have which make living with dyspraxia easier.(Please start a new thread for each tip)

Postby parnassus » Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:46 pm

Not all psychologists are the same, BHA - don't write them all off. There are many different treatments available and many kinds of psychologist. To borrow a common expression, mine rocks my socks. (I take it that means 'she is terrific'.)

At least, she would do if I were wearing any.
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

lol

Postby k9ruby » Thu Apr 20, 2006 3:56 pm

At least, she would do if I were wearing any.

hehehe...very funny! :P
k9ruby
Site Admin

Postby C » Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:52 pm

parnassus wrote:To borrow a common expression, mine rocks my socks. (I take it that means 'she is terrific'.)

Ha, that made me laugh :D 'Rocks my socks', I've never heard that expression before!
C
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby rita » Wed May 10, 2006 2:27 pm

she would do if I were wearing any.

Even funner! since we're into being gramatically creative :P
rita
Advanced Member

Postby meme » Thu May 18, 2006 5:46 pm

I didnt think i had SID but it looks like I do. I cant stand the TV being a little too loud or people talking when Im trying to work,noises of lorries passing quite often make me jump too and I cant stand being crowded by people (I get a bit claustrophobic and feel like I have to get out of the situation immediately), teachers shouting (even if there not shouting at me) affects me badly too.
meme
Advanced Member

Postby carrie » Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:58 pm

very interesting reading this I can be fine in some crowds but other times i freak completely and go shaky and if its really loud somewherew i can panic but other times same stuff can happen like at certain concerts im fine and if its noise take deep breaths and focus on you
smile it could be worse

carrie

MY blog all about me and muy interests a bit like an online diary

http://runrigangelic.blogspot.com
carrie
Forum Master

Re: Tips for Coping with SID, Phobias, and Panic Attacks

Postby Creative » Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:55 pm

Taking deep breaths and going somewhere quiet to calm down is a good idea.
Wearing my coloured glasses has helped me become less stressed in places where there is bright light.
I find that unexpected situations and change can make me anxious. Last week my cat was very ill, we found out that my Grandad's cancer has got worse, my mum has a new job and a few other things happened. This made me feel anxious but I feel better today.
Creative
Forum God !

Postby Spoon » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:59 pm

I sometimes wear tinted glasses to go shopping or if I feel particularly sensitive to sensory things that day. I do feel pretty self conscious though. At one point my partner used to go shopping with me as I end up zoning out because of the lighting. Most of my panic attacks have subsided. They used to all be as a result of social or sensory issues, now just sensory. I have developed a specific 'tic' which happens in these sorts of situations. It is quite obvious as it involves most of my upper body and so can be embarrassing but I'd much sooner this than have as many panic attacks as I was. It has become quite regular though. Sometimes I can hold it in but I've taken to letting it happen, particularly if I'm in a space where that's acceptable.
Spoon
Mega Poster

Postby justme6565 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:29 am

It's really interesting... I think I have a mild SID-not enough to trigger panic attacks, but I do get a chlastrophobia-like sensation when I am exposed to too much auditory sitmuli (tactile can set it off too, but it is normally auditory.) When I've been put into overload, everything starts to bother me. RARLY, I have trouble breathing, but I've never had a full scale panic attack.
I always carry around my iPod/headphones. Normally, I'll excuse myself until I can calm down, but if I'm in a situation where I cannot leave, I have a certain track of New Age music that calms me down. If I'm in a situation where I can't listen to music, class for instance, I'll put in my headphones with no music. (I got permission first) I can still hear the teacher, but the sound's not as intense... It helps...
“Cherish forever what makes you unique, 'cuz you're really a yawn if it goes.” ~Bette Midler
justme6565
Forum Master

Postby kitty123 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:42 pm

i have a phobia of swimming underwater but my pe techer is my head of year and she says i am pathetic but i cant evan swim[size=50][/size]
"dyspraxia made me who i am today without it life would be boring (the little lifts you get when you manage to to an simple "everyday task like pouring juice without spills )" [/color]
kitty123
Super Poster

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:11 pm

Ask your parents to talk to her about it. Bullying, especially bullying of students by teachers, is not acceptable. *hugs*
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Previous

Return to Dyspraxia Coping Tips