Tips for Memory and Personal Organisation

Share any tips or ideas that you have which make living with dyspraxia easier.(Please start a new thread for each tip)

Postby Andy » Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:54 am

Ive got a PDA and a foldaway keyboard for it which means that I could ditch the laptop and do all my work on the PDA then print it of either at home or in support for learning. It all folds to about the size of a pencil case. You can also use it for timetables homework ect. I love it and cant think how I coped with school without it. My biggest problem is getting the homework written down especially at the end of a class when I am trying to pack up and get to my next class on time. My learning support teacher is sending a memo around all of my classes to ask that homework be given out in the middle of the period. Hope the teachers read the memos :roll: :roll: :roll:
Andy
Splendiferous Member

Postby parnassus » Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:57 pm

A PDA is a marvellous gadget to have. Mine is like my fifth limb. It doesn't work for a while - it works all the time. (Providing you remember to charge it! :P On week nights I charge mine when I'm in bed at night.) It's like an extension of my short-term memory that never plays tricks on me or goes faulty.
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby Fortnox » Fri Mar 17, 2006 6:41 pm

Thanks for the replies, I really apreciate it :D What kind of features do you think I and my mum should look for when buying one?
Fortnox
Forum Master

pda

Postby k9ruby » Fri Mar 17, 2006 6:43 pm

Lol! Nice trick Ruby, ingenious even.

Is a PDA a good idea? My mum has started talking about getting one, she says it'll improove my orgonisaiton. Don't get me wrong, she's not forcing me to get one, just saying its a posibility. So, is it a good idea? I'm just afraid it'll become one of those things that works for a while, but dosen't last, and one way or another ends up being a waste of time. Its not that I can't see the benifits of it, apart from anything else I can set up my time table on it so I don't have to peice together my 6 peices of time table to see what lesson I have next, and if I loose my pen or something I can put a reminder to get a new pen, and stuff like that. Does anyone else here use a PDA, do you reccomend it or?

I use a ipaq 1930 :D
k9ruby
Site Admin

Postby meme » Thu May 18, 2006 5:56 pm

My tip for organisation is date everything and file it away safely as soon as you get it. I didnt do this with 2 very important booklets for school recently and I lost them somewhere between last week and this week. I had to end up borrowing someone elses and photocopying the whole thing which cost me quite a bit of money.
meme
Advanced Member

even if

Postby k9ruby » Fri May 19, 2006 6:35 pm

Even if you dont have a pda, you can do the same thing on most phones.
k9ruby
Site Admin

sorry

Postby k9ruby » Fri May 19, 2006 6:36 pm

sorry for double posting but i have joined BEBOs birthday reminder service, its invaluable! :D
k9ruby
Site Admin

Postby Hermionefan5 » Mon May 22, 2006 5:07 pm

I am highly disorganized, as my neat-nick roomie would be happy to tell you. However, on the one or two occasions (like today) where I am very organized, I write in my assignment notebook with a blue pen or any pen I can find. I write down goals for the week so I can plan out my schedule. For Example:

Today May 22, 2006:

1. Do Creative Writing homework from 12-1
2. Lunch at 1:30 with my friend from school and my roommate.
3. 2:30 meet with teacher
4. 1:40 do Excel homework
5. Finish whatever I need to have finished from this morning.
6. Work on Poem for Creative Writing
7. Watch Everwood season finale as a break from school stuff.
8. Start dictionary of terms for Creative Writing
9. Finish excel homework for tomorrow.
10. Bed. (oh and dinner at 5 or 5:30).

I usually take 10 minute walks as breaks between homework too.

I think that the tape recorder is also a good idea so long as you remember to listen to it! :lol:

I also like post its, as long as they don't get lost. And the white board is a good idea because you can get different colored markers for it for different subjects. I also reccommend different colored notebooks or different themed notebooks (I have a Spiderman 2 folder for my Creative Writing stuff and a Lisa Frank folder for my Excel stuff.) Make sure you label your notebooks and folders and other books so you don't lose them and put your name, phone number and/or mailing address on them. That way if you lose something then someone can give it back to you in a timely manner and you won't freak out as much. :) The last idea comes from a book called Learning Outside the Lines by two college kids, one has ADD and one has dyslexia, who both went to Brown University. Brown is an Ivy League school like Harvard and Yale. It's very prestigious and a very hard school to graduate from, just like other Ivy League schools. These guys both graduated and they are successful people (the guy with dyslexia is an English teacher and the guy with ADD is an artist). They wrote the book while still at Brown. :D They wrote it because they had had lots of trouble with the American School System being so hard on ADD/LD/disabled kids and they wanted all those people to know that there are ways to succeed in school (and life). They have amazing stories (both of them had really hard times before they got where they are). The only warning I have to give you about the book is there is quite a bit of swearing in it. One of the guys grew up in a house where everyone swears so it comes out in his writing.

The book is a very fun, helpful book. They are really funny and they can poke fun at themselves too, which I think is a good quality in a person.

Please check out Learning Outside the Lines by Jonathan Mooney and David Cole. 8)
Image is from "Gilmore Girls" Season 1
"You are the same as everyone else."--"Forrest Gump"
"I want you to go out there and skate for these people like I have seen you skate."--"The Cutting Edge"
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Hermionefan5 » Mon May 22, 2006 5:19 pm

Actually the book is called Learning Outside the Lines: Two Ivy League Students with Learning Disabilities and ADHD Give You the Tools for Academic Success and Educational Revolution. Again, it's by Jonathan Mooney (who has dyslexia) and David Cole (who has ADHD).

Here's a link to read excerpts from the book:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/sitbv3/reader/102-1424367-9681731?%5Fencoding=UTF8&asin=068486598X
"I want you to go out there and skate for these people like I have seen you skate."--"The Cutting Edge"
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Bladen » Wed May 24, 2006 8:36 pm

1. Put things where you know they are. No matter how weird the place may be :D

2. Put a notice next to your TV or computer saying what homework you got. If you're like me, it will eventually get on your nerves so much you do it.
Bladen
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Hermionefan5 » Thu May 25, 2006 11:03 am

Bladen wrote:1. Put things where you know they are. No matter how weird the place may be :D

2. Put a notice next to your TV or computer saying what homework you got. If you're like me, it will eventually get on your nerves so much you do it.

Those are very good ideas (especially like the second one as I am a procrastinator)!

After all I am in a procrastinators of the world group on facebook. :lol: I need to get help to stop my procrastination.
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby tears_on_a_pillow » Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:28 am

re tidying up my mum turns up about 2x a week and has a go at me for my apartment being messy she still dont comprehend that I just cant bear throwing things out so I hoard them, so she bless her after ranting at me helps me clean my apartment. It is iritating but if she didnt you wouldnt be able to see the floor or spot a clean work surface
tears_on_a_pillow
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Page » Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:36 am

I use a IBM thinkpad laptop with the linux operating system-- although linux has a learning curve if you're not used to unix-like environments, it is incredibly powerful and it's customizability lets me have my system customized to my exact needs and specifications. With windows or mac, you have to take and accept what they give oyu, but Linux lets me have exactly what I need exactly how I want it.
Page
Mega Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Dyspraxia Coping Tips