wood work!

Share any tips or ideas that you have which make living with dyspraxia easier.(Please start a new thread for each tip)

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:07 pm

Vicky is right.

I suggest that if you can't get out of woodwork, you follow Vicky's advice about the gloves. However, I don't think you should have to put up with it any more. It's not fair, and it's not like woodwork is an essential skill.
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Postby invisifish » Wed May 17, 2006 7:07 pm

i had wood werk agian today and i ended up spending most of the one and a half hour lesson siting on a bench with my hads over my ears and my eyes closed. i got quite nervos and anxios about what the teacher would think but he was nice and said that i should get some ear plugs, i think he is under the impresion that i have some sort of problem with my ears, he asked if i had talked to the school docktor about my problems, i said somthing like no, and that sounds werent my only problem but i dont think he heard me becuse i was mumbuling becuse i was nervos. i think he thinks my problems are reasent becuse iv been ok dooing wood work for the parst two and a half years. im a bit woryed(i think a bit woryed is an understatment) about what he will think and about every thing els.
invisifish
Splendiferous Member

Postby parnassus » Wed May 17, 2006 11:17 pm

Amy, I don't understand why these problems have only just appeared if you've been doing woodwork for two years and a half now. Perhaps you should see a doctor - this may be connected to an anxiety disorder that you have developed rather than dyspraxia. Sensory integrative dysfunction does not develop; you are born with it and you can't control the way certain stimuli make you react. If this were pure SID, you would have been behaving like this all along. You need to get it checked out.
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby invisifish » Thu May 18, 2006 4:44 pm

i have always had the problems with noises and texturs but iv only just started showing them. i used to try to be normal at all costs and if it ment surering in silence so be it.
invisifish
Splendiferous Member

Postby meme » Thu May 18, 2006 5:33 pm

I had problems with woodwork when i done it (or Tech & design as they call it in my school). I was petrified of any machines especially the drilling machine. I cut my finger on something everytime I had it (twice a week) and was amazed at how everyone else was so good at it! But after asking for help from fellow pupils and the teacher, I wasnt so scared of it and I really started to enjoy it. I dont have to do it anymore but if you ask for a little help, it might make it more bearable but if it is really not your thing and you cant cope with it, I'd say try and find a way of getting out of it.
meme
Advanced Member

Postby parnassus » Thu May 18, 2006 6:00 pm

i have always had the problems with noises and texturs but iv only just started showing them. i used to try to be normal at all costs and if it ment surering in silence so be it.

Amy, this may sound harsh, but in that case your SID is nowhere near as bad as you think it is. Most of us don't have the option of 'pretending to be normal'. A panic attack is not something we can control - it just happens. I would never be able to hide my reactions to undesirable tastes, noises, textures, smells, etc. even if I wanted to - for me, the only way to keep them a secret would be literally to run from the room. If you are capable of keeping the discomfort under control, then this is not a huge difficulty for you.

It will still be very uncomfortable, but you need to make a distinction between what's comfortable and what's merely bearable. You could explain to the woodwork teacher that you've always disliked certain noises and textures, but you felt too shy to tell anyone. Then show him some of the coping tips we have offered you so that you can begin to make your woodwork lessons a bit easier. I hope that helps.
parnassus
Site Admin

sensory

Postby k9ruby » Fri May 19, 2006 6:34 pm

My sensory diffculties invoving loud noises especially used to be terrible, and i can totally relate to vicky with this, however they arnt as bad as what they used to be and plus i dont have SID.

noises that would 'set me off' when i was younger.

Hairdyers
Vacummes
Drills
Proccesors
Babies crying
strange noises
loud bangs
Any other similar noise.(long list!)

One very good example is once i had a birthday party, and had a friend bring her babie round...who started screaming...and screaming.... and i then i started screaming, and screaming, for about 2 hours.
[/list]
k9ruby
Site Admin

Postby Page » Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:57 am

Actually, I don't mind wood work, probably b/c I was around it so much when I was young. In that way, I got used to the sounds that the various power tools make, and since I wear earplugs around power tools, it doesn't bother my noise oversensitivity too much.

I can understand that people with dyspraxia might find the idea of working around spinning saw blades and razor-sharp cutting tools terrifying, but you simply have to respect the tools and chances are, you won't get hurt. Also, it helps if you don't do anything stupid or careless, because even with safety barriers, a spinning router bit can take off a fingertip before you even know what has happened to you. (Other tools can do a lot worse things to you, the details of which I won't go into)

Just keep a safe ammount of distance between your hands and the cutting area and you should be alright. I've been around these tools for years off and on and I've worked out rules that I abide by that allows me to work safely inside of my limitations. I've been minorly hurt several times, but that was when I was careless or did stuff I shouldn't have done

E.G. One time, I was bevelling a piece of oak on a table saw, and the piece that I cut off hit the side of the spinning blade when i tried to remove it with another piece of wood, (in retrospect, I should have stopped the saw first) and shot back clear across the room and hit the wall behind me rather hard. A few seconds later, another piece just like it did the same thing and hit me in the leg. Mercifully, the ends were blunt or I would have ended up staking myself. It did leave a really bad bruise, though.
Page
Mega Poster

Postby parnassus » Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:15 am

Just keep a safe ammount of distance between your hands and the cutting area and you should be alright.

The problem with this is that most of us are unable to judge distance and so can't work out whether we're safe. It's hard to use dangerous machinery when you can't judge how close the blade is. If you use the same tools week after week, for a long period of time, I suppose it may get easier - I hardly ever fall over in my bedroom, for example, because the furniture has been arranged in the same way since I was a little girl and my brain has got used to the layout. On the disastrous occasions when my mum has tried to rearrange things (without my permission!) I got very upset without knowing why.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby ace puddy » Tue Dec 26, 2006 10:36 pm

i do woodwork i think it is quite fun.. this is just my opinion but i think if i never tried to do it then i wouldnt have known that i liked it and i used to hate the sandedr it was soo scary but once you use it it isnt too scary i think that if u dont try it ull think well did i really like woodwork? sometimes ur scaredom gets the better of u lol :D:D:D :lol:
XxX Judy XxX - never give up on a miracle, because when you give up, you give up on a corner of a miracle. :D
ace puddy
Super Poster

Postby Katielauren2001 » Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:57 pm

At my school we call woodwork technical and I also have problems but with the help of understanding teachers I have learned to just a grin and bare it!!
Katielauren2001
Splendiferous Member

Postby Dork_Lord » Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:51 pm

I really hated woodwork (in 6th form now, don't have to do it :D ). It's good to take precautions with things with blades as my tech teacher has lost one of his fingers. (I don't know what from)
Dork_Lord
Splendiferous Member

Postby ace puddy » Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:28 pm

ye i totally agree with u there was like two ppl to sanded there fingers on the sander, thank god it wasnt bad tho :lol:
XxX Judy XxX - never give up on a miracle, because when you give up, you give up on a corner of a miracle. :D
ace puddy
Super Poster

Postby Celebearel » Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:53 pm

I find that my SID symptoms vary depending on how tired/run down I am. As with most of the symptoms of dyspraxia, I have good days and bad days, so there are some days when I know that I can't go anywhere noisy, or bear to be touched on my back (a particularly hypersensitive area of my body) or that I will have an accident if I work in the lab etc. It may be that I am an unusual dyspraxic - I've been told by my educational psychologist that I am quite atypical in many ways - but this may be the reason that 'invisifish' has different difficulties with woodwork at different times.

Having said this, I'm not sure that I have any particularly useful advice other than that which has been already posted. If you are looking for cotton gloves, buy some from somewhere which sells them for moisturising one's hands (e.g. the body shop), as these are stretchy and fit the hands well, so won't get caught in machinery or awkward corners.

I hope you manage to resolve your problems with woodwork.
Celebearel
Advanced Member

Postby dragoneatscheese » Mon Dec 31, 2007 3:30 pm

you sre very lucky could you ask a TA to help
I somehow also manged to cut myself with the saw
i'm in my own world but it's ok they know me here
dragoneatscheese
Mega Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Dyspraxia Coping Tips