Using word processers in Exams

Stuck with your schoolwork? Post any questions or queries here and we'll all try to help.

Using word processers in Exams

Postby emma » Sat Apr 15, 2006 12:29 am

Hi
I am going to be alloward to do my exams in may on a computer I asked for this because its in my needs assesment but i didn't take it in january exams but when I got my results the markers comment about the ilegibility of my handwriting in places and the exam structure and the fact the exam was unfinished and my tutor also said to me that I could have done better 43% (a pass) because all my coursework marks are above 55%

however I am now a bit sceard that somthing will either go wrong with the computer whilst I am doing the exam or I will be so nervous I cant type

Emma
emma
Super Poster

Postby kitty_cute » Sun Apr 16, 2006 12:50 pm

I recently took my R.S GCSE Mock on a Computer. Emma, dont worry. Everytime you complete a new paragraph, I reccomend saving it to the floppy disc your using (if thats the system your school uses...)
Do you have your own private room? If you do, its very relaxing, just like your typing up an essay for school at home. You'll be fine, and don't be nervous. If you fail, you can always re-sit, so theres nothing to worry about! Hope this helps,

-Daz xxx
Japan ! ^_^ <super kawaii>

No PM'S please unless it's urgent =]
kitty_cute
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby parnassus » Mon Apr 17, 2006 12:09 pm

I used a computer for all my public school exams - GCSE, AS-Level, and A-Level. I will also be using one for the upcoming university exams. I only experienced one technical glitch, and thanks to my fabulous forethought and prudence it wasn't major. My laptop is my faithful buddy and got me through all right. As Daisy says, save your work regularly - after you've finished each paragraph. Save it to disk AND to the hard drive just as an extra precaution. (I did this and I'm very glad of it, as one day the disk drive decided to malfunction. That was the glitch.)

Take the computer. You've got nothing to lose. You will be nervous in exams anyway - at least now you will be a nervous person with legible writing!
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby emma » Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:20 pm

Hi
Vicky and Daisy
Thanks for replying I am going to take the computer and write readable answers I will take your advice of double saving my work.

As for getting a seperate room i don't know if it has been agreed yet because I also requested this as I has my own room when i did my a-levels last year but due to this not being a recomendation in a report the disability co-ordinator is currantly liasing with the exam section at my university I will find out at the begining of may if it has been approved.

Emma
emma
Super Poster

Postby Hermionefan5 » Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:23 pm

Emma-I don't think I have met you so I will say my name first. I'm Shanna. I live in the US. Here we are allowed to have extra time on our tests and we can take them on the computer. I don't do the computer because I don't have that bad of handwriting, but I think it is a very good idea. :D I sometimes get my own private room, but usually there is someone else taking a different test in the room with me. It's not so bad, as long as we are both quiet. :D I do reccommend what Daz said about the floppy disks or cd. Always keep on saving your work! Also, maybe you can save it to a driver (I think that's what it's called). You can wear them around your neck and they are little memory cards that plug into the computer. You can then transfer data to just about any computer around. :D Good luck in all your exams! 8)

~Shanna, Illinois, USA~
Image is from "Gilmore Girls" Season 1
"You are the same as everyone else."--"Forrest Gump"
"I want you to go out there and skate for these people like I have seen you skate."--"The Cutting Edge"
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

lol

Postby k9ruby » Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:16 pm

dont u mean a memory stick or a flash drive?
k9ruby
Site Admin

Postby david456 » Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:11 pm

Hi Emma,

The advice above is sound. If you save your work as soon as you start writing ti should autosave every five minutes in case the computer were ever to do anything like go wrong, however, very rarely does this ever happen so it isn't worth worrying about. Trust me, you will be fine.

Just relax and think about what you are doing. You also have the advantage of a spell checker.
david456
Mega Poster

Postby Vez » Wed Apr 19, 2006 4:32 pm

This is all great advice. I've used a computer for all my exams since GCSE. Don't be worried about it, think of it as an advantage or a way of leveling the playing field.

On the subject of glitches don't worry. I've had things go wrong like computers not starting or freezing up(but I was using a very old computer). The person watching you should be trained to deal with any problem and as a last resort an entirely new computer was once set up for me. They stop the time so you don't loose out. If anything should happen (which it almost certainly won't) then don't panic. Just think of it as extra thinking time.
Vez

Postby emma » Thu May 18, 2006 8:58 pm

hi everyone
I am going to use the word processer for my exams although I am not having a room on my own so i have been put in a small room with 4 others. because the technictions are very reluctant to move computers for exams but after a meeting with the disability coordinator she has told me to try the exam this way first if it doesn't work out she will try and sort somehing out for next year.
I will be aking my exams next tuesday and wedensday.

emma
emma
Super Poster

Postby benny » Thu May 18, 2006 11:38 pm

how did your exams go emma?
i had a history one on tuesday , they said i cud use a computer(far quicker and easier blatantly!!) but i got tere and there and there was only pen and paper available!!... as a result of being really slow with paper i only answered half the questions :? and i hve to resit it ona computer!

well i gues the lsson is , really check wiht your school or college that they ARE going to put u on a computer..

better luck next time i suppose 8)
mogwai make my ears bleed and bill hicks cracks me up!!

please add me on face book, type in "ben francis ward"
benny

Postby emma » Fri May 19, 2006 3:10 am

hi benny
sorry to hear that you did not get to use a computer ror your exams and are going to have to retake. I am due to do my exams next week so hope all will be ok I get a letter each semester with my exam timetable confirming what access arrangements i am going to get in the exams.

Emma
emma
Super Poster

exams

Postby k9ruby » Fri May 19, 2006 6:44 pm

In year six I had my sats with extra time and a different room.

In my year nine sats I had 25% extra time and a laptop. This is at least what i will get for gsce.

I just had my mock, mocks with the computer bbut no-extra time (couldnt fit it in, apparently :roll: ) so the exam office are going to mark it on what ive done. 8)
k9ruby
Site Admin

Postby emma » Tue May 23, 2006 7:22 pm

hi all
I had myh first exam today it went alot better than i expect the computer behaved its self but could not keep up with my typing speed, because the room where i was taking the exam has all of the old computers which were in the libary for the catalogue when i started university. i was in the room by myself today so that was quite good but the technition told me that there will be people there with me in the morning when i sit my next exam.

the only problem was i could not find the room which i was timetabled to be in because it does not exist i was told room 3 and the rooms in the specfic block start at 220 it was supposed to be room 223 i told the tecniction and he said he will get registry to correct this.

emma
emma
Super Poster

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Thu May 25, 2006 10:04 am

Well done. I am glad your exam went well. :)
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Return to Study Support