Austistic spectrum

Share any tips or ideas that you have which make living with dyspraxia easier.(Please start a new thread for each tip)

Postby parnassus » Thu May 18, 2006 5:54 pm

You must understand that fear of breaking away from a routine pushes some AS people to the brink of a panic attack. He will always possess this need for routine and rote, a need that is difficult to meet in such a crazy unpredictable world. Here are some ways to help him:

1.) Suggest that he make a pocket timetable for each day. He can then carry the timetable round with him and and look at it to see what he needs to do next without having to ask you. Perhaps his Learning Support teacher could help him to create these? Better yet, advise him to acquire a PDA. (If he can't afford one, he should apply for Disability Living Allowance.)

2.) Tell him not to worry about this need for routine and reassure him that you don't mind helping. If he's apologising constantly he must be feeling anxious about upsetting you - and the more anxious he gets, the more he will cling to the routines. They are his safety-blanket. The more relaxed he is, the easier he will find it to cope without having to ask you for constant clarification.

3.) Suggest that he see a counsellor (preferably a cognitive behavioural therapist who has some experience with AS). CBT is a practical way of making sure that a routine doesn't seize control of your life. It also favours a very logical approach, which your AS friend will appreciate. On some occasions your friend's routines will inevitably be broken. This may be a distressing thought for him, so distressing that he won't want to talk about it with the counsellor. Remind him that it's better to suffer some mild distress now as he learns to deal with the possibilities rather than to endure a messy meltdown when a routine change occurs without warning. Something like CBT will give him the skills to cope with that kind of situation.
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby invisifish » Tue Jun 06, 2006 7:03 pm

i get nervos even when someone sugests i change my routines. i just say no, i cant and i sometimes yell at the persone telling me to change.
invisifish
Splendiferous Member

routines

Postby k9ruby » Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:39 pm

I have some little sort of routines that i have had for forever, and people undersdtand why i need them and it makes me feel much calmer and if i dont then i get very nervous.

My biggest one is that I MUST HAVE A LIGHT that is at this certain level and place, when i go to bed.

I used to need the doors closed in every room i went into, but that has got much better.

I cannot have the windows or curtains open when i go to bed.

my pillows go in this certain way (pattern) when i go to bed, but this also has a good cause as it stops the duvet from falling off.
k9ruby
Site Admin

Postby Page » Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:50 am

I am very resistant to change-- I haven't changed the way that I comb my hair or anything major about my appearance for over 5 years. I'm happy with finding my own methods for doing things and if someone suggests that I change something i may do it to appease them at first, but I almost always end up reverting.

When I was a child I was happy to be alone as I was more than able to keep myself occupied (which may indicate asperger's-- although I haven't been tested for it) but that changed as I got older. Now, I hate being alone and actively seek out other people.
Page
Mega Poster

Postby Bladen » Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:19 am

I have AS, the efefcts for me are pretty mild, I end up saying or doing more stupid things, my sense of humour is deranged (naturally) and basically I got a shorter fuse. AS and Dyspraxia can overlap but they have their differences though.
Bladen
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby carebear15 » Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:45 pm

change is upsetting to me. I have had this problem my whole life. I tried to avoid change but the teachers made me do what i didn't want to do. I have a problem with my skin feels like i am being pinched. I tell people to not touch my skin and it is irritating and i can't handle it. I have been told last sunday that i am a character. Everybody at church loves me. My friend said i brighten everybody morning.
carebear15
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Katielauren2001 » Wed Dec 20, 2006 5:40 pm

Hmm, my sister has been to an Autistic group to help children there and she also has a friend with a son who has dyspraxia and autism so it is possible that they are connected in some way.
Katielauren2001
Splendiferous Member

Postby Hermionefan5 » Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:30 am

towildhoney wrote:Your psychiatrists behaviour would certainly disturb me and sounds both irational and grossly unprofesional. HERMIONEFAN5

Yeah, like I said, we quit seeing him after that.

I have been officially diagnosed as having:
A non-verbal learning disorder (NLD or NVLD for short)

I have trouble with:
Taking non-verbal cues
organization
space/time stuff (getting homework done in a reasonable amount of time, among other things) I do almost everything at a different pace than most.
math
reading comprehension
a few other things I cannot remember right now.

I was previously diagnosed with OCD when I was younger. I still sometimes feel like I have traces of that because I get anxious sometimes, but some of the symptoms seem to overlap with some of my symptoms for NVLD.

I've heard that OCD is often linked with having a lot of bouts with strep throat. I had strep a lot when I was 7 and this was about the time I got that somewhat innaccurate diagnosis. I am wondering if these rumors about the two being linked are true.
Image is from "Gilmore Girls" Season 1
"You are the same as everyone else."--"Forrest Gump"
"I want you to go out there and skate for these people like I have seen you skate."--"The Cutting Edge"
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

RE: Routine

Postby k9ruby » Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:27 pm

I have been dx with severe dyspraxia and some proffessionals i have met think I have some sort of asd, ranging from AS to PDD-nos. Some aren't sure..

I have a few "routines" that I canot get to sleep propaply without doing:

- Make sure beds right
-close windows/curtains (part of this is i have v.sensitive hearing)
- make sure draws are closed
-make sure bathroom light is on and door wide open.

When I get up, I also have to brush my teeth straight away, but part of that is I hate the feeling of them in the morning.

If I don't do one of these things, i cannot resist the urge to go and do it. If I wake up in the night I do it again.

To other people it may sound weird, and its hard to explain to people why I need to do it- even my little brother teases me about it sometimes (Grr!).

I also like things to be "normal" (if there is such a word lol) I like to know what I'm doing, where, when and how. Every day. If I don't it stresses me out- this has especially been apparent as my grandma had been dying of cancer this week, and my parents have been everywhere, and so have I. At school I couldnt concentrate and felt sick - worried about these two things at the same time. In the end mum brang me home early because even my teachers were noticing, today I've been off just to sort of gather my head a bit and get back to normal....anyone kwim????

:oops:

:cry:
k9ruby
Site Admin

Postby Hermionefan5 » Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:37 pm

I have very acute hearing as well. Sometimes when I hear a loud siren and I'm not expecting it I jump. People have been mean to me about that. I also am sensitive to having stuff too near to my face and I like to read and creatively write before going to bed. It helps me relax.
Image is from "Gilmore Girls" Season 1
"You are the same as everyone else."--"Forrest Gump"
"I want you to go out there and skate for these people like I have seen you skate."--"The Cutting Edge"
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Chinagirl » Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:43 am

i have a few routines. i have to make sure my bedroom door is closed COMPLETELY before i go to bed, the little light on my vcr machine HAS to be covered or else i cant sleep and i get panicky if i dont know things. there are others, but i cant think of any more.
pie

Make your dreams happen and never give up
Chinagirl
Splendiferous Member

Previous

Return to Dyspraxia Coping Tips