Shakespeare

Stuck with your schoolwork? Post any questions or queries here and we'll all try to help.

Shakespeare

Postby chocolatefudgecake » Sun Jun 04, 2006 2:29 pm

For English I have to do an Essay about Act 3 scene 1 of Romeo and Juliet, but I can't do it. I know how to do it, I know what I have to wright about, but I still can't do it.
I Have tried and tried. But I can't put what I want to say into words, And I don't know how to start each paragraph. :(

personally, I don't see why we have to do an Essay about it - I thought The Idea of plays was for people to enjoy, (Aswell as a way for playwrites to make money) Not for people to wright Essay's about. But we have to do it.

My family can't help - Mum & dad haven't read romeo & Juliet, and my sister ended up dropping that part of English (she got really far behind because of being ill a lot.)

I would have E-mailed my English Teacher, But I don't really find him that easy to ask - He is not the friendliest of teachers (Wich is why I don't like him. My sister didn't like him either, when she had him).

Can anyone on here help????
-ChocFC-
A badger! a badger! My Kingdom for a Badger!
chocolatefudgecake
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby tears_on_a_pillow » Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:19 pm

When do you have to have it handed in by? and what is the title of your piece and il try and work on some stuff for you tommorrow (wednesday)

Lea
xxx
tears_on_a_pillow
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby chocolatefudgecake » Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:43 pm

It's now Due in on friday. In the end mum E-mailed him, and I started dreding monday (thats when it was originally due in). But it went fine.

What I need help on is how to get things in my head into words on paper.

Thanks for offering to help.
The Title is 'Examine the dramatic importance of act 3 scene 1 showing how Shakespeare creates tension through a range of drematic devices ' But what do you mean by 'work on some stuff'?
-ChocFC-
A badger! a badger! My Kingdom for a Badger!
chocolatefudgecake
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby parnassus » Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:17 pm

Hello ChocFC!

There is an excellent book called Dyslexia: A Teenager's Guide that has a very good and thorough chapter on how to structure an essay, with lots of examples. Don't be put off by the book's title - in the Introduction the author says that the book will be of equal use to students with dyspraxia, and she's right. It may be too late for you to get the book now, but it will come in very handy for future assignments.

'Examine the dramatic importance of act 3 scene 1 showing how Shakespeare creates tension through a range of dramatic devices.'

First of all, go through the scene very carefully and note the places where tension mounts. You should be able to feel the tension building, even if you don't understand why or how.

Shakespeare works with language. He is a master wordsmith. The answer to that essay question is buried within the way he uses words. But as you have been asked to discuss dramatic devices, and not just linguistic ones, you need to ask yourself how those words feel and sound when they are spoken aloud onstage. Try and act out parts of the scene by yourself. Imagine yourself into the different parts. This should give you a clue.

One of the things you will notice about normal conversation is that most people take turns to speak, and when they do speak, they talk for an equal length of time. The exception to this rule occurs if one person is more knowledgeable about the subject being discussed OR is considered to be more socially important person. If this turn-taking doesn't happen, something is wrong.

BENVOLIO
I pray thee, good Mercutio, let's retire:
The day is hot, the Capulets abroad,
And, if we meet, we shall not scape a brawl;
For now, these hot days, is the mad blood stirring.

MERCUTIO
Thou art like one of those fellows that when he
enters the confines of a tavern claps me his sword
upon the table and says 'God send me no need of
thee!' and by the operation of the second cup draws
it on the drawer, when indeed there is no need.

BENVOLIO
Am I like such a fellow?

MERCUTIO
Come, come, thou art as hot a Jack in thy mood as
any in Italy, and as soon moved to be moody, and as
soon moody to be moved.

BENVOLIO
And what to?

As the conversation goes on, Benvolio's responses become shorter (and short sentences are usually sharper!) and Mercutio's grow longer. The constrast between the two lengths, coupled with the fact that Benvolio meets Mercutio's supposedly soothing replies with angry questions, electrify the air.

A second dramatic feature that helps to create a mood is prosody. Prosody refers to how something sounds:

BENVOLIO
By my head, here come the Capulets.

MERCUTIO
By my heel, I care not.

Mercutio's parroting of Benvolio's opening phrase ("By my head...") and the way the two lines alliterate also help to build up the tension, as alliteration and repetition make a scene sound faster. More slick. Head and heel alliterate, as do come, care, and Capulets.

As well as looking at the prosodic effects, you must look at the meaning of the words. When Benvolio says, "By my head" he means, "By my intelligence, by my brains, by my knowledge." In referring to his feet, Mercutio is being extremely rude - feet are sweaty, unpleasant things. This is a way of showing what he thinks of Benvolio.

You must also consider stage directions and their effects. Pause to imagine how it must look to the audience, to have Tybalt and his gang come storming on with their swords clanking, ready to meet Mercutio and Benvolio. Consider how the tension grows when the subject of the dispute - Romeo - strolls onto the stage.

Use a new paragraph to discuss each aspect of the scene. To structure your essay, divide these ideas I have given you into two groups: ideas connected to language, ideas connected to sound, and ideas connected to visual effect. Plan your essay first to make sure it flows logically. Perhaps you could ask your teacher to check your essay plans in future.

Good luck.
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby tears_on_a_pillow » Wed Jun 07, 2006 1:00 am

for essays I often find it helpful to have some rough / scrap paper and to make spidergraphs of all the key points for example say I have been asked what colors have been used in something I would put

what colors in the middle then have things going off saying RED, YELLOW, BLUE etc

as your piece is to be about Shakespere I would break it down into smaller chunks ie 'who are having a conversation' 'what are they discussing'

you are very welcome to post here when you are finished with it and Im willing to read over what you have, and im fairly certain Vicky wouldnt mind as well)

above all Good luck!!
Lea
xx
ps hope this is coherant as its 2am!
tears_on_a_pillow
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Bladen » Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:34 am

I sometimes have this trouble, mainly I spend alot of exam time thinking deeply and piecing things together, I only small while writing. I get 25% extra time though, something to do with my hands going sore when writing for a while. I always use the extra time, I use the first 10 minutes to read stuff over and over. What you mainly need to do is look at guides, make a plan, and think deeply. I usually get Cs or Ds for my essays (when I can bother writing them) The hardest part is starting. Once you start it should become easier as you go, more ideas come to you. This is just my technique.
Bladen
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Return to Study Support