Balance

Share any tips or ideas that you have which make living with dyspraxia easier.(Please start a new thread for each tip)

Balance

Postby Bladen » Mon May 22, 2006 11:33 am

Yeah, it's pretty annoying, but I can ride two wheeler bikes. When it comes to things like skating, oh god, look out! Dyspraxic skateboarding isn't exactly easy is it? I at least want to have fun without falling off at least once. I got big feet and a thin body, why the hell do my nerves have to be so tense all the time. So any got any tips to get the nerves un tense and not be such a drunk mime? Don't take any offense I can be really bad with comparing and stereotypes, It's hard to keep my mouth shut.
Bladen
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Page » Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:45 am

What happens if you let yourself relax when you're standing up? Do you start to fall immediately (in which case, do you also get tired really easily?), or do you have no problem staying on your feet when you're not all tensed up?
Page
Mega Poster

Postby Bladen » Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:14 pm

If I relax I usually tilt to one side, I cannot keep my foot straight when on something that lacks space or one leg. I got weak ankle muscles and knee muscles too though.
Bladen
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby cookie-monster » Sat Jun 10, 2006 5:54 am

I cannot skate or ride a bike, first time i skated i fell off and hit my head on concrete, riding a bike, hmm i'm fine with stablisiers but as soon as they came off i fell off.
cookie-monster
Mega Poster

Postby meme » Sat Jun 10, 2006 11:13 am

i couldnt ride a bike without the stabilizers for years and I still cant really skate properly-if i let myself relax while standing up-i cross one foot over the other, i cant balance properly if i dont do that.
meme
Advanced Member

Postby Bladen » Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:26 pm

I can ride a bike easily two wheeled, it's stuff like ice skating and roller skating that I can just barely manage to keep straight on and cant do anything fancy. I cannot skateboard as my centre of gravity is just totally off as you may put it..
Bladen
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Andy » Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:17 pm

I can ride a bike but find it totally impossible to even stand up on either a skate board, skates or roller skates. My balance is hopless. :)
Andy
Splendiferous Member

Postby carebear15 » Tue Jun 13, 2006 3:29 pm

I can rollerblade.
It is so much fun.
carebear15
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby greggy » Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:31 pm

i cant ride a biike but can ice skate and i am told i ski better than i walk
greggy
Advanced Member

Postby Page » Wed Jun 14, 2006 7:20 am

Bladen wrote:If I relax I usually tilt to one side, I cannot keep my foot straight when on something that lacks space or one leg. I got weak ankle muscles and knee muscles too though.

Sounds like Hypotonia. I have some of those same symptoms. The constant tension that you described is a lot like what I have to deal with-- I have to keep myself completely rigid when I'm standing up or I just collapse since I go completely limp when not tensed up. If I'm on my feet for any length of time, I try to lean on things as much as I can to make it easier.
Page
Mega Poster

Postby Danni » Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:55 am

I can ride a bike- so long as I don't have to turn or stop!

I can ice skate, though not very fast or do anything fancy. It's fun though.
Purple penguin resistance member
Danni
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Bladen » Sat Jul 08, 2006 4:08 pm

I can ride bikes because I have long legs so when I stop or turn I just put one leg on the ground for support. I can walk on ice skates fine except the only time I have ice skated I put the shoes on the wrong feet.... I did pretty good.
Bladen
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby carrie » Sat Jul 08, 2006 8:32 pm

I can ride a bike aslong as you dont expect me to go in a completely straight line I can Ice skate if im near enough to grab the edge when I panic but Im lethal to myself on a skate board i cant even go straight on the floor
smile it could be worse

carrie

MY blog all about me and muy interests a bit like an online diary

http://runrigangelic.blogspot.com
carrie
Forum Master

Postby Bladen » Sat Jul 08, 2006 10:14 pm

I've tripped up on the football pitch alot before, and I've twisted my ankles and pulled hamstrings alot as a result of overpushing myself in physical stuff.
Bladen
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby kitty_cute » Sun Jul 09, 2006 1:43 pm

Hm I have a VERY low wall around my house, and ever since I was ickle, I used to walk on it. I think it's like, made me more aware of balance and stuff, because it doesn't really effect me.

However, once on Holiday, my friend and I were walking along these stepping stones in the middle of this pool.... I was PARANOID that I would fall in... So I think if I'm pressured, I'm all wobbly again xD.
Japan ! ^_^ <super kawaii>

No PM'S please unless it's urgent =]
kitty_cute
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Next

Return to Dyspraxia Coping Tips