Maths!? oh no

Share any tips or ideas that you have which make living with dyspraxia easier.(Please start a new thread for each tip)

Maths?

NO!
4%
I love maths
22%
it's not that bad.
25%
KILL IT, kill it, kill it, kill it, KILL IT!!!!!!!!
49%

Total votes : 79

Maths!? oh no

Postby Bladen » Sun Jul 09, 2006 6:48 pm

It sucks. 2 words.

I can do timsing, adding, and all the basic stuff, decimals, perecentages and fractions and basic algebra but the big stuff that gets you high marks is what builds my wall, similtaneous equations and stuff like that. In GCSE maths there is one way that you're supposed to work out sums, for each type of sum you get a single method that you should use, other methods lose you marks which i see unfair. I have my own simpler methods to working the stuff out but because of this I never got a C in my mocks, now I await my D next month. So what are your problems and tips for those in this position?
Bladen
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby pinkparrot » Sun Jul 09, 2006 6:55 pm

Overall I'd say that I quite like Maths even though I can only do half of it. I'm OK when I know what I'm doing but it drains too quickly. I like algebra, percentages, triangles and some other things but I hate graphs, bearings and anything to do with spacial skills. I don't like calculators because the value for pi varies.
pinkparrot
As Mad As A Box Of Frogs !

Postby Bladen » Sun Jul 09, 2006 6:59 pm

Pi = 3.14 recurring though, calculators can suck I know but I find maths boring when it gets to stuff like Advanced algebra and long multiplication/division.
Bladen
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby pinkparrot » Sun Jul 09, 2006 7:01 pm

The one thing I really like about maths is that the answer is either right or wrong - it makes the rest of life look like a huge mist.
pinkparrot

Postby Bladen » Sun Jul 09, 2006 7:16 pm

The exams focus on giving marks for methods of getting the answer, that's why science is superior to maths, there are always answers for a single question, some not discovered yet.
Bladen
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby kitty_cute » Sun Jul 09, 2006 9:36 pm

Maths offically sucks. If I finally crack how to do something, I forget it all five minutes later. Silly subject. -blocks from mind how it's 'important'.-
Japan ! ^_^ <super kawaii>

No PM'S please unless it's urgent =]
kitty_cute
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby invisifish » Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:36 pm

i like math. i find some thinigs dificult, but thats the fun of it. this is just my opinion. numbers are like friends to me, and iv noticed that they are more concistant then friends.
invisifish
Splendiferous Member

Postby parnassus » Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:58 pm

The one thing I really like about maths is that the answer is either right or wrong

PP, you are in for a treat. ;) As you progress through maths that ceases to be true. I have a friend who studies physics at Oxford. There they can't even agree on whether a straight line is actually straight, or just part of a circle of infinite radius.

I struggled with maths terribly. My weak short-term memory and poor sequencing skills made it particularly difficult. I can't hold a pattern or a sequence of numbers in my head for longer than a few seconds. I would miswrite equations and get the numbers all jumbled up. And so much of it just seemed staggeringly illogical - I could never see the purpose in half of what we were trying to do.

I had to do two hours' extra maths per week in the special needs department. My special teacher was very patient with me but I still hated every moment of those lessons. I passed my GCSE exam in the end, though - I got a C. I got A*s and As in my other subjects, but that C meant more to me than all the starred As - maths was so difficult and I'd had to work so darned hard for it. I danced when I got my certificate. Literally.

In GCSE maths there is one way that you're supposed to work out sums, for each type of sum you get a single method that you should use, other methods lose you marks which i see unfair.

I don't think that's true. In my school we were allowed to use any method we liked providing we showed our working - the examiners like to see how you've arrived at your answer. The teachers would only show us one or two methods for each topic to prevent it from taking up too much class time, but providing you've got the right answer and it's clear how you arrived there, I doubt the examiners will penalise you for using an original method.
Last edited by parnassus on Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby pinkparrot » Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:24 pm

Don't do that! You'll mess my head up for the next exam. A straight line is 180 degrees. The edge of a circle is part of a circumference. If a straight line is part of a circle then what does that make your average decagon?

*returns to the comfortingly familiar x and y*
pinkparrot

Postby kitty_cute » Tue Jul 11, 2006 5:05 pm

A straight line is 180 degrees. The edge of a circle is part of a circumference. If a straight line is part of a circle then what does that make your average decagon?

*returns to the comfortingly familiar x and y*

Even that makes my head swim with confusement.

I had to do two hours' extra maths per week in the special needs department. My special teacher was very patient with me but I still hated every moment of those lessons.

My GCSE is next year, and I too, have to take extra maths lessons, an hour a week. It's sooo boring, but I think it will get me through my GCSE.
Japan ! ^_^ <super kawaii>

No PM'S please unless it's urgent =]
kitty_cute
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Bladen » Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:44 pm

I learned most of my maths knowledge back in my first few years of my special needs school. Just add more complicated sums and a little algebra and that's all I know. I just don't care one bit for maths and I see it as un needed for my future. Well the stuff my teacher tried to teach me that is.
Bladen
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby monkey » Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:58 am

the idea about teh straight line was interesting. it looks so possible. so i went and discussed it with my Dad. whats the difference between a theoretical straight line and one bound by time and space? acording to Dad thats what makes the difference. i tryed asking more questions but he started yelling about it not being possible that he had already read up about it. my questions didnt get answered. fustraiting. does any one know more about it ? i would love to here more!

im not good at maths most of the time. but i like it. it fasinates me.
monkey
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Page » Wed Jul 12, 2006 4:13 am

To me, math is death. Just the idea of never having to touch math again is enough to make me a happy man.

In introductory algebra (which is the farthest I ever got) I could never follow equations properly and I often omitted a step or did it wrong somehow. Unlike many of oyu, I didn't have any special services to help me because at the time I didn't know about dyspraxia , so I had to try and survive in a mainstream classroom.
Page
Mega Poster

Postby chocolatefudgecake » Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:12 pm

I Like maths. I find most of it easy, and I finally got to top set for this school year.the only problems I've had is that I am a bit slower that the rest of the class.
-ChocFC-
A badger! a badger! My Kingdom for a Badger!
chocolatefudgecake
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Joss1991 » Thu Jul 13, 2006 1:22 pm

im gd at numbers but HATE geometry more than anything
the darker it is the more stars you can see
Joss1991
Splendiferous Member

Next

Return to Dyspraxia Coping Tips