Cookery Tips and Recipes

Share any tips or ideas that you have which make living with dyspraxia easier.(Please start a new thread for each tip)

Postby carrie » Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:04 pm

give yourself far more time than the recipe says in prep time eg be willing to take 10 minutes to peel a potato its frustrating but safer

I HATE vegtable peelers though
smile it could be worse

carrie

MY blog all about me and muy interests a bit like an online diary

http://runrigangelic.blogspot.com
carrie
Forum Master

Postby Alice » Sat Jul 08, 2006 2:21 pm

Sharp Knifes are safer than blunt ones
avoid boiling sugar
Ask your mum/grandma about secret recipies
Alice
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby kitty_cute » Sun Jul 09, 2006 1:46 pm

Never leave anything boiling or frying (especially chip pans!) unattended.
Japan ! ^_^ <super kawaii>

No PM'S please unless it's urgent =]
kitty_cute
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby chocolatefudgecake » Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:18 pm

carrie wrote:I HATE vegtable peelers though

try getting a different type. we have 2 types, and one is easier to use than the other.
-ChocFC-
A badger! a badger! My Kingdom for a Badger!
chocolatefudgecake
The Cat's Pajamas !!

graters

Postby k9ruby » Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:09 pm

BEWARE OF THESE LITTLE INOCENT LOOKING THINGS!

if i don't concentrate enough then the kitchen ends up looking like a murder scene.
k9ruby
Site Admin

Postby carrie » Sun Jul 16, 2006 3:38 pm

yeah we have one that is safer and comfortABLE to use but sttill takes forever which annoys me
smile it could be worse

carrie

carrie
Forum Master

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Sun Jul 16, 2006 4:19 pm

These are the safest kind of peelers:

There's not substitute for taking your time, though. Sorry to say.

If you buy organic vegetables, it's not necessary to peel them. Just wash them.
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Postby towildhoney » Fri Aug 04, 2006 11:19 pm

Ok have just bought a new gadget which could help people it is JML I got it for 5.00 and it from robert dyars it heat seals plastic packets.

Also resealable plastic zip bags

The idea is for example with cheese you could grate it with a food processor much easier! or for example is your away at uni or your family are not areound to help get them to grate cheese for you and then have it portioned into say 50g packets.

You could do this with any ingredient and it will be all ready for cooking.

The air tight seals keep things fresh so the food won'tgo bad (if telling is a problem for you there are tabs that check freshness) you could have sliced chhese to.
towildhoney
Forum Master

Postby chocolatefudgecake » Sat Aug 05, 2006 8:58 pm

Thirteen-thirty-seven wrote:These are the safest kind of peelers:

There's not substitute for taking your time, though. Sorry to say.

If you buy organic vegetables, it's not necessary to peel them. Just wash them.

I find them ones awkward to use. I suppose it depends who you are.
-ChocFC-
chocolatefudgecake
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Goldenhamster » Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:17 pm

Try to use simple recipies to minimise the amount of equipment you use and the complexity of the task.
You don't have to be dyspraxic to be exeptional

But it helps!
Goldenhamster
Mega Poster

Some cooking tips

Postby Celebearel » Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:48 pm

A few tips which I have found useful when cooking and thought others might find useful too:

1. When cutting vegetables etc., take the knife and chopping board to a suitable table and sit at it so that you don't have to co-ordinate so much of your body as you do when you are standing. You can also rest your elbows on the table for extra stability.

2. If you live on your own and get tired easily, put together a vegetable casserole which you can cook in the oven, and then store in the fridge to be eaten throughout the week. Once first cooked, this can be heated in the microwave. Take care that the casserole has a good lid or is not too full though, as hot liquid is very bad. A good pair of oven gloves is essential! I prefer ones with thumbs.

If you find a large casserole dish too heavy, use two smaller heat proof dishes.

Recipe:

This is a guide and can be varied according to taste and vegetable availability

1 tin chopped tomatoes
1 tin beans/ chickpeas
1 onion
sweet potato or similar root veg for bulk
carrot/s
sweet peppers - a good use for the more bitter green ones

whatever other veg you feel like,

add vegetable stock until the vegetables are just covered (vegetable bouillon is good)

cook on a low heat (150 - 180 C) for 1 h 30 mins to 2 hrs. As long as the casserole doesn't dry out it doesn't matter if this varies a bit.

after 30 minutes of cooking add a heaped teaspoon of cornflour in sufficient cold water to turn it into a paste like milk

garlic, dried herbs, salt and pepper can be added to taste.

Once cooked the casserole should be allowed to cool, and then stored in an airtight container in the fridge. Eat with bread, rice or pasta. Meat can be added if reheating in the oven, in which case reheating time needs to be 30 -45 minutes. If reheating in the microwave, 3-4 minutes is usually sufficient.

If you don't like taking hot things out of the oven, invite someone round for dinner and cook this, then ask them to remove it from the oven! I often do this if I'm having a bad day.

Hope this helps.

Rachel
Celebearel
Advanced Member

Postby Lucy_Rush » Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:44 pm

1. Instead of buying and chopping fresh veg i buy a bag of mixed frozen veg. (usually stir-fry veg at the moment just coz i like it). It comes already chopped and is easier. Also you can get a variety of lots of different veg in one bag.

2. If you get cheese, just buy a bag of grated cheese instead of a block. Again you dont need to grate it then. its done for you. it saves time and washing up too. :D

3. As mentioned earlier. get out the things you need. shift them after you've done then you know they've gone in.

4. When using the hob, check you have the right one switched on. (Many a time i've been stood for several minutes wondering why my pan is doing absolutely nothing yet its switched on full). :?

5. Wash up as you go. This is just personal preference, but the kitchen gets so messy if i dont, and its just easier most times.
Lucy_Rush
Forum Master

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Sat Oct 28, 2006 9:19 am

Ready grated cheese is usually more expensive and of a lower quality than ordinary cheese.

You can buy electric graters which grate cheese (an other things) for you. They may seem expensive, but they will actually save money in the long run. This is easier than using ordinary graters. However, they usually do make a loud noise. Wear earplugs if this is a problem.
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Postby carrie » Fri Nov 24, 2006 1:34 pm

hey got a cheaper version of that potato peeler will try it out over the weekend
smile it could be worse

carrie

carrie
Forum Master

Postby chocolatefudgecake » Sat Dec 02, 2006 5:42 pm

Make sure that if someone is giving you instructions, that they are clear and correct (and that the person who is giving them to you knows what they are saying - mum just told me to put the milk and egg mixture in the pan without realising it. She ment to tell me to put the mixture in the pan into the pie dish)
Last edited by chocolatefudgecake on Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-ChocFC-
chocolatefudgecake
The Cat's Pajamas !!

PreviousNext

Return to Dyspraxia Coping Tips