Computer or scribe

Stuck with your schoolwork? Post any questions or queries here and we'll all try to help.

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Tue Oct 24, 2006 6:40 pm

I'm not a "Mathmo", but I have a few friends who could help you. I will contact them for you.
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Postby Celebearel » Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:59 pm

Hi Andy,

For my school exams I just had extra time, and for uni exams extra time, plus being allowed to get up and being allowed to eat. This meant that I got a very painful hand, arm and back from all the writing, but I chose not to use a computer for several reasons:

1, Computers can crash (see Parnassus above)
2, A very high standard of accuracy is expected and when I'm tired, my accuracy goes completely, and I wouldn't have time to correct it in the exam.
3, I do a lot of mathematical subjects which are difficult to type (unless you use LaTeX, which takes extra time). They also require a lot of diagrams, which are difficult to draw either on the computer or by hand, but I find the computer more difficult.

However, I quite understand that you could find having a scribe isn't the most convenient thing, as it is often difficult to put one's thoughts into words in a clear enough way for a scribe.

Are there any mock exams/tests in which you could try out both methods to see which works best for you before you make a decision.

Regarding study tips for science subjects, you mentioned that you find problems difficult to do in physics and Maths. I have a few suggestions which might help.

1, Practice reading through problems and highlighting the pieces of actual information (e.g. weight: 24 N etc.), as opposed to the waffle.
2, Draw a diagram if you possibly can, and make sure it is labelled with the information you've highlighted. It doesn't matter if it is very scruffy and no one but you understands it, but it can really help you to get a feel for the problem.
3, Find/ ask your teacher for a set of problems with worked answers. Try the problems first, then look at the worked answers to see how they are done and how the 'candidate' in the worked answers has distilled the important points of the problem from the whole question.

If you can't find any problems with worked answers, send me some exam papers and I'll see what I can do!

Hope this helps.

Rachel
Celebearel
Advanced Member

Postby Andy » Sat Oct 28, 2006 12:51 pm

Thanks Rachel I never thought of highlighting the important stuff and ignoring all the waffle thats what takes me time reading all the stuff thats not important I will try your idea :P
Andy
Splendiferous Member

Postby Hermionefan5 » Sat Oct 28, 2006 11:32 pm

Could you please tell me what you mean by enquiry skills? I might be able to help you better if I knew what those were.
Image is from "Gilmore Girls" Season 1
"You are the same as everyone else."--"Forrest Gump"
"I want you to go out there and skate for these people like I have seen you skate."--"The Cutting Edge"
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Previous

Return to Study Support