Scribe Reader

Stuck with your schoolwork? Post any questions or queries here and we'll all try to help.

Scribe Reader

Postby Andy » Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:37 pm

My head of year who is also by the way meant to be head of learning support has said that he would be my scribe/reader for my pre lim exams problem is I really dont want him to do it I dont feel confident with him I know he just doesnt like me or has time to even listen to me he has made so many problems fdor me since starting back at school in August. Im sure he was one of the ones that tried to mess up my work placement. How do I tell him without making it look bad that I would rather have someone else ANYONE ELSE :? :? :? :? :?
Andy
Splendiferous Member

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:54 pm

Would it be possible for you to have a laptop instead of a scribe?
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Postby Andy » Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:17 am

The powers that be have decided that a reader scribe would be in my best interests as they dont feel that anyone at secondary school is competent enough on a computer plus there is more scope for mistakes on the computer. Also I am quite a slow reader so I would also need a reader :oops:
Andy
Splendiferous Member

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:24 pm

Don't worry - I am sure he won't make any difference to how your exam turns out. It is in the school's best interests for you to do well.
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Postby Page » Wed Nov 15, 2006 2:32 am

would they prevent you from buying your own computer? That's what I had to do.
Page
Mega Poster

Postby parnassus » Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:21 pm

It's not the provision of a computer that's the problem, Page. I'm not sure about America, but over here in Britain you can only receive special provision in exams if the person who assessed you (usually an educational psychologist) has decided that you need it. If Andy's report states that it is better for him to have a reader and a scribe in exams, he won't be able to override that decision and ask to have something else.

Andy, I don't think there is any way you can ask for a different person to help you without causing offence. Bear in mind that you won't actually have to interact with your support teacher during the exam - he will act as if he is mute, just taking down your words as you dictate them. Occasionally he may ask you to spell something. Try and visualise him as a machine, or else keep your back to him as he writes. I hope that helps.
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby Page » Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:47 am

Ok, I'm starting to see how this works. Fortunately, by my experience, things in America are different; people work to accommodate my needs instead of simply following procedure. They [rightfully] assume that I know what accommodations I need to do well better than anyone else, so they let me call the shots and decide what I need for myself (at least at the university level). I personally find that I do better in environments where there are simply no rules-- where it basically boils down to me doing whatever I have to do to get the job done. I don't know how flexible UK schools are in this area, but perhaps the best way to get results is to ask for new accommodations. If you are refused, keep resubmitting your request to people higher and higher up on the chain of command-- this makes it more likely that you will eventually find someone who will take your requests seriously and has the power to give you what you need.

Also, you can try making informal arrangements on your own without going through proper protocols. This allows you to work around regulations that would otherwise hinder you. I have done this to great success with my instructors; my main request was for additional time on regular assignments, not just exams. My results have been good, ranging from a few extra days with some instructors to as much time as I need from others.

Basically, just try to see how much you can get away with.
Page
Mega Poster

Postby ace puddy » Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:40 pm

see since i have joined my academy i has been asking for a scribe 4 years later and im just about to leave and guess what? still no scribe!!! my friend whos dyslexic shes only waited 2 months for hers and she got 1, its like they forgot about me or they just dont want me to have one.. oh and by the way id just like to say BEARSDEN ACADEMY IS RUBBISH!!!!!!!!! best school in scotland my arse lol :lol:
XxX Judy XxX - never give up on a miracle, because when you give up, you give up on a corner of a miracle. :D
ace puddy
Super Poster

Postby Andy » Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:04 am

Do you go to Bearsden Academy ? thats the school that I would have went to if my mum and dad hadnt moved to Hamilton. I really havnt had any bother with any extra arrangements for exams up until this year but that is because the fantastic learning support head has left and we have a little blob who hs no idea or for that matter any interest in learning difficulties he has made my life so hard since August. So much so that I am seriosly thinking of leaving this year.
Andy
Splendiferous Member

Postby ace puddy » Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:44 pm

well all i can say is listen to your heart do u really wanna leave school? remember that guy cant control ur life only u can its up to u to choose wat u want not any1 else cos they have to life their own lifes. do what U wat to do not what every1 else wants u to do, this only applys to pupils u have to do wht the teach says.. bummer huh? lol
XxX Judy XxX - never give up on a miracle, because when you give up, you give up on a corner of a miracle. :D
ace puddy
Super Poster

Return to Study Support