Immaturity and dyspraxia

Chat with others about dyspraxia and share your experiences.

Postby parnassus » Sat Nov 18, 2006 1:17 am

see that annoys me with my dyspraxia i can get annoyed because i sometimes seem immature on the outside when on the inside i feel like why did i just say that why did i just do that.

I know exactly what you mean, Jason. That happens to me sometimes even now - usually when I'm with a group of people I don't know and I'm feeling nervous. Nervousness clouds my judgement. When people go away and I'm on my own again, I breathe a deep sigh of relief and feel as if a tight band has been removed from around my lungs.

when i say act childish i mean things like when i was 10 kids my age could do all this math stuff but i couldnt work out how many pennies in a pound or clocks.

I still have trouble with clocks. ;) This problem will be solved if I become a nun. Nuns have a bell to signal the time, and besides...for them time is seen in the context of eternity. Who needs a clock?!

(I really wish my tutors would accept this reasoning.)
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby intowiz » Sat Nov 18, 2006 1:19 am

time is just a really good way of realising you should be somewhere
"Dance on, lads, you're young; I was once."
Old manx sailor, Moby dick
intowiz
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby intowiz » Sat Nov 18, 2006 1:38 pm

i can do that stuff now though
"Dance on, lads, you're young; I was once."
Old manx sailor, Moby dick
intowiz
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Creative » Sat Nov 18, 2006 6:37 pm

I used to be immature for my age but I don't think I am anymore. I just seem as though I am because my parents do a lot of of practical tasks for me. I am trying to do more for myself but they still do most of the cooking which I find difficult.
When I was 16 I was very immature for my age. I was very naive and didn't realise if I was in danger or behaving inappropriatley. I have learnt these skills quite well now. In some areas I would say I was ahead of some people my age. Why I was immature at 16 was a result of having been off school with depression/anxiety due to bullying. I was very unwell for a while. When I got better I was hyperactive. I also wanted to be 11 again because that is when I felt safer because I was not being bullied then. I went to a specail college and I played with Lego. At 16 I was plasying with it! I understand now why I was acting so young. But I think I am mature enough now.
Creative
Forum God !

Postby Hermionefan5 » Sat Nov 18, 2006 11:40 pm

parnassus wrote:I would say I am alot more mature in certain areas than most people my age, but a tad immature in others.

Yeah, me too.
Image is from "Gilmore Girls" Season 1
"You are the same as everyone else."--"Forrest Gump"
"I want you to go out there and skate for these people like I have seen you skate."--"The Cutting Edge"
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Sun Nov 19, 2006 5:20 pm

parnassus wrote:I still have trouble with clocks. This problem will be solved if I become a nun. Nuns have a bell to signal the time, and besides...for them time is seen in the context of eternity. Who needs a clock?!

(I really wish my tutors would accept this reasoning.)

Douglas Adams wrote: Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so.

I used to have problems with clocks but I don't any more, although I have a poor sense of the passage of time. I can lie in the bath for an hour and not think I've been there very long.
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Postby bpcooper » Sun Nov 19, 2006 7:08 pm

I have real trouble sharing but in the way i see maturity i belive we are more mature than normal people
bpcooper
Mega Poster

Postby pinkparrot » Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:40 pm

I've finally got around to replying to this thread! :lol:

I had a friend in the same year as me when I was in Year 1 and I have friends in my year now, in Year 11. But in between all my friends have been younger than me. In primary school – Years 4 to 6 - I had about ten friends in the year below me and we used to play either imaginary games or running games like Cops and Robbers. Sometimes we played “I Am the Greatest” but I had to judge because I couldn’t do a handstand. I must have played with them an awful lot because I can still remember faces. One of the friends I made then is still my best friend now.

I’m still not sure whether I was really that immature then because during “Bulldog” I had a cunning plan. While everyone else ran across to the other side and back I discovered that I could walk calmly across and never get caught! I was a much bigger reader than I am now. I also remember sneaking into cloakrooms to get paper during lunchtimes.

As for sharing things, it depends what it is. I am quite happy to lend out school supplies because I don’t care that much if they don’t come back. Even now, I go into school at the beginning of the week with five pens and leave with one. I don’t like lending games to my sister because she is careless with them and it’s not unusual to find her own games on the floor. I usually don’t like lending things out because they don’t come back, usually because I forget about them. Once in Year 1 I took a board game to someone’s house to play with and I still haven’t got it back yet!

This week I’ve been working at a nursery. I’m loving it, but I tend to get a bit carried away. Once I nearly used up all the play dough while making a monster and today I helped a small group of boys make a big…er…thing out of colourful disc-shaped construction pieces. I pay more attention during story time than half of them! I’m happy to join in the imaginary games and things. I’ve been drawing my own pictures, getting down playing with the little toy sets, building with Lego and if I thought I could get away with it I’d be painting too.

My own interests can also be quite childish. I am still attached to some children’s’ books (e.g. Elmer), one nursery rhyme (Aiken Drum), some soft toys (Eeyore) and some songs from children’s programmes (Lazy Town, The Wiggles.) I am obsessed with Pokemon, but I think that’s more of a cult thing. I am also quite fond of Digimon but I lost interest after the D-3 series. I quite like to blow bubbles, when I get the chance to and enjoy reading fairy tales. Some of my most desperate desires are to have a children’s party, to get a remote-controlled car and to fit into Adventure Kingdom.

I am not interested in make-up, shopping or any of that stuff. I mainly play video games. I was into baby dolls until I was about 13. My interests in clothes and jewellery are very limited – unless I’m looking for them specifically or just happen to see them I don’t usually think about them at all.

Perhaps it is childish that manners don’t come naturally to me. I have to force myself to say things like “please” and “thank you” which can be very embarrassing.

I am also very happy playing with my sister’s friends. About a year ago I recall playing a game where I used an inflatable lava lamp as a ray gun. I would probably still be playing it if it hadn’t got thrown out. I still play with my sister a lot too.

I had tantrums as well – in my infant school years I was a very badly behaved little girl. I wouldn’t do errands for teachers and I refused to work during lesson time. They would have to literally pick me up with whatever they wanted me to carry and drag me to wherever I was supposed to put it. When I got kept in at break I’d whiz through the work and get play as well. In PE I’d get fed up and throw down my hockey stick. My only friend back then spent just as much time outside the Head’s office as I did but we often fell out because we were both very bossy.

In my later primary school years, when my younger friends weren’t there, I used to enjoy talking to teachers. I saw them as equals even then – I don’t think I actually called them “Sir” or “Miss” until I hit Year 8! I still enjoy talking to adults as much as talking to anyone else. I’ve discovered that having an older friend works too.
Ancilla sum xx
pinkparrot
As Mad As A Box Of Frogs !

Postby Hermionefan5 » Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:10 am

I still sleep with my teddy bear, but I know other people who do that. I also know a few others who don't wear makeup often.
Image is from "Gilmore Girls" Season 1
"You are the same as everyone else."--"Forrest Gump"
"I want you to go out there and skate for these people like I have seen you skate."--"The Cutting Edge"
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Shaun » Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:03 pm

I guess I was a little like that. I got easily agitated and had temper tantrums a lot when I was a kid. Now I suppose I act older than my age. I despise most of the similarly-aged in my college for being so childish.
Shaun
Forum Master

Postby C » Thu Nov 23, 2006 7:08 pm

I think in some ways I can act mature, however in other ways I act immature, as a lot of you have already said. As a child and young teenager I always got on better with both people younger than me (young children) and people older than me (adults) than people my own age. I can remember being in years 5 and 6 at primary school (age 9-10) and playing with the reception class at playtime (age 4-5). I agree with what Vicky said about needing the company of younger children as much as they needed hers; I could relate to those children far more than children my age. Now that I am older I don't have so many social difficulties with others my age, however I still prefer the company of young children!

Another area where I think I'm immature is when it comes to self-help skills. I think that people with dyspraxia are at a disadvantage because they typically have problems with fine motor and gross motor skills, sense of direction, sensory integration and visual perception. This can make it harder to do 'everyday' activities such as cooking, dressing and driving. Going out can make me feel anxious because I get worried about things such as getting lost or getting in a crowd and being panicky. I also think - and I am making a generalisation here - people with dyspraxia are often more innocent, gullible and naive than others. This can lead to people taking advantage of your vulnerability, however on the other hand peope may 'baby' you and do the tasks you find difficult for you, so that you never learn to do them yourself.
C
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby The Shadowscythe » Thu Nov 23, 2006 8:07 pm

I myself have been told, many, many times that i am an immature individual, but because of a lot of things I've had happen around me, when i get "mature" i often become depressed.

While i am capable of being responsible, keeping times, keeping my word, and helping people, I've always known that i am immature, but i LIKE being that way, it is a part of who i am, and I'm sorry that my mother (and her side of the family) don't understand this fact.
The Shadowscythe
Super Poster

Postby mattie » Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:42 pm

the good thing about being unpopular is that you don't have to worry about whether you're cool or not as most people don't give a shi* anyway because you're invisible to them anyway. that is why i have never worried about conforming because i can't anyway so i don't have to try. this has its advantages and means that i can be a lot more immature than people my age.

mattie.
mattie
Splendiferous Member

Postby Bladen » Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:06 am

I tend to be wild and not care about things. I act what is seen to be inappropriate or say stupid things, I never watch my tongue and my opinions can be seen as idiotic, unique and funny. I would say it's part of my personality. The whole "act your age" thingamajig is a bunch of horse balls.
Bladen
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Creative » Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:42 pm

I know I still look at lot younger than I am. One of the reasons for this is I don't wear makeup as I find it difficult to use.

I think I can come across as younger if I am unsure about a situation.
Creative
Forum God !

PreviousNext

Return to General Dyspraxia Chat