My Art Teacher

Stuck with your schoolwork? Post any questions or queries here and we'll all try to help.

My Art Teacher

Postby GirlInTheGraniteCity » Sun Dec 10, 2006 7:34 pm

I'm having a problem with my new art teacher, Ms B.

In August this year I was diagnosed with stress, anxiety and depression and I now see an adolescent psychologist. Since I feel down and feel too stressed out to do a lot of school work I've told quite a few of my teachers.

My mum decided to write a letter to Ms B as I find it hard to tell people straight to their face. Ms B said to me "OK, I'm not going to put any pressure on you. You can do whatever you want to do today" ('cos we have expressive, critical and design work to do).

I felt quite pleased and happy with her response. This lasted for another 6 days...

I wondered whether I should start a new painting 'cos the one I'd done, I had drawn the objects a bit too big to draw the rest of my objects (I had so far drawn a soup bowl with a handle and a scarf tucked in it). I went up to her to ask her what I should do. Her response was "Is this ALL you've done?!" so well, I just said yes. Then she started asking "Why is this line sloping?" (of the soup bowl). I'm not very good at giving direct responses unfortunately :(. What I wanted to say was that that's the way it's supposed to be. Then she asked me "Why have you drawn a cup like this?!". Again, I just didn't know what to say, what I wanted to say was that it was a soup bowl, now a cup. But it was too late, she had drawn lines over it, shoved it back in my face and told me to change it. So I was basically wasting my time the entire period.

She has seen my soup bowl before, a few times. She was the one who tucked the scarf into it in the first place. I think she was wasting my time on purpose, well that's what it REALLY felt like. Well, she said she wouldn't put any pressure on me, so much for that.

One of my friends who is 17 and has left school said that they hated Ms B, and that she apparently used to pick on him. My friend likes to dress in a goth type of way.

One of my other friends said that they had Ms B for art one year. There were these two girls in his class, both who dressed "differently". She said they were both RUBBISH at drawing, and apparently one was really really good at drawing.

I again, dress in a slight gothic way. I don't expect to never face any unfair treatment about this as a lot of people are close minded but I didn't expect to get this from my art teacher. I'm a nice person and I've never done anything to her and I can draw well. I've never really felt like she liked me all that much, and now it definately feels like she really doesn't like me, I'm sure it wasn't just her having a "bad day".

I really don't know what to do about this, help :(.

{{{[[[~~~~~~~~~~<<<<<<<OOOO♥OOOO>>>>>>>~~~~~~~~~~]]]}}}

Heyy I'm Caroline, add me on MSN if you like =D Peace out xxxxxx

GirlInTheGraniteCity
Forum Master

Postby pinkparrot » Sun Dec 10, 2006 9:33 pm

I also find it hard to talk to teachers about things like that.

Hmm. Actually drawing lines on your work seems rather an extreme reaction. Were they in pencil? Can you erase them? Does she draw lines on other people's work?

What do you mean by dressing slightly gothic? If it breaks the school dress code, it serves as an excuse for particularly nasty teachers to start on you. Others start because people can't work fast enough for them, which seems to be the case here. Though the dress thing does seem to be something of a pattern.

Like in writing, the quality of art can depend on who is looking at it, but even if your teacher disapproves that is no reason to take it out on you. It seems very odd that she only mentioned what was apparently wrong with your soup bowl after she had seen it several times. I'm also unsure about how a soup bowl with a handle could be mistaken for a cup.

Are you clear on what she means you to do by changing it? That sounds very vague. Whether she's a bully or not, you need to do your artwork properly. So I'd ask her exactly what she wants you to do. I think it's also a good idea to note this incident down with the date etc in case this becomes a long-term problem. Ask your parents what they think of this.

Anyhow, a jerk like her is the last thing you need at the moment. Try not to let it worry you. First impressions are often off the mark and perhaps she will get over it in time. Let us know how things go.
Ancilla sum xx
pinkparrot
As Mad As A Box Of Frogs !

Postby GirlInTheGraniteCity » Sun Dec 10, 2006 10:07 pm

Yepp, the lines were in pencil, but she drew them quite strongly, and no she doesn't draw on other people's work, well not that I've seen.

I don't break the school dress code rules. I wear some dark eye-make up (which is allowed), converse shoes, a school bag which is customized with gothic looking things and I wear some jewellery with skulls and stuff.

I told my mum about this, she doesn't like it. If this sort of thing persists, she wants to report it to the headteacher, but I wanted a few more opinions.

I will let you know how things go. I'm on exam leave right but I have to see her twice before my exam on the 15th.

GirlInTheGraniteCity
Forum Master

Postby GirlInTheGraniteCity » Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:13 am

Ahh you're right Emma.

I know since this has just been one incident that I shouldn't obsess over it but what my friends tell me is basically the same, she doesn't seem to change.

I want to take art next year and I don't want her to spoil it for me :(.

GirlInTheGraniteCity
Forum Master

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:25 pm

Just ignore her. Do your best and ignore anything unfair she does.
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Postby GirlInTheGraniteCity » Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:47 pm

Hehe yaaay! :D

GirlInTheGraniteCity
Forum Master

Postby Katielauren2001 » Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:19 pm

I had one teacher like that,and I just ignored her mean ways.I have problems with my art but my teacher is very understanding - don't worry everything will be fine .

Katie
Katielauren2001
Splendiferous Member

Return to Study Support