The Dangers of Dyspraxia: Safety Tips

Share any tips or ideas that you have which make living with dyspraxia easier.(Please start a new thread for each tip)

Postby Page » Fri Jun 02, 2006 2:59 am

Hermionefan5 wrote:
Always have a map with you so you can know where you are going and so you have less chance of getting lost.

To me, maps do more harm than good when I'm trying to read them while I'm driving b/c it takes me awhile to find where I have to go, the more detailed the map is the worse it is for me. I instead plan my trips in advance and make heavy use of mapquest.com to get step-by-step driving directions, which I print out and tape to my steering wheel when I'm going to places that I'm not familiar with.
Page
Mega Poster

Postby Hermionefan5 » Fri Jun 02, 2006 4:59 am

Page wrote:
Hermionefan5 wrote:
Always have a map with you so you can know where you are going and so you have less chance of getting lost.

To me, maps do more harm than good when I'm trying to read them while I'm driving b/c it takes me awhile to find where I have to go, the more detailed the map is the worse it is for me. I instead plan my trips in advance and make heavy use of mapquest.com to get step-by-step driving directions, which I print out and tape to my steering wheel when I'm going to places that I'm not familiar with.

Yeah maps are complicated for me as well, but if you figure out landmarks that are by the place you are going (for ex. by my house there is a Target, a Portillo's Hot Dogs, and a Dominick's grocery store, along with a Junior high school and a Catholic Church) then you can write these things on the map so you know where to turn, etc. Sorry, I should have made myself more clear. I kind of meant to say that before...
Image is from "Gilmore Girls" Season 1
"You are the same as everyone else."--"Forrest Gump"
"I want you to go out there and skate for these people like I have seen you skate."--"The Cutting Edge"
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

hi can u help me

Postby daddyzgirl » Fri Jun 02, 2006 6:32 am

:( :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
i have to get my dyspraxia confirmed but i am not coping well at all
pm me please and give me advice.
one thing is that yesterday i was playing with my amazing ally that i got a year after they came out.
she is really old and has broken so told my sis oh i know il get the new better one amazing amanda she is way good and has voice recognition so she can tell if your her mum or not and much more
( i am 14 now 15 30th dec)
so i told my mum that when we go down town today could we go in argos so that i can see the prize of something she said what and i told her so she said a doll for you? you want a doll? giving me a weird look.
i have panic attacks all the time is that to do with dyspraxia. i also have nightmares bad ones most nights
help :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
daddyzgirl

Re: hi can u help me

Postby Page » Mon Jun 05, 2006 3:17 am

daddyzgirl wrote: :( :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
i have to get my dyspraxia confirmed but i am not coping well at all
pm me please and give me advice.
one thing is that yesterday i was playing with my amazing ally that i got a year after they came out.
she is really old and has broken so told my sis oh i know il get the new better one amazing amanda she is way good and has voice recognition so she can tell if your her mum or not and much more
( i am 14 now 15 30th dec)
so i told my mum that when we go down town today could we go in argos so that i can see the prize of something she said what and i told her so she said a doll for you? you want a doll? giving me a weird look.
i have panic attacks all the time is that to do with dyspraxia. i also have nightmares bad ones most nights
help :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

I didn't really understand much of that, please try to clarify and I'll see what I can do to help.
Page
Mega Poster

Postby parnassus » Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:36 am

Daddyzgirl, if you want to play with dolls don't feel ashamed of it. Most girls your age no longer want dolls - they're more interested in other things - but that doesn't mean you have to be. I am nineteen years old and a student at university. I still sleep with my favourite cuddly toy (a pink rabbit named Big Ears) and I unashamedly have conversations with him! This is probably due to the fact that for many years Big Ears was the only friend I had.

People with dyspraxia are often immature in their choice of social activities - or, as I prefer to say it, 'more imaginative'. Don't worry about it. You must lead life at your own pace otherwise you will end up feeling very stressed and unhappy.

To get your dyspraxia confirmed, you need to do one of two things:

a.) Print off the Dyspraxia Foundation's symptoms, tick the ones that apply to you, and show it to either your class teacher or the special needs teacher at your school. They can arrange for you to have a proper test for dyspraxia.

b.) Print off the symptoms, take them to your doctor, and ask for a referral to someone who can test for dyspraxia, such as an educational psychologist.

Good luck :)
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby tears_on_a_pillow » Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:23 pm

If you dont feel safe or able to travel alone get someone to do a practice run or couple of practices for you so you can familirise yourself with the route
tears_on_a_pillow
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Page » Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:27 am

When using cutlery, keep at least an inch of space between the blade and your finger. When using a chef's knife, rock it back and forth over what you are cutting instead of chopping with it--its a lot safer.

Also, this may sound strange and counter-intuitive, but keep your knives SHARP- the sharper the better, b/c they'll cut with less effort. Dull knives require more force to cut something, and combined with poor muscle control typical of dyspraxia, this can be dangerous b/c the knife can slip and cut you. (I have the scars to prove it)
Page
Mega Poster

Postby Page » Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:32 am

Also, avoid excessive amounts of alcohol if you're dyspraxic. You can probably get away with a glass of a decent pinot noir or chardonnay or the occasional bottle of lager, but avoid any more than that. The reason is that since our balance and coordination is already impaired to begin with, alcohol makes it worse and as a result you can really get hurt.
Page
Mega Poster

Postby tears_on_a_pillow » Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:34 am

Page wrote:Also, avoid excessive amounts of alcohol if you're dyspraxic. You can probably get away with a glass of a decent pinot noir or chardonnay or the occasional bottle of lager, but avoid any more than that. The reason is that since our balance and coordination is already impaired to begin with, alcohol makes it worse and as a result you can really get hurt.

Alchohol has never really affected me in terms of my coordination .. thankfully
x
tears_on_a_pillow
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Page » Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:39 am

tears_on_a_pillow wrote:
x

It definitely affects my coordination and balance. After a fifth of vodka, the people who I was with could walk fine, but I could barely stand up without falling over immediately.
Page
Mega Poster

Postby tears_on_a_pillow » Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:44 am

Thats not good, although I have a strong tolerance to alchcol
tears_on_a_pillow
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Re: The Dangers of Dyspraxia: Safety Tips

Postby Page » Thu Jun 15, 2006 6:15 am

parnassus wrote:Dyspraxic teenagers can sometimes find themselves in danger. The danger may stem from being too trusting and naive (not being able to tell when a person or situation is threatening, for example)

This is definitely true. I tend to trust people that I meet by default, and I generally try to look for the best in people instead of assuming the worst about them. Sometimes this pays off, other times it has been detrimental for me.

I try to do good things for people and I do my best to be nice to everyone that I meet. Hovever, some of the worst people out there can pretend to be your friend and simply use you for your kindness and then throw you away when they've had enough. This has happened to me.
Page
Mega Poster

Postby carrie » Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:50 pm

Page wrote:
tears_on_a_pillow wrote:
x

It definitely affects my coordination and balance. After a fifth of vodka, the people who I was with could walk fine, but I could barely stand up without falling over immediately.

champagne is my downfall i very rarely drink but had some at my school prom and was really struggling to walk/ stand
smile it could be worse

carrie

MY blog all about me and muy interests a bit like an online diary

http://runrigangelic.blogspot.com
carrie
Forum Master

Postby Katielauren2001 » Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:33 pm

I am not very good,at riding bikes or walking and always find it better to wear sensible shoes.Soft padded trainers are the most appropriate and I wouldn't recommend wearing heels.Today I tried on a pair of boots,which had the tiniest heel and I ended up nearly falling over in the shop.

1. Go in a group of people when,crossing the road and look carefully until you see the road is all clear.

2.Use special cutlery,you can get some from your Occupational Therapist.
Katielauren2001
Splendiferous Member

Re: The Dangers of Dyspraxia: Safety Tips

Postby EmmaPrincess » Fri May 04, 2007 11:22 pm

parnassus wrote:Dyspraxic teenagers can sometimes find themselves in danger. The danger may stem from being too trusting and naive (not being able to tell when a person or situation is threatening, for example) or from a complete inability to use an iron properly! Share your safety tips here.

well tbh, i find that i cant trust people, in any situation.

i just cant trust them, ive been deceived too many times, so i guess its had a effect on if i trust someone or not. even if the person is no harm to me, i just dont trust them. and i never let my guard down, i always mask myself from emotions and other people, my mum says i try to push them away if someone tries to help me, anyone know where this may come from?
EmmaPrincess
Forum Master

PreviousNext

Return to Dyspraxia Coping Tips