Extra time?

Stuck with your schoolwork? Post any questions or queries here and we'll all try to help.

Extra time?

Postby Radioactive_hairgel » Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:40 am

In my GCSE's i asked and recieved extra time on my exams- not much just an extra ten or so minutes at the end of the paper, but it made a world or diffrence- and my marks i got reflect that!
But i think that there going to take it away because i did so well somthing like " i don't need it anymore" it was probably only because i had extra time that i managed to get through the paper without completely losing my head, and i did have that extra time to help me sort my paper out at the end.
I think it's really unfair, and i am going to go and talk to them about it!
Could i appeal or somthing?
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. --Will Rogers

www.myspace.com/marthaduncanmusic
Radioactive_hairgel
Splendiferous Member

Postby parnassus » Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:49 am

Of course you can appeal! That's outrageous!

They seem to think that extra time is for less intelligent people and that anyone who receives good marks can't deserve it. Point out that you get it because of handwriting speed, an abnormally weak short-term memory, and a brain that often 'fades out'. Extra time is not awarded for lack of academic ability.
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby cookie-monster » Sun Jan 07, 2007 1:05 pm

I think i'd go insane if i had extra time, i normally finish really early and i did really well in my mocks
cookie-monster
Mega Poster

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Sun Jan 07, 2007 4:32 pm

If your Ed. Psych. says you are eligible for extra time, you should get it. If necessary, you may need to be re-assessed to prove you need it. Speak to your SENCO. If your SENCO won't listen get your parents to speak to him/her.
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Postby Dork_Lord » Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:06 pm

Surely being dyspraxic is reason alone for extra time.
Dork_Lord
Splendiferous Member

Postby Danni » Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:12 pm

It depends- if your gross motor skills are awful, but your fine motor skills are ok (so you can write normally) then there is less of a case for extra time than if your handwriting is slow and illegible. It's based on the student's needs, not just their diagnosis.
Purple penguin resistance member
Danni
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby cookie-monster » Sun Jan 07, 2007 9:51 pm

Danni is right, for example if put under pressure i can write quickly and it can still kinda be read, i have never had extra time or help so i don't see the point in me getting it
cookie-monster
Mega Poster

Postby Dork_Lord » Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:24 am

You should probably appeal against the decision. I write at normal speed so it was debated whether i should have extra time but in the end as all my writing is completely illegible i had extra time and a laptop in the gcse's.
Dork_Lord
Splendiferous Member

Postby Joss1991 » Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:57 pm

everyone one at my school has 25% extra time for GCSE and most people use it. However every student has to aplay for everything and if u get it you have to use it which i think is wrong (i got applied a laptop and reader as well as extra time , however my reading is fine its one teacher who think i will find it easier to understand if someone reads it too me ) and for science modules i got set a reader and luckly the teacher knew i could read so she just sat back and let me read it myself. However i found it easier being in a room by myself i still think i dont need a reader.
the darker it is the more stars you can see
Joss1991
Splendiferous Member

Postby parnassus » Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:13 am

It depends- if your gross motor skills are awful, but your fine motor skills are ok (so you can write normally) then there is less of a case for extra time than if your handwriting is slow and illegible. It's based on the student's needs, not just their diagnosis.

I don't think it's just a matter of writing speed. That is definitely my biggest problem in exams, but my short-term memory skills and attention span also play a large part. Often I forget the question in the middle of my answer. Or I 'zone out' and wake up in a panic to realise I've spent five minutes gazing into nothingness.
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby ace puddy » Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:49 pm

see on my exams im doing them right now and they give me ten mins extra but sometimes thats not enough, because what happens is if i dont know an answer right away i start daydreaming and its hard to concentrate so that wastes some time. lol sometimes daydreaming can be annoying but when i get bullied or my teacher is shouting at someone, i daydream just to make myself get away from it. my teacher literally screams at the pupils and i can stand the noise because i have sensitive hearing. its annoying but i wouldnt change myself for the world after all if i did change i wouldnt really be myself. :D :P :lol:
XxX Judy XxX - never give up on a miracle, because when you give up, you give up on a corner of a miracle. :D
ace puddy
Super Poster

Postby Danni » Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:28 am

parnassus wrote:

I don't think it's just a matter of writing speed. That is definitely my biggest problem in exams, but my short-term memory skills and attention span also play a large part. Often I forget the question in the middle of my answer. Or I 'zone out' and wake up in a panic to realise I've spent five minutes gazing into nothingness.

I know that- I was trying to think of an example of why having a dyspraxia diagnosis isn't an automatic pass to extra time. Sorry :(
Purple penguin resistance member
Danni
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Andy » Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:56 am

When I was doing my Pre lims The learning support (head) really messed up really he just hasnt a clue he came into my exam disrupting it and asked my scribe if I was nearly finished the avigilator told him that I still had my extra time to get and A***H*** said "just wind it up now and took the scribe away the avigilator was really angry and gave me my extra time also offered to scribe if I needed it. Fortunately I had finished I was just checking over my work. On another exam he changed the time of my exam without telling me and I got a phone call at home. :x
Andy
Splendiferous Member

Postby Radioactive_hairgel » Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:46 pm

good news guys!
I do get extra time after all, they had to check it and stuff- but i am entitled to it!
I get 25 extra minutes for my media exam on wednesday- which i feel will make a world of diffrence :D

Thanks for your support
XXX
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. --Will Rogers

www.myspace.com/marthaduncanmusic
Radioactive_hairgel
Splendiferous Member

extra time

Postby charlie14 » Wed Mar 28, 2007 4:38 pm

i get extra time for all of my exams which i don't think i need for all of them
charlie14

Next

Return to Study Support