Balance

Share any tips or ideas that you have which make living with dyspraxia easier.(Please start a new thread for each tip)

Postby sakura_celia » Sat Jul 22, 2006 2:15 pm

I've never been able to get the hang of riding a bike (I am twenty plus :) ), but I would like to learn to skate. I haven't been able to get that, either. But I think a big part of it is I haven't been able to practice skating very much. I can ride a bike for a few feet, and find the experience both exhilerating and terrifying. But the steering is hard and I can't have anything around or I run into it. Not sure if I should try riding on the road..
sakura_celia
Forum Master

Postby Goldenhamster » Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:18 pm

I could not ride a bike until age 12. Do any of you have difficulty balancing on those narrow wooden beams that you have to walk across in gym?
You don't have to be dyspraxic to be exeptional

But it helps!
Goldenhamster
Mega Poster

Postby cookie-monster » Sat Aug 19, 2006 3:12 pm

Goldenhamster wrote:I could not ride a bike until age 12. Do any of you have difficulty balancing on those narrow wooden beams that you have to walk across in gym?

I'm so bad at that, for prefect training we had to walk accross the room about 8 of us on two wooden planks, everyone had to hold me on because if you fell you had to start again
cookie-monster
Mega Poster

Postby Bladen » Sat Aug 19, 2006 4:01 pm

I got these shoes that go above my ankles so my balance is alot better, usually I trip over stuff or objects, I got no time to react and I go splat, oonf, ground. I can ride a 2 wheel bike but not skateboards, not enough footroom, I can ice skate a little but last time I did I couldn't move for a while from all the falling.
Bladen
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Page » Sat Aug 19, 2006 8:45 pm

I don't fall very often (I've gotten better at saving myself at the last second) , but I do tend to trip a lot. I only fall when I try to do something unusual which throws me off balance.
Page
Mega Poster

Postby Bladen » Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:59 am

does this happen to anyone: you're walking around and suddenly, you don't realize you're dragging your feet, you ram your foot off the edge of a pavement slab. IT HURTS! Sooo bad.
Bladen
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby carebear15 » Wed Nov 01, 2006 4:05 pm

i sure do have bad balance last week, i was on my sister bed and fell off and kept falling off and when i was standing up , i was falling into my sister and she was sitting in a chair.
carebear15
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby mattie » Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:47 pm

i have really cra* ballance. i hate heights in particular and can'[t stand any height of 3 feet or more.

mattie.
mattie
Splendiferous Member

Postby Katielauren2001 » Fri Dec 22, 2006 4:45 pm

I have bad balance,and usually always fall over! :oops:
Katielauren2001
Splendiferous Member

Postby Bladen » Sun Dec 24, 2006 2:46 am

My balance isn't as bad as it was when I was small. My height of 5'10 is mainly consisted of my legs, about 58% of my body height is from my legs and feet. I'm heavy footed too but it's always my left knee that gives me my problems. It's either in agony or it gives way an I almost fall over. My right knee is perfectly all right, considering the amount of times I hit something with my knees, e.g. TABLES!
Bladen
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby JamieB2712 » Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:01 pm

I tried to ride a Scooter down a Hill and fell off....It hurt a lot...especially since it was a road
JamieB2712

Postby Dork_Lord » Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:54 pm

I can ride a two wheeler bike but havent done so in years as i almost killed myself riding one
Dork_Lord
Splendiferous Member

Postby Andy » Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:49 pm

Thats funny Bladen its my left knee that always gives me bother. I am also very tall long legs. :roll:
Andy
Splendiferous Member

Postby parnassus » Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:10 pm

Bladen, do you have Marfan Syndrome? What you describe sounds extremely similar.
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby Charmbracelets » Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:55 pm

My balance is awful! I can ride a bike although I had to ride with stabilisers until I was 11. I cannot rollerskate, skateboard or iceskate though-my mother referred to my attempts to iceskate as "Bambi on ice!" I also tend to trip a lot but can sometimes manage to stop myself from falling. I find the worst thing is walking into door frames-they are nasty and I have almost knocked myself out on a few! I also have poor spatial perception when I am walking up a flight of stairs but funnily enough it's not as bad when I am walking down them-I do always hold on to the handrail if there is one though.
Charmbracelets

PreviousNext

Return to Dyspraxia Coping Tips