Advice for student?

Stuck with your schoolwork? Post any questions or queries here and we'll all try to help.

Advice for student?

Postby sakura_celia » Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:09 am

I have a student who struggles greatly in handwriting. He does not have an official diagnosis of any sort at this point, but definitely has trouble with fine motor and graphomotor skills. I also believe him to be gifted.

I had been grading his penmanship with him practicing single letters instead of the sentences that the other children were using. But, being a bright child, he eventually realized he was being given easier work.

I switched him to the regular work, and although he is not doing well, he is much more motivated. I talked to the principal about grading his work using a different scale. It hardly seemed fair to grade his work in comparison to the other children. Handwriting is not like math; you can't study for it.

The principal is recommending that I give him different, but simpler work, and she said that I may use my disgression in how to grade it. I would like advice on two points: first, how do I go about explaining to him why he doesn't have the same work as everyone else? Secondly, can anyone give general advice from the perspctive of someone who struggled with handwriting? I did and still struggle. I was able to write fairly legibly from the age of twenty-one on. I truly want what is best for this child, as does the principal. Typing his work is not possible at this point. Advice please!
sakura_celia
Forum Master

Postby Katielauren2001 » Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:54 pm

Maybe you should get a supply of Yoropens www.yoropens.com to see more information.They are good for handwriting problems,and they did help my sore hand,and made a few changes in my handwriting.

Also I use an alphasmart, a computer keyboard type thing.Which is a bit like a laptop but smaller and less up- to-date.I do not yet know a website but I shall try and get one.For now please see about yoropens.

Explain to him (if he has to use normal pens) that he is 'special' and that this is the reason he has different work.To be true I was and am not a messy writer but it is very sore to write.Avoid giving him different work because as you said he is bright but it is just his writing that is the problem.
Dyspraxia is me I would never change that :)
Katielauren2001
Splendiferous Member

Postby Hermionefan5 » Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:39 pm

I used to get cramps from the pencil after a while and I got a foam thing to go around it which helped me write better and feel more comfortable writing. Now I don't even have to use it anymore! :D
Image is from "Gilmore Girls" Season 1
"You are the same as everyone else."--"Forrest Gump"
"I want you to go out there and skate for these people like I have seen you skate."--"The Cutting Edge"
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:17 pm

Get him some handwriting practice books. The ones my Karma Einhorn are particularly good.
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Postby Katielauren2001 » Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:47 am

The yoropens site no longer works but if you search on your internet for the pens I am sure that you will be able to find a cheap reliable site for them.This is something I just discovered as I clicked on the link,(I was about to buy myself a couple new pens).Sorry about that.
Dyspraxia is me I would never change that :)
Katielauren2001
Splendiferous Member

Postby eoakley » Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:35 pm

Hi
I would try to avoid giving simpiler work as it will not be challanging enough for the child which could lead to boardom and frustration.
is it possible for the child to dictate what they want to write to someone or write it and if you cant read it can you ask the child what they have written I had to do this at primary school age as the teachers had no idea what my work said. I use triangle grips on my pens and pencils as this helps get better control of them.

Hope this helps

Emma
eoakley
Super Poster

Return to Study Support